Congress calls major demonstration for Saturday, 27th November

Bill D Gallows

Congress calls major demonstration for Saturday, 27th November
Date Released: 04 Nov 2010

The Irish Congress of Trade Unions is to hold a major national demonstration on Saturday, 27th November in Dublin.

The national mobilisation and demonstration has been called in support of Congress proposals on alternative ways to tackle the economic crisis, which include a focus on job creation, investment and growth.

The decision to hold the 27th November demonstration was taken at a recent meeting of the Congress Executive Council. Congress General Secretary David Begg has written to all affiliates encouraging their fullest support and participation.

David Begg said the scale of the cuts proposed for Budget 2011 were devastating and clear evidence that the Government plan is not working.

“We have had three austerity budgets to date and we are now in a worse position than when the process started. The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. Three deflationary budgets and the result is a higher deficit and more people out of work.

“The figures being talked about for Budget 2011 could truly devastate what is left of the functioning domestic economy. These cuts will throw people out of work.

Congress believes there is a better, fairer way to do this and we outlined a number of key proposals in our pre-budget submission yesterday. Simply put we need to extend the period of adjustment and focus on jobs and growth. People who want to make their voices heard should come out in force on Saturday, November 27. We cannot afford to wait, because it will be too late to protest on 8th December,” David Begg said.

David Begg said Congress would be making contact with a number of other civil society bodies in order to ensure the November 27 demonstration reflected the real concerns across all of Irish society.

Bill D Gallows

Whether you agree or disagree with unions, this is now the call for all sections of civil society to unite to confront the catastrophe this Government is preparing to hoist upon the Irish people.

It is now time for us to set aside our differences and to stand up to this Government who are clearly going against the will of the people who they were elected to serve.

If we fail to mobilise, we will be forever indicted as the generation who failed the ordinary people of Ireland when we should have acted.

hmmm

If we fail to mobilise, we will be forever indicted as the generation who failed the ordinary people of Ireland when we should have acted.
Why, what are you going to do - have a whip around to collect the 20 billion we need to fund the deficit?

Odyessus

Why, what are you going to do - have a whip around to collect the 20 billion we need to fund the deficit?

I'd say David Begg could afford to drop a fiver into the hat. What's he on now, just over the minimum wage, is it? ;)

pjoz

about time congress got the finger out...

MPB

I would rather gather behind a hearse than the Union insiders that attributed to this mess and now pretend that they are my friend.

Do us all a favour and FCK OFF.

brughahaha

If David Begg is going to stand on a podium and admit and apologise to his own major part in our current difficulties,then agree to work for the average Industrial wage for the rest of his working life as pennance and agree to force congress to implement the efficiencies paid for under Benchmarking 1 Benchmarking 2 and the CPA I might show up ...... as thats pretty unlikely I'll probably do a rain dance in my back garden and hope a storm blows him off the podium instead

Bill D Gallows

If David Begg is going to stand on a podium and admit and apologise to his own major part in our current difficulties,then agree to work for the average Industrial wage for the rest of his working life as pennance and agree to force congress to implement the efficiencies paid for under Benchmarking 1 Benchmarking 2 and the CPA I might show up ...... as thats pretty unlikely I'll probably do a rain dance in my back garden and hope a storm blows him off the podium instead
I see the 'all talk no action brigade' are alive and well.

So the extent of many people's protest will be to keep posting comments on threads like this and not leave cyberspace.

The Government must be quaking in their boots !, Oh hang on, maybe they'll stop reading them, darn !

Holy Cow

Is this the same David Begg that sat on the audit committee of the central bank when all of the interesting goings on were happening?

White Rose

How many of the union lads were on the board of FAS when the lavish trips were taking place?

feet first

What sane person will take the time and expense of getting up to Dublin for the day to by lectured by "State Board" beards like Begg and O`Connor, their brand of some pigs are more equal than others rings true., these are the same people who sat with "won it on horses Ahern. ¬ and engineered the devestation of the Irish state.
If Olhe RHen called a march I would be more inclined to attend.

