• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Connected Citizens - from a Northern Protestant Irishman

firefly123

Christ no.
So my point still stands.

MOST Irish people are down to earth, reasonable people. That doesn't preclude the reality that some Irish people are complete see you next tuesdays.

petaljam

So my point still stands.

MOST Irish people are down to earth, reasonable people. That doesn't preclude the reality that some Irish people are complete see you next tuesdays.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. IME many NI Protestants are lovely people, and especially once they're out of the toxic atmosphere of NI.
An elderly family member had a car breakdown not long ago, and a couple who stopped to help couldn't have done more for her. The husband is a member of an Orange Lodge. I'm sure they worked out she was Catholic, but as I say they were lovely.

firefly123

I wasn't disagreeing with you. IME many NI Protestants are lovely people, and especially once they're out of the toxic atmosphere of NI.
An elderly family member had a car breakdown not long ago, and a couple who stopped to help couldn't have done more for her. The husband is a member of an Orange Lodge. I'm sure they worked out she was Catholic, but as I say they were lovely.
That's my point. Inside the bubble all this stuff matters but for the vast bulk of us we don't care about such things.
I do wonder if some in the north think we care about such things. I'd love to see an orange March and music and What not. Don't agree with the intimidation aspect but I can't see why such traditions can't exist minus the shit bits.

2lazy

Everyone has a human side, the FIL always said Big Ian was known to help out many Catholics with small local issues

petaljam

That's my point. Inside the bubble all this stuff matters but for the vast bulk of us we don't care about such things.
I do wonder if some in the north think we care about such things. I'd love to see an orange March and music and What not. Don't agree with the intimidation aspect but I can't see why such traditions can't exist minus the shit bits.
In the euphoric aftermath of the Belfast Agreement, I know several NI Catholics who did that, and it was fine. This was Derry not Belfast, which has always been more bitter, but unfortunately that attempt at cross community 12th marches doesn't seem to have lasted. Not that I'm blaming only the unionist community for that, I'm not. There's plenty of bigotry among nationalists too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies