Comreg Facilitates Sky, Ryanair etc in Breaking European Law

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
The latest Here's How podcast has just gone online.

One issue covered is the use of 0818 numbers by companies for their customer service lines. These numbers cost up to 50c per minute to call, and part of this revenue goes to the companies taking the call. This practice is explicitly outlawed by European law.

Comreg are helping these companies to evade the law by classifying 0818 as not a premium rate line. For everyone else, premium rate line is one that costs way more than normal, and part of the revenue goes to party receiving the call. Comreg have simply redefined 'premium rate' to mean 'not a customer service line', so the companies can charge as much as they like for the calls.

Hear the full interview on the podcast:

jmcc

Any comment from ComReg? (For those of us who can't listen to the podcast at work.)

agamemnon

Comreg has only one task, and that's to ensure Eir facilitate other telcos to make substantial profits without said telcos having to make substantial investment in costly infrastructure.
Try making a complaint to them about any telco other than air or about the postal service - they don't want to know, and that's why the National Broadband plan is going down the toilet!

firefly123

If you can do a bit of googling many of these have a standard landline number to call (if you're overseas etc). Just call that and you get through without the costs

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
If you can do a bit of googling many of these have a standard landline number to call (if you're overseas etc). Just call that and you get through without the costs
Actually the companies have got wise to this and are closing down those numbers, or connecting them to a message telling you to ring the 0818 number.

Prester Jim

I tried that, it doesn't work, I also tried leaving Sky through their email addresses and through calls they gave me to time engineer visits, in both cases they said that I had to ring their premium line to leave and I know from other sources that this call takes a minimum of 20 minutes before they deign to speak to you and make you jump through hoops and listen to their hard sell on your own dine for a further 20 minutes.
Absolutely unacceptable and against the law everywhere else in the EU but our regulators are the worst and our govt has a default line of kowtowing to corporations unless forced otherwise.
BTW, just got a new letter three months later saying that I owe them 30 yoyos because my direct debit was stopped.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
I tried that, it doesn't work, I also tried leaving Sky through their email addresses and through calls they gave me to time engineer visits, in both cases they said that I had to ring their premium line to leave and I know from other sources that this call takes a minimum of 20 minutes before they deign to speak to you and make you jump through hoops and listen to their hard sell on your own dine for a further 20 minutes.
Absolutely unacceptable and against the law everywhere else in the EU but our regulators are the worst and our govt has a default line of kowtowing to corporations unless forced otherwise.
BTW, just got a new letter three months later saying that I owe them 30 yoyos because my direct debit was stopped.
It's worth noting that over 80 per cent of all telephone connections - and a greater proportion of private connections - are now mobile. Most people buy credit rather than are on billpay, and it would be unusual for people to have more than €20 credit on their phone. At 50c per minute, that would all be burnt on that call.

So a very likely scenario here is that you call, and just as you are getting to the point of the call, you are cut off because you have run out of credit. This danger is magnified by the fact that - unlike 15X numbers - Comreg does not require the huge cost of these calls to be advertised with the number, and their form 0818 numbers seem deliberately designed to give the impression that they are free or cheap to call.

popular1

there is a website called

say no to 1890

which lists alternative landline numbers for most of these numbers

Filibuster

Technically they're "national rate" but they allow the telcos to exclude them as "non geographic" so they're charged outside your normal landline / mobile bundle at an extortionate "standard rate" - It's a complete joke.

Half Nelson

Not Comreg too!

Say it ain't so..!:cry:

OrderoftheDragon

Comreg are fu3king useless from personal experience, but then what irish regulator ever did a proper job ?

Orbit v2

Given that they allowed actual premium rate ripoff services for so long (and maybe still do) it doesn't surprise me that this ripoff was facilitated by them as well.

A similar scam is competition lines (euro to enter by text) run by RTE & others. Viewers/listeners should be told up front that the prize is being funded directly by the entrants and they might be making a profit as well. You should know clearly when you are entering a free competition as opposed to a commercial money making one.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies