Confused Labour Supporter

LeftOfCentre

Have been a labour Voter for a decade & a member for a few years.

As we get closer to this election, I'm really struggling to see how a LAB/FG coalition would represent my political views.

I don't want my vote to aid Loe Varadkar & co to implement their anti worker / anti working class Tory style agenda.

While I've always felt too left for Labour, this was appeased by the the many genuinely left leaning folk within the Party, but I'm extremely concerned that supporting Labour, Is supporting FG's right wing agenda.

I'm honestly questioning what I should do.

I respect my vote and will think it through , and would not canvas unless I was doing it with conviction, , , ,and blindly seeking power is definitely not a motivating factor.

Any genuine thoughts anyone ?

livingstone

Genuine thoughts are that the next Government is going to be some combination of Labour and Fine Gael. This is a necessity because of how the numbers look to stack up.

As such, if you are a left wing voter, I think voting to give Labour the strongest possible voice in that Government and, ideally, to lead that Government, is the best use of a left wing vote.

trendy

Listening to Joan today in the Dail & tonight on Prime Time, I'm not surprised by your confusion! She was brutal, end of.

Cael

Have been a labour Voter for a decade & a member for a few years.

As we get closer to this election, I'm really struggling to see how a LAB/FG coalition would represent my political views.

I don't want my vote to aid Loe Varadkar & co to implement their anti worker / anti working class Tory style agenda.

While I've always felt too left for Labour, this was appeased by the the many genuinely left leaning folk within the Party, but I'm extremely concerned that supporting Labour, Is supporting FG's right wing agenda.

I'm honestly questioning what I should do.

I respect my vote and will think it through , and would not canvas unless I was doing it with conviction, , , ,and blindly seeking power is definitely not a motivating factor.

Any genuine thoughts anyone ?
A vote for Labour is a vote for the IMF banksters and their rape of our country.

civilserpant

how exactly are FG anti worker? ffs, I mean seriously?
FG recommended not touching min wage and cutting 260m from the public service bill, lab recommended 400m savings...

am i missing something, aside from buying into spin about Varadkar???

cluainsaileach

I really admire your honesty. I have met some really good labour people with whom I'd be very comfortable supporting however I live in Dublin West and find it astonishing that Labour would for a second contemplate putting Varadkar into the front bench!! I remember speaking to members of the Labour party after the 1992 general election and the spring tide and I said that the gains they had won would disappear if they went on with FF, (I should have put money on it!!)I believe Labour would be going into a worse scenario after the next election.
Cards on the table, I'm a shinner.

PUFF DADDY

I registered for labour party 3 yrs ago. Slowly, Slowly and now fastly, I am off to FG

Their (fg) gave a REAL ALTERNATIVE BUDGET instead of the fluffing around that is LAB.

Noonan WON ME OVER BIG TIME TODAY, he broke down this FF budget in detail ! Joan wrote her speech weeks ago - apres match.

FG1 for me and yep enda is enda, but he has the team and fresh ideas etc.

YouTube - michael noonan budget

Roll_On

I'm half tempted to vote SF out of anger, but I seriously don't think they are capable of the job. Right now i'm stuck between FG and Lab

Roll_On

I registered for labour party 3 yrs ago. Slowly, Slowly and now fastly, I am off to FG

Their (fg) gave a REAL ALTERNATIVE BUDGET instead of the fluffing around that is LAB.

Noonan WON ME OVER BIG TIME TODAY, he broke down this FF budget in detail ! Joan wrote her speech weeks ago - apres match.

FG1 for me and yep enda is enda, but he has the team and fresh ideas etc.

YouTube - michael noonan budget
+1 that's the thing, labour's policies are transient and vague. At least FG have some ACTUAL policy.

LeftOfCentre

some sensible replies thanks,

It really will be a difficult decision.

PS - re FG - ... ok I forgot that this site is 90 % mud slinging ! (I've been away from.ie for a while) ...... Ok anti worker is just my opinion ! .... basically I am pro Big Government & The nationalisation of main utilities etc..... I respect a well thought out right wing argument (as appossed to the .. Well Daddy's rich so lets vote FG) , but i respectfully believe they're wrong and dont have the belief in 100% equality at their core.

Basically .... I deplore the right wing Varadkar tinge throughout FG....

But i'm not looking to debate the rights & wrongs of FG ..... just that there right wing views dont match mine ...... so how ... in all consciousness, could I allow my vote to support their agenda.

new jewell

My advice would be to stay in Labour and try and change it's direction you are not alone, its leadership is power hungry.

Sync

The next govt's going to be FG/Lab with FG as the larger party. The only question is how much influence Labour will have on that govt. The more TDs they have, the more influence they'll have. So you've a choice between voting/canvassing for Lab and try and influence that govt, or vote/canvas for another of the more lefty parties.

Roll_On

My personal problems with FG:

-They hate students.
-They hate the gays.
-Their transport policy makes me want to cry.
-Their plans to privatize everything thatcher style, will be even more disasterous for us than it was for the UK.

My personal problem with labour:

-Haven't a clue about how to manage the economy
-They support the continued existence of the senate, lord mayors in every town and lots of ridiculous spending.

Chrisco

I'm half tempted to vote SF out of anger, but I seriously don't think they are capable of the job. Right now i'm stuck between FG and Lab
Capable of what job though?

Being the most effective opposition in the Dail, sidelining a depleted and disheartened Fianna Fail?

They're up for that job alright, and that's why I think I'll vote for them.

The next government will be FG and Labour, and have a massive majority. We need an effective opposition, as well as an effective government.

Seanie Lemass

Well left of centre, Labour ARE going to be in coalition with the Blueshirts. But worse than that if you arrived from another planet you would have been far more impressed by Noonan than Burton.But if you were a left leaning extra terrestrial then Doherty won hands down:)

Oh and my predictions were there to be another poll tomorrow:

Fg 33
Lab 21
SF 20
FF 13
Rest including the Greens 13

civilserpant

jesus, FG hate the gays? What now???? are you off the reservation?
They were the senior party in gov when NB brought in (genuine) free fees.

I dont know whats sadder, that you'd write this ************************e up there or that you might actually have swallowed that and believe it...

I'm still waiting for the OP to expalin to me how Fgs budget proposals are right wing compared to Labours? lab went further with public sector savings, both promised not to touch croke park, both left the min wage alone and didnt shrink it, and both want a job stimulus - except FG actually spelt out HOW (how how how how how how) they'd do it but flogging off the retail arm of CURRENT semi-states to set up NEW semi-states for moder infrastructure. Labour didnt say where the money would come from.

I'm sorry, i dont see whats a) right wing or b) to be feared there. Get over the rhetoric and open your mind. They're both centerist parties, just playing to marginally different audiences.

Murph

I must agree and say break with lab as there will be more value for your vote if you follow Pearse Doherty and Sinn Fein!

New Threads

Most Replies