Whilst I disagree with a demo on a Saturday as the all the TD`s will be back in the safety of their homes, I will be there.

The time for moaning and groaning is over, its time to stand up and be counted, if you cant be bothered to stand up then why moan at all?

Agree or disagree with the Union leaders, this is a chance for the country to have a say, you dont have to be there to listen to them, you just have to be there to give a message to the government.

feet first

Whilst I disagree with a demo on a Saturday as the all the TD`s will be back in the safety of their homes, I will be there.

The time for moaning and groaning is over, its time to stand up and be counted, if you cant be bothered to stand up then why moan at all?

Agree or disagree with the Union leaders, this is a chance for the country to have a say, you dont have to be there to listen to them, you just have to be there to give a message to the government.
True to a point, I would consider going , if it were promised that BEGG et al would not be lecturing us about who is to blame, He simply lacks credability and more.

Legacy

I have lost all respect for the Trade Union Movement in Ireland but I will be there on the 27th. Pretty much any opportunity to demonstrate the nations anger in large numbers is worth taking part in. The end justifies the means in this case.

So I will swallow my pride and put on a happy face and march with the rest of them. However I will play lyric fm on my headphones during David Beggs 'oration' ;)

If you just couldnt bear to be a supporter of a gathering organised by the Unions, just pretend to yourself you are there to overthrow them! :)

Cassandra Syndrome

Are these the same Beards that have been on the Council Membership of the National Economic & Social Development Office, which is the €4 Million a year economic quango for the Office of An Taoiseach?

Maybe we could just hold our own demo besides the Trade Union one.

Print of a few banners with the P.Ie logo and Dave leading the charge!

P.ie posters united against the Irish Government

Holy Cow

What sane person will take the time and expense of getting up to Dublin for the day to by lectured by "State Board" beards like Begg and O`Connor, their brand of some pigs are more equal than others rings true., these are the same people who sat with "won it on horses Ahern. ¬ and engineered the devestation of the Irish state.
If Olhe RHen called a march I would be more inclined to attend.
Back room deals done with Bertie Ahern, says it all really.

How much of his €170k a year salary has Jack in the box O Connor lost?

Is Mr Begg still sitting on the boards of some interesting companies?

These men are not interested in the workers, they are interested in their own fat wallets.

Jack in the box O Conner is wheeled out about once a year to preach about whats good and proper, but on closer examination the facts become clear.

These people are behind the Crook Park Deal, their fingerprints just as much as FF.

Follow the money, always follow the money.

Franzoni

I have lost all respect for the Trade Union Movement in Ireland but I will be there on the 27th. Pretty much any opportunity to demonstrate the nations anger in large numbers is worth taking part in. The end justifies the means in this case.

So I will swallow my pride and put on a happy face and march with the rest of them. However I will play lyric fm on my headphones during David Beggs 'oration' ;)

If you just couldnt bear to be a supporter of a gathering organised by the Unions, just pretend to yourself you are there to overthrow them! :)
Probably have Nova on the headphones instead ...:D...but apart from that i will be there as well and i agree with the rest of your post....

I've been a trade union member for over 23 years but i've lose all faith and respect in them but i want to show the government i'm pissed off so as you say the end justifies the means....

Macy

For months, probably years at this stage, people have been calling for protests and for Irish people to stand up for themselves. As soon as a protest is organised that has the potential to bring thousands out on the streets, the same people attack the organisers. It's this crap that keeps the Government in power - well done.

eoghanacht

I see there are still voices of dissent, face it folks your not going to have it all your own way, there'll be other groups protesting that you may be fervently opposed to but my enemy's enemy and all that.

I'll go just to shout down begg etc i suggest others do the same. Don't let these grubby traitors of the working man jump ship now that times are getting hard, they were more than happy to have their noses in the trough.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies