Compensation paid after woman asked about family during interview by Junior Minister

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/are-you-a-married-woman-compensation-paid-to-highranking-official-after-junior-minister-quizzed-her-on-family-life-during-job-interview-36301419.html

Workplace relations commission is paying compensation to a women asked if she was married and had kids during private secretary interview by a junior Minister in 2016

A lack of professionalism by the junior minister who knew he shouldn't be asking these questions

No parties are named and at the interview, the Junior Minister said to her “I shouldn’t be asking you this, but... ‘Are you a married woman?’ Do you have children? How old are your children?’.
In response, the government department stated that the minister of state was simply trying to put the complainant at her ease.
The questions asked were not intended to be intrusive and it was intended to be a “getting to know you” exercise and nothing in particular was meant by the line of questioning.
It was argued that the questions were asked in a particular context where the minister of state was anxious that any potential member of his team would be assured that he would be as flexible as he could be with them and in particular having regard to any external and or non-work commitments that they might have.
She thought she was capable and had time for the job otherwise she wouldn't have applied.

IT names John Halligan https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/john-halligan-asked-job-applicant-if-she-was-married-in-interview-1.3284370 as does the Indo now.

this is the WRC complaint/decision report
A Government Department Employee V A Government Department http://www.lrc.ie/en/Cases/2017/October/ADJ-00005366.html

Last edited:

silverharp

he should have just looked up her facebook account :D

Sync

2017 and you ask that question. Worse: You admit you know you shouldn't do it, then proceed to do it. Moron.

petaljam

2017 and you ask that question. Worse: You admit you know you shouldn't do it, then proceed to do it. Moron.
Yeah that bit made me laugh out loud. What sort of an idiot does that?

Mushroom

With brains like that, the real surprise is that Enda didn't make him (I'm assuming that it's a him) a full Minister!

Asked that question of 2 female interviewees 20 odd years ago, 1 complained it was sexist when she was turned down, she just wasn't good enough.

HR lady who sat with me had questioned me the first time I had asked the question but as interviewed 5 people, 3 males as well and asked them all the same question I was not attempting to be sexist just ensuring I understood their background.

Guy recruited had previously been turned down for a role 1 month previously because the person who got role, who worked for me was shagging her old boss, soon to become her new boss.

As turns out he had a 18 month old that he dropped off at nursery so came in late 4 days a week.

Sync

Uh I'm not sure how it was in olden days: The gender of the person you asked isn't relevant. It's a discriminatory question. How many children someone has isn't on the table in interviews.

I see nothing wrong with asking the question as long as you are consistent, not using it to judge and it has zero impact on your decision.
Just need to keep notes and file date stamped with HR.

I asked a Muslim interviewee did he fast during Ramadan, HR shocked but said we work together in a close team, therefore I would ask team members if they can avoid drining food into office during that time. He turned down the job offer but agency wrote to HR Director stating how he had got such a positive view of company because someone willing to consider that.

Mushroom

Anyway, why is a Minister of State interviewing?
Because it's essential that the two of them are compatible. The PS is an essential link between the MoS's political/constitutional activities and whatever departmental duties s/he may be assigned.

Never applied for one of those jobs myself, as it's a right pain in the hole, but for some, the allowance, the status, and the travel and sub makes it attractive.

Sync

I see nothing wrong with asking the question as long as you are consistent, not using it to judge and it has zero impact on your decision.
You seeing nothing wrong with it is 100% irrelevant.

Just need to keep notes and file date stamped with HR.
"But I EVIDENCED my discriminatory questions. That's ok right?"

I asked a Muslim interviewee did he fast during Ramadan,
Wow.

So you're a liability, and your HR team are terrible.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies