Conor Cruise O'Brien dies

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Conor Cruise O'Brien a legendary Irish figure is dead, RIP

IT
The death has taken place of the former Cabinet minister and journalist, Conor Cruise O'Brien, who as Minister for Posts and Telegraph during the Fine Gael/Labour coalition in the 1970s.

Expressing condolences, Taoiseach Brian Cowen said Mr Cruise O'Brien had been "a leading figure in Irish life in many spheres since the 1960s", displaying a wide array of talents in politics, academia and journalism.
"(He) was blessed with a strong intellect and he was a man of strong convictions," he said, adding that Mr Cruise O'Brien's "political views were not always in accordance with those of my own party over the years I never doubted his sincerity or his commitment to a better and more peaceful Ireland".
A good foreign perspective on his times is this New York Times obituary.
[excerpt]Conor Cruise O’Brien, an Irish diplomat, politician, man of letters and public intellectual who staked out an independent position for Ireland in the United Nations and, despite his Roman-Catholic origins, championed the rights of Protestants in Northern Ireland, has died, the Irish government announced Thursday. He was 91 and lived in Howth, near Dublin.[more]
Also just so people know it is house rules on p.ie to be respectful of the dead on the RIP thread so if you've nothing nice to say: don't say anything !

cYp

Last edited:

Cogadh

He helped create the subservience to nonthinking that has left us f.ucked. I see no reason to celebrate his death.

MacCoise

RIP.

The vitriol here will be immense.
well a lot of people have very good reason to be angry with the man- democrats for starters

but its true these threads do descend into nonsense so maybe we should ban them

factual

In Conor Cruise O'Brien Ireland has lost someone who was a very important and influential figure in Irish political life.

RIP.

McDave

Took a lot of controversial stances. The Ulster Unionist one was perhaps the most difficult to take seriously. But he made people think, and there are few in this republic of ours who can do this anymore.

Decko

Rip

A highly intelligent man who had worldwide esteem. Yes, perhaps joining Bob mcCartneys lot was a bit bizarre but a very courageous and principled man.

S

Starkadder

He wrote some interesting stuff in the 1960s, but I didn't really
agree with most of the ideas he came out with in the 1970s. Still,
he was an interesting and controversial thinker. RIP. My condolences
to his family and friends.

I know many people strongly disliked him, and I can understand why,but I would ask that we have some respect for a deceased man and his family.

Sidewinder

Woohoo!

*pours whiskey*

Second only to Ahern in my personal Hate List. An appalling grotesque anti-national treacherous lying scumbag of immense proportions. A weight has been lifted from the soul of the entire nation with the death of this evil, evil man.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Irrespective of his views he was original in Ireland - a politician that had ideas and an open, enquiring mind. More like him and we'd see a lot less complaints about politics.

cYp

eamo

Woohoo!

*pours whiskey*

Second only to Ahern in my personal Hate List. An appalling grotesque anti-national treacherous lying scumbag of immense proportions. A weight has been lifted from the soul of the entire nation with the death of this evil, evil man.
ban this pr1ck

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies