Conor McCabe sums up the Irish comprador class #appletax

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
From his Twitter. His book Sins of the Father is a must read, also. However, this really encapsulates the 26-County State comprador class:

Of all the things I find hardest to explain about Ireland and the Irish, the Apple case is up there in a league of its own. How do you make sense of a bailed out state not only refusing to collect 13 billion in taxes but going to court to block itself from collecting it? I was asked this question recently and it's one that even my fellow Irish citizens struggle t'answer though it forms the core of my work.

When we look at the Irish state we are not looking at a normal state. I don't mean in the sense of one gone Trump-esque crazy but one where the twisted dynamics of inequality and servitude have saturated the very bricks of the key institutions of state and finance. When we look at the moneyed class in Ireland we are not looking at a class that functions the same way as those in Britain, USA, EU.

What we have here is a class that has carved out a niche role for itself in transnational capital, and it's not a very elegant one. It's akin to a middleman role, intermediaries who have been quite successful in shaping the state's tax and investment strategies to fit their own business strategies in accountancy, law and insurance. This class has carved the Irish state in its image, not ours and so when they bring a court case against the EU to stop the EU from forcing the state to collect taxes from a multinational they are bringing that case to protect their niche role in transnational capital and for nothing else. It is that grubby. No poetry to it.

Yet because that niche role is not that quite understood, nor is it seen just how deeply embedded it is in the key institutions such as the Taoiseach's office, the dept. of finance, the revenue commissioners and the central bank that it is not uncommon for people to surmise that the Irish state MUST be acting the way it is in the Apple tax case because of some outside coercive force but it is not.

This is the enemy within. The comprador class who have used the state as a staging post for transnational capital for decades and they will protect the power they have to set policy even if it means keeping children on waiting lists for rib-protruding operations.

It's not even state capture because this middleman class seized this state in 1922 and have used it for its own interests ever since. The Apple tax case is just another example of the rot within that stood over massive emigration and crippling poverty with industrial schools a form of class control and a 28 Days Later rage against any kind of funded social services.

They are challenging the Apple tax ruling not to benefit Apple but to benefit themselves, the tax lawyers, revolving-door gov officials and accountants that that lie at the heart of Ireland's indigenous, parasitic, comprador class. They make me shake with anger and one day I hope you will too.
https://twitter.com/Mc_Cabe_Conor?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Catalpast

Apple don't owe us a red cent

But we gave them some great tax breaks :cool:

- in return for them investing in Ireland

Otherwise they would have gone elsewhere...:|

That got under some people's skin

- namely the EU Central Powers

They want investment there

- not out on some offshore island in the Atlantic Ocean

So now they will try and squeeze us so hard until our pips squeak ...:shock:

parentheses

Sins of the Father was very interesting.

Irish governments have given away vast amounts of natural resources for little recompense.

Compare and contrast with Norway

Fