Compulsory arbitration law needed for hospital strike by nurses

Patslatt1

Says the clown who has no problem with massive bailouts and subsidies to big business - at enormous costs to the vast majority of the population.

Absolutely - except the right-wing mantra of 'efficiencies' means job cuts, wage cuts and worse working conditions as the ruling elites attempt to get blood from the stone.

If you want to improve the lot for patients you could start with stopping the massive public subsidies to private health and big pharma - that would provide funding for the nurses (and doctors) pay rise, improving working conditions and improve retention rates, as well as make funding available for the provision of badly needed primary care - all of which would massively help any and every patient.
The subsidies to private health care come from the taxes of people getting the care.

If the public hospitals were capable of efficient management, your argument would have merit. Given that TDs acting like councillors keep 27 acute care hopitals from being cosolidated when maybe half that number or fewer are needed, plus the unions' restrictive practices that completely undermine management's authority in health care, there is no chance the public system can provide an efficient service in the foreseeable future.

Maybe if the health care demands of the rapidly growing over 70s population bring the system to its knees, really radical reforms in "Angola" can happen.

Patslatt1

I have supported the Nurses up to now. But I hear that some public patients are being told no operations or scans next week. Also what will Nurses spend any money they receive on?
1. Trips to Japan for RWC with spouses - I hope not
2. Going to Brown Thomas for new outfits- I hope not
When I asked a retired public sector acquaintance if he supported the nurses' strike as a former ps worker, he just said that his two consultant appointments for suspected lymphatic cancer and follow up heart disease diagnostics were cancelled. I didn't need to press him for a yes or no.

Patslatt1

That is hardly surprising - Australia has a massive shortage of nurses, many nurses go their because they have good wages, good working conditions and excellent training opportunities. Many then leave and go other places.

A massive proportion of health spending in Ireland goes on subsidies to private health and big pharma.

Yea - 60,000 on the streets of Dublin - it blew your contention that ordinary people don't support the nurses completely out of the water
58,000 of them public sector workers and their family members according to my beermat survey watching the 6 Nations!

Patslatt1

Yes many of us have a year of sun and fun in Oz before returning home. Most of those irish nurses will be back.

Derisory crowd, full of the usual serial protestors and punters looking for a knock on pay rise by most accounts. Very little coverage of it either

INMO wanna try and get a solution based on allowances before middle ireland attitude turns from disinterest to hostility.

Would wonder how many of the alleged 60k are even aware the nurses are already getting a 7% payrise under the agreement they signed up.
Government bonds in the EU are predicting very little inflation, so the pay demands are outrageous as if we were suffering Celtic Tiger inflation.

Patslatt1

58,000 of them public sector workers and their family members according to my beermat survey watching the 6 Nations!
The government's toleration of intolerable hospital strikes suggests the Irish public will put up with anything.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies