Competiveness BS

hammer

There seems to be a lot of "spin" out there that County Councils / Local Authorities are doing their bit in 2010 by reducing charges to businesses by varying amounts around the country.

Dublin County Council 2% cut.

On a 500 square foot retail unit being charged €4,200 in 2009 ( for provision of street lighting basically ) it is a saving of €84

Lets take on some new staff !!!!

Lets take on the World !!!!

If the Govt believe that 2% cuts and 6% wage cuts will make us more competitive World Wide they must be THICK

hammer

Just heard that the Government are considering increasing motor tax, once off , to help local councils repair roads. They need roughly €1 billion also.

Well at least until it snows again in late 2010

fiannafailure

Hammer a very large amount of the costs of doing business in Ireland are in the control of government.

This used to be a competitive place to do business, however vastly increased compliance costs and assorted red tape have really hurt our competitive position in recent years.

The price of energy is the second highest in the EU, Broadband costs are prohibitive.

The price of labour is beginning to become competitive but this being cancelled out by state costs

charley

the government think being competitive is 100 quangos doing the same thing

hammer

Full to the gills with patriots like

Joe, "Abington" Burke
Cecilia Larkin
Des Richardson
Tim Collins

When IBEC and right wing types talk about "competitiveness" they really mean making workers do longer hours for less money. All so they can increase profits and buy a new beamer.

fiannafailure

When IBEC and right wing types talk about "competitiveness" they really mean making workers do longer hours for less money. All so they can increase profits and buy a new beamer.
What about your local shopkeeper or mechanic, have they got new beemers.

Everyone has to make a choice in life, make your own job or ask someone else to make one for you.

What about your local shopkeeper or mechanic, have they got new beemers.

Everyone has to make a choice in life, make your own job or ask someone else to make one for you.
My local shopkeeper owns 3 businesses and drives a merc and his wife has a 4 x 4. I used to work in one of his shops and he's a c**t. Does absolutely no work himself except call in for 2 hours on a sunday morning to verbally abuse staff and tell them how useless they are.

fiannafailure

My local shopkeeper owns 3 businesses and drives a merc and his wife has a 4 x 4. I used to work in one of his shops and he's a c**t. Does absolutely no work himself except call in for 2 hours on a sunday morning to verbally abuse staff and tell them how useless they are.
You should have made the other choice then

hammer

Great news. Dublin City Council have reduced their rates saving me €9 per month making my business much more competitive and much more likely to employ more staff. :)

Legends.

MPB

Great news. Dublin City Council have reduced their rates saving me €9 per month making my business much more competitive and much more likely to employ more staff. :)

Legends.
Eamon Ryan announced a mortgage scheme that will protect mortgage holders yet is responsible for the ridiculously high electricity prices people are paying, causing them to struggle with mortgage repayments.

A legend alright.

powderfinger

Eamon Ryan announced a mortgage scheme that will protect mortgage holders yet is responsible for the ridiculously high electricity prices people are paying, causing them to struggle with mortgage repayments.

A legend alright.
With two more increases 'pencilled-in' in 2010 for starters.
The carbon tax will add 5% and the rise coming from increases in "network charges" will affect all domestic users later this year.

pjoz

"A government wedded to the idealogy of competitiveness is as unlikely to make good economic policy as a government committed to creationism is to make good science policy, even in areas that have no direct relationship to the theory of evolution"
Anybody know whose responsible for that quote?

staunch ff

Would bet any money you were the only one he thought useless and then got rid of you

charley

the state controls the main blockages to competitiveness

1 rates
2 energy costs
3 bereaucracy
4 prices set for cities i.e taxi fares
5 minimum wage need to be renegotiated

hammer

This Government when they spout about competitivness only mean other peoples wages.

My rates have been slashed by 2% - a saving of €9 per month. Wouldn`t go too far :)

Light & heat - The tossers have kept it artifically high to encourage new entrants. In the meantime every day 300 people are losing their jobs :(

Taxis - They are struggling even with these fares.

Bureaucracy - Keeps PS in employment - will never ease. Gets worse every year.

Minimum wage - cut employers prsi to say 4% on the min wage

At the end of the day :) not one politician every employed more than 10 people and the DOF doesn`t run any type of business. We need an expert committee where business people volunteer their time and perform their patriotic duty and come up with ideas :)

Harmonica

the state controls the main blockages to competitiveness

1 rates
2 energy costs
3 bereaucracy
4 prices set for cities i.e taxi fares
5 minimum wage need to be renegotiated
Add anything that is a public (or private) monopoly. e.g. Transport... The list is endless. The government should concern itself with removing any monopolises or restrictions in supply & let the market forces do the rest.

hammer

Our Government speaks of competiveness :(

They must only mean wages as all other costs are increasing.

Rent
Commercial rates
Waste charges
Light & heat
Petrol
Diesel
Car insurance
House insurance
PRTB fees
Bus fares
Train fares
Toll charges
Parking charges
Passport charges
DPS threshold
A&E fees
Private healthcare

As I said total BS

If we are going back to 2007 price levels how come these are all at 2011 price levels, SIGNIFICANTLY higher than 2007 levels :(

slumdog1971

Our Government speaks of competiveness :(

They must only mean wages as all other costs are increasing.

Rent
Commercial rates
Waste charges
Light & heat
Petrol
Diesel
Car insurance
House insurance
PRTB fees
Bus fares
Train fares
Toll charges
Parking charges
Passport charges
DPS threshold
A&E fees
Private healthcare

As I said total BS

If we are going back to 2007 price levels how come these are all at 2011 price levels, SIGNIFICANTLY higher than 2007 levels :(
The Gov doesn't have too much control over a lot of these costs.

Look at the profiteering that is still going on with Petrol / Diesel. I believe we should be charging some of these businesses with corrupt practices.

We should be enforcing the anti cartel / profiteering that is widespread in this pit of a country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies