• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Compensation for Soldiers

Aristodemus

I see there is a case before the High Court by a former soldier for compensation in respect of Post Traumatic Stress. Following on from the fiasco that was the Army deafness claims it seems we may be in for another "little earner" for the legal profession.
It seems that certain members of the armed forces now think it is against their human rights to have been put in harm's way whilst serving in the military. What a joke. I hope the case gets tossed to nip this in the bud.

scratchnsniff

I see there is a case before the High Court by a former soldier for compensation in respect of Post Traumatic Stress. Following on from the fiasco that was the Army deafness claims it seems we may be in for another "little earner" for the legal profession.
It seems that certain members of the armed forces now think it is against their human rights to have been put in harm's way whilst serving in the military. What a joke. I hope the case gets tossed to nip this in the bud.
May be he has a case, its hard to tell without some info. Do you have a link?
As we are talking about a single identifiable individual, I think we should tread carefully before making accusations of compo culture. It is possible this man is suffering from post traumatic stress, and if so he may be entitled to more than has been offered.

Aristodemus

Nearly 30 years ago. If you join the army, what do you expect to see?

B

boo-boo

Know what you are talking about

Nearly 30 years ago. If you join the army, what do you expect to see?
Do you even know what PTSD is? I suggest you read DSM IV.

First criterion

A person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following were present

1. The person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others
2. The persons response involved intense fear, helplessness or horror.

edg

What a joke. IMO, unless this "soldier" was ordered to do something illegal in which he developed PTS he should grow a pair and shut up.

Do these "soldiers" understand that the Irish army is not just the boy scouts for over 18s?

If you sign up for war, you will get war and war is hell. Its like a vegatarian complaing about her job at the butchers ffs.

scratchnsniff

What a joke. IMO, unless this "soldier" was ordered to do something illegal in which he developed PTS he should grow a pair and shut up.

Do these "soldiers" understand that the Irish army is not just the boy scouts for over 18s?

If you sign up for war, you will get war and war is hell. Its like a vegatarian complaing about her job at the butchers ffs.
PTS is a recognised condition that anyone can develop. If a soldier has his legs blown off the Army and state are expected to help him. This is no different. Some jobs are more dangerous than others, but the fact is that we need people to do them on our behalf. Those people deserve our respect and support, not judgement from the sidelines.

Fir Bolg

Its ironic that soldiers sign up to defend the state (and possibly die in the process) but in reality just end up robbing the state. Thieves in uniform.

scratchnsniff

Its ironic that soldiers sign up to defend the state (and possibly die in the process) but in reality just end up robbing the state. Thieves in uniform.
How do you reach that conclusion from this case. Do you believe that this individual is making things up? I would presume that his condition is not self diagnosed.

The Lighthouse Keeper

Post The Cheque In Order

Reading the article - it seems the soldiers from India are made of tougher stuff, and he should eat his own sandwiches rather than giving them away.
I would say he will make a remarkable recovery as soon as the cheque arrives in the post, go to the pub and have a feed of pints, and then come home and watch Blackhawk Down while laughing his head off. :mad:

Last edited:

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
These guys are paid more (Haven't checked but like any other state job in Ireland, would be willing to stake my reputation on it), and have less expected of them than the best trained and best funded miltary on earth who actually fight wars.

This is akin to a fisherman suing for getting wet and cold on the job.

How pathetic and coddled we have become.

former wesleyan

Great to see people for whom the most stressfull daily event would be a traffic jam pontificating about PTSD. If it's nothing, why do all armies now have counselling? There won't be a flood of cases because the DF have appointed a topnotch psychiatrist to provide help. Therefore the DF have no case to answer. On the question of the deafness claims the DF - presumably on the orders of bent politicians - provided inferior hearing protection. This has also been rectified. Please note that all armies use hearing protection.

former wesleyan

These guys are paid more (Haven't checked but like any other state job in Ireland, would be willing to stake my reputation on it), and have less expected of them than the best trained and best funded miltary on earth who actually fight wars.

This is akin to a fisherman suing for getting wet and cold on the job.

How pathetic and coddled we have become.
What reputation ? And what do you know about the specific requirements of peacekeeping ? And how do you know whether the ARW fight or not ?

Fir Bolg

How do you reach that conclusion from this case. Do you believe that this individual is making things up? I would presume that his condition is not self diagnosed.
He may or may not be making things up. I don't know. However, if I was to join an army I would expect to be placed in harms way at some stage and experience the harsh realities of being in a warzone, (i.e seeing multiple deaths first hand and witnessing acts of cruelty). What did this guy expect when he joined the army? Sit in the barracks all day and drink tea?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
What reputation ?
Ad hominum. But what I meant is, feel free to mock me if I am shown to be utterly wrong. But hey, go ahead.

And what do you know about the specific requirements of peacekeeping ? And how do you know whether the ARW fight or not ?
Specific requirements of peacekeeping?

There exists a book on requirements? I didn't think so. Please don't come on here and try to maintain that what the average 19 year old south carolinian might suffer in Iraq or Afghanistan getting paid E27k per annum equates to what an Irish solider (paid E33k) who will spend his time playing with gear in the imaal or the curragh will suffer. It should be an embarrassment, not a point of pride.

Americans go to war and GET SHOT AT/BLOWN UP/ CAPTURED / TORTURED/ BEHEADED and paid less than Irish soldiers. Forgive this citizen if he finds the idea of an coddled Irish soldier trying to work us over for more cash a little hard to stomach.

Edit: (p.s. just looked up stats for pay and guess what? Irish soldiers who are guaranteed never to be sent into a war zone to fight are paid more than americans who can find themselves in talebanistan 6 weeks after enlistment)

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Ad hominum. But what I meant is, feel free to mock me if I am shown to be utterly wrong. But hey, go ahead.

Specific requirements of peacekeeping?

There exists a book on requirements? I didn't think so. Please don't come on here and try to maintain that what the average 19 year old south carolinian might suffer in Iraq or Afghanistan getting paid E27k per annum equates to what an Irish solider (paid E33k) who will spend his time playing with gear in the imaal or the curragh will suffer. It should be an embarrassment, not a point of pride.

Americans go to war and GET SHOT AT/BLOWN UP/ CAPTURED / TORTURED/ BEHEADED and paid less than Irish soldiers. Forgive this citizen if he finds the idea of an coddled Irish soldier trying to work us over for more cash a little hard to stomach.

Edit: (p.s. just looked up stats for pay and guess what? Irish soldiers who are guaranteed never to be sent into a war zone to fight are paid more than americans who can find themselves in talebanistan 6 weeks after enlistment)
Israeli group accuses Irish Gaza investigator of anti-Semitism - The Irish Times - Thu, Feb 11, 2010
So you don't, by your own lights, believe Col.Desmond Travers? The Israelis never fired on Irish positions ?
Why is someone from South Carolina being held up as a template ? Surely one of the problems faced by the West is the almost total inability of the US Army to do anything other than spray 'n slay ? Who would send this 17 year old into a situation where he has to have the bottle NOT to open fire at the least provocation ? To be able to make a judgement ?
As for there being a book on peacekeeping see the folllowing link:-
Military College - continued.

Aristodemus

PTSD, load of rubbish. Years ago the response would have been "pull yourself together". As for suffering from it 30 years later, do me a favour.

former wesleyan

PTSD, load of rubbish. Years ago the response would have been "pull yourself together". As for suffering from it 30 years later, do me a favour.
Years ago soldiers suffering from it were pulled from the trenches and executed after a drumhead courtmartial.
Pull yourself together is the usual response to someone suffering from depression. Perhaps there's no such thing as depression "

The Fusilier

What qualified you to make this statement, might I ask? "Pull yourself together" sent a generation of maladjusted veterans onto American streets after Vietnam.