Compulsory public service cards for all

Upper Chamber

Passport applicants will have to have State

This seems to have provoked little reaction. It seems they will not be compulsory except if you want to apply for such minor items as a passport or a driving licence and therefore just about anything else.

I don't have a public service card, I don't want one and I don't need one. I pay large amounts of tax but have never claimed any social welfare in my life other than statutory sick leave for a few weeks. I understand people are being directed to come in to the relevant state offices to be photographed and issued one. Frankly I object to this nonsense being stuck in in any form, it is a mandatory ID card by the back door introduced under 'we'll we have to because of terrorists' lie.

The last couple of days may have been good ones to bury bad news but I happened Paschal O'Donohue gets badly caught out on this.

Mushroom

The deranged Fish already has a thread about this.

I'm certain that he'll be delighted to make room in his cave for you, although you'd be well advised to bring your own hooch.

Mad as Fish

The deranged Fish already has a thread about this.

I'm certain that he'll be delighted to make room in his cave for you, although you'd be well advised to bring your own hooch.
That thread is obviously hurting I'm pleased to note.

Mad as Fish

Passport applicants will have to have State

This seems to have provoked little reaction. It seems they will not be compulsory except if you want to apply for such minor items as a passport or a driving licence and therefore just about anything else.

I don't have a public service card, I don't want one and I don't need one. I pay large amounts of tax but have never claimed any social welfare in my life other than statutory sick leave for a few weeks. I understand people are being directed to come in to the relevant state offices to be photographed and issued one. Frankly I object to this nonsense being stuck in in any form, it is a mandatory ID card by the back door introduced under 'we'll we have to because of terrorists' lie.

The last couple of days may have been good ones to bury bad news but I happened Paschal O'Donohue gets badly caught out on this.
An ID card to get a passport eh. Now over in Germany you have one or the other, you do not need both, so if the Germans, with harsh memories of state domination, feel that such a safety measure against totalitarianism is necessary then why should Ireland think differently?

Mushroom

That thread is obviously hurting I'm pleased to note.
I always enjoy exchanging banter with those who dance to the music of a different composer.

Orbit v2

Yet another stupid idea from a civil service silo, where one branch can't work with the others. In the US, the driving license is the de-facto ID card. There should be only one. Getting an ID card purely so you can obtain a different one, is just mad.

Mad as Fish

Yet another stupid idea from a civil service silo, where one branch can't work with the others. In the US, the driving license is the de-facto ID card. There should be only one. Getting an ID card purely so you can obtain a different one, is just mad.
I certainly don't think it has been thought through. If it has then the implication is that the government does indeed wish to implement a totalitarian state where our functioning within society relies on their permission. Such permission may be implicit but it can be withdrawn at any time.

Mushroom

Good to hear it. I should imagine that Wagner, conducted by the authoritarian and keen Nazi party member, Herbert Von Karajan, would find favour with you.
As I passed through my mid-fifties, I found myself - very unwillingly - becoming more impressed by the music of Wagner. In my earlier years - when I thought that I had all the answers - I would simply have switched stations. I never really liked Karajan because of his dictatorial tendencies, although some of his Beethoven and Mahler recordings are excellent. But my favourite conductor has always been Klaus Tennstedt.

I assume that your fading poster of the great Morrissey still has pride of place above the gas fireplace of your dingy student flat? (Have you thrown out your Rolf Harris's Greatest Hits LP yet?)

Mad as Fish

As I passed through my mid-fifties, I found myself - very unwillingly - becoming more impressed by the music of Wagner. In my earlier years - when I thought that I had all the answers - I would simply have switched stations. I never really liked Karajan because of his dictatorial tendencies, although some of his Beethoven and Mahler recordings are excellent. But my favourite conductor has always been Klaus Tennstedt.

I assume that your fading poster of the great Morrissey still has pride of place above the gas fireplace of your dingy student flat? (Have you thrown out your Rolf Harris's Greatest Hits LP yet?)
Still going for the messenger I see

I actually deleted that post because it was dragging this down to a handbagging session. But good to note that you are taking time to compose your responses.

Mushroom

But good to note that you are taking time to compose your responses.
Unsurprisingly, I decided that enjoying a nice cup of coffee and a coffee slice with my soulmate was marginally more important to me than continuing to tease out some of the finer points of your psyche.

dizillusioned

ANYHOOOOOOOOO..... why should I need one of these to replace my Passport and drivers license?

Clanrickard

Stop being a mug and stay on topic.

Mushroom

Stop being a mug and stay on topic.
The real mug (if we exclude you!) is the person who opened this thread in the "Justice" category

about a card that is being issued by the DSP - NOT by the Department of Justice

that will be required for passports or driving licences - NEITHER being the responsibility of the Department of Justice

and then complains about Paschal O'Donohoe - who is NOT the Minister for Justice.

A pretty muggy all-round performance as I'm sure you'd agree!

If you're interested in discussing the topic, rather than acting as a mug's sidekick, then I warmly invite you to participate in the original thread that was opened a month ago by the Deranged Fish to discuss this riveting topic!

(There is an even older thread about this topic that opened almost a decade ago, but as the Fish failed to re-activate it, it's been slumbering quietly for the last 9 years so we'll leave it alone.)

Last edited:

dizillusioned

Because it makes it easier for everyone. And makes public administration cheaper and more efficient.

Any other questions?
It is not "easier" for everyone..... I live in the US hence I have to go back to Ireland to get one of these??????

Interestingly "easier"

Mad as Fish

Because it makes it easier for everyone. And makes public administration cheaper and more efficient.

Any other questions?
Prove it.

Liberty does not come without a price. Where does your logic lead?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
It is not "easier" for everyone..... I live in the US hence I have to go back to Ireland to get one of these??????

Interestingly "easier"
You've upset me now. Six question marks in a row. SIX!

Can you explain why each of those poor punctuation symbols was absolutely necessary?

My point stands, by the way.

Why would you have to go home to get an ID card if the card is only required for residents?

Mushroom

New Threads

Most Replies