Connolly Books, Ireland's oldest radical bookshop, website launched.

Catalpast

Not this connolly? - https://www.marxists.org/archive/connolly/

August 1914 on german militarism:

If we had to choose between strengthening the German bully or the Russian autocrat the wise choice would be on the side of the German. For the German people are a highly civilised people, responsive to every progressive influence, and rapidly forging weapons for their own emancipation from native tyranny, whereas the Russian Empire stretches away into the depths of Asia, and relies on an army largely recruited from amongst many millions of barbarians who have not yet felt the first softening influence of civilisation. German thought is abreast of the best in the world; German influences have shaped for good the hopes of the world, but the thought and the hopes of the best in Russia was but the other day drowned in blood by Russia's worst.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/connolly/1914/08/germmili.htm

Lenin loved Connolly; but then Lenin was supported by germany in 1917 and had a german mother.
Feck - so he was a Racist after all!:shock:

Bloody El - you've let the cat out of the bag there so....

Please don't tell Uncle Joe or Red Ruth this

- they wont be able to handle it....:p

PeaceGoalie

Yes well the 'Workers Party' always was a bit of a spoof

Its hard to see how any of the upper echelons of that Party

- actually practised or believed what they were saying...

Of course they are long gone now

- or are they?
I don't think the WP can be that easily dismissed. They certainly moled their way in everywhere even if the old guard of Tom Gill, Garland etc were done over the way Brady and O'Connell were by Adams' crew. They also had some top informers in their ranks, as had the Provos. Given how well the Provo leadership has done out of Peace Process Inc, it is hard to believe that they believed in anything except their bank accounts and keeping sweet with their minders.
Between them, the Provos and the Sticks destroyed radicalism and extra Parliamentary street actions, which is now the preserve of Trots and other counter gangs. The big winners in this were the Brits and their local collaborators and enforcers.
The CPI do have a sort of contrarian arrogant know it all attitude. The Provos and more so the Sticks woulds have been big readers and there would be nothing in Connolly Books they would be unfamiliar with. They each decided to go in different directions. The CPI decided to go nowhere.

Catalpast

I don't think the WP can be that easily dismissed. They certainly moled their way in everywhere even if the old guard of Tom Gill, Garland etc were done over the way Brady and O'Connell were by Adams' crew. They also had some top informers in their ranks, as had the Provos. Given how well the Provo leadership has done out of Peace Process Inc, it is hard to believe that they believed in anything except their bank accounts and keeping sweet with their minders.
Between them, the Provos and the Sticks destroyed radicalism and extra Parliamentary street actions, which is now the preserve of Trots and other counter gangs. The big winners in this were the Brits and their local collaborators and enforcers.
The CPI do have a sort of contrarian arrogant know it all attitude. The Provos and more so the Sticks woulds have been big readers and there would be nothing in Connolly Books they would be unfamiliar with. They each decided to go in different directions. The CPI decided to go nowhere.
Does anyone remember the name of the bloke who used to run the shop down in Pearse St back in the day (late 1960s)?

- he spoke with an English accent like Harold Wilson's

- & always said 'Ta Ta' when you bought anything...

PeaceGoalie

Does anyone remember the name of the bloke who used to run the shop down in Pearse St back in the day (late 1960s)?

- he spoke with an English accent like Harold Wilson's

- & always said 'Ta Ta' when you bought anything...
The Pearse St shop was a good one, something very quaint and under stated it, not like the Marxist Leninist one that flowered briefly in Townsend St. I can't recall that chappie.

GDPR

I wasnt around at the time so its interesting to hear from people who were. In my own dealings with CPI people though I have to say that I have never found them arrogant- unlike Trots. The WP people I have encountered have either been marvellous people or total creeps.

Kommunist

While I am a CPI member I try to engage in cross-analysis in the party I am in, largely so that my view is not limited by my membership. I think you are mistaken in saying the CPI went nowhere. During the wounding up of the conflict in the North, the CPI and other Communist parties were hit with arguably one of the worst events in their histories: the dissolution of the USSR. This had ideological effects that are still being felt today.

Luckily, we're in a different time era now. The Church is at it's weakest, the Party is growing and the Connolly Youth Movement is also growing. WP and SF have ended up squabbling over their past while getting embroiled in social democratic politics [as you yourself have outlined] and the only "radical" force are the Trots.

Kommunist

Connolly is dead 100 years

He would probably die of Culture shock were he to appear in the Ireland of 2016....:shock:

His writings are useful

- but they are not Gospel
I agree that they are useful, his analysis of the means of production, who held political power and who should hold political power is what's useful. His methodology of writing in an accessible and clear way to a poorly education population is also to learn from.

Leftist parties will get nowhere if they are just echo chambers or talk down to people. Class consciousness can only be developed from the ground up.

PeaceGoalie

While I am a CPI member I try to engage in cross-analysis in the party I am in, largely so that my view is not limited by my membership. I think you are mistaken in saying the CPI went nowhere. During the wounding up of the conflict in the North, the CPI and other Communist parties were hit with arguably one of the worst events in their histories: the dissolution of the USSR. This had ideological effects that are still being felt today.

Luckily, we're in a different time era now. The Church is at it's weakest, the Party is growing and the Connolly Youth Movement is also growing. WP and SF have ended up squabbling over their past while getting embroiled in social democratic politics [as you yourself have outlined] and the only "radical" force are the Trots.
Since the end of NICRA, the CPI had little to do with the Troubles, the end of which opened the door for LBGT type politics which is presumably what you mean by "The Church at it's (sic) weakest". CPI members are older, their influence on trade unions is smaller, they are not an electoral force and they are not an organisational, educational or agitational force either. MI6's infiltration of Sinn Fein and WP put paid to much of that. I am not even sure how much of your books are worth reading any more. Traditional republicanism is a dead letter I reckon and traditional Communism will not be a force this side of the Second Coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ, whose imminent arrival would get you shorter odds at any bookies than the CPI being a force.

Kommunist

We'll agree to disagree then. :)

Kommunist

Republican Congress, a film by by Donal Higgins
**Available in store and online here ** €10 **
‘Republican Congress’ by Donal Higgins
The film tells the story of the political organisation that was founded in 1934 by Left-wing republicans Nora Connolly O'Brien, Roddy Connolly, Frank Ryan, George Gilmore and Peadar O'Donnell.
Donal Higgins said, “I was attracted to the story of the Republican Congress as it seems to me to be a fairly overlooked part of our history. In fairness, the Congress only lasted two years, so its not surprising that theyve been overlooked. But these were the people who went to Spain to defend Republican values at a time when the whole country was supporting Franco. I also think that the Congress has some resonances for society today.”

making waves

The film tells the story of the political organisation that was founded in 1934 by Left-wing republicans Nora Connolly O'Brien, Roddy Connolly, Frank Ryan, George Gilmore and Peadar O'Donnell.
Donal Higgins said, “I was attracted to the story of the Republican Congress as it seems to me to be a fairly overlooked part of our history. In fairness, the Congress only lasted two years, so its not surprising that theyve been overlooked. But these were the people who went to Spain to defend Republican values at a time when the whole country was supporting Franco. I also think that the Congress has some resonances for society today.”
Interesting that - will it be available online at any stage?

be interesting to see how the CPI justify wrecking the RC at the time.

Catalpast

If the Communists had not been so stupid to attack the Church, desecrate its Holy Places and murder Priests and Nuns

- then I doubt that many people here would have supported General Franco

PS Not so sure he was that well supported anyway

- just seen as the lesser of evils....

Kommunist

If the Communists had not been so stupid to attack the Church, desecrate its Holy Places and murder Priests and Nuns

That didn't happen, lol. There was probably more rank and file priests on the Republican side than on Franco's side.

GDPR

Only the Communists didnt, that was the action of Anarchists who were a major force in Spain at time. Something of interest is that George Orwell fought with the sort of Trotskyite POUM who were allied to the most blood thirsty and crazed of the Anarchists the Friends of Durretti who attacked both the Popular Front and the "Nationalists". After the Civil War was over Franco turned on the Carlists who were Principaled Rightists and either imprisoned, hung or improvished them.

Catalpast

That didn't happen, lol. There was probably more rank and file priests on the Republican side than on Franco's side.
The Red Terror in Spain (Spanish: Terror Rojo)[3] is the name given by historians to various acts of violence committed from 1936 until the end of the Spanish Civil War "by sections of nearly all the leftist groups"

In October 2008, the Spanish newspaper La Razon published an article on the number of murders of Catholic clergy members and religious people.[57][citation not found]
May 1931: 100 church buildings are burned while firefighters refuse to extinguish the flames.
1932: 3000 Jesuits expelled. Church buildings burned with impunity in 7 cities.
1934: 33 priests murdered in the Asturias Revolution.
1936: one day before July 18, the day the war started, 17 clergymen were murdered.
From July 18 to August 1: 861 clergymen murdered in 2 weeks.
August 1936: 2077 clergymen murdered, more than 70 a day. 10 of them bishops.
September 14: 3400 clergymen murdered during the first stages of the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror_(Spain)#Toll_on_clergy

statsman

Thank you for posting that, I remember New Books when it was in Pearse Street, that was back in the days when the Workers' Party (previously and later the CP) was located in Pembroke Lane in a premises donated by one of the Goold-Verschoyles. I believe he was also a founder of New Books along Sean Nolan.
Yes, I remember it there, and have been in and out of it and the Connolly shop many times over the years, and even bought some books (well, a bookshop's a bookshop). The mystery is how it has survived as a very niche market outlet in a dying trade. Where is the money coming from? Not sales, I suspect.

Expose the lot of them

Yes, I remember it there, and have been in and out of it and the Connolly shop many times over the years, and even bought some books (well, a bookshop's a bookshop). The mystery is how it has survived as a very niche market outlet in a dying trade. Where is the money coming from? Not sales, I suspect.
Moscow gold. :rolleyes:

making waves

The Catholic Hierarchy were one of the main bases of support and one of the main promoters of Franco' s fascism in Spain. Priests and nuns played an active part in the fascist forces during the Civil War.

PeaceGoalie

The Catholic Hierarchy were one of the main bases of support and one of the main promoters of Franco' s fascism in Spain. Priests and nuns played an active part in the fascist forces during the Civil War.
Kommunist pretends Mick O'Riordan et al did not commit war crimes and you excuse them. So now we know the difference.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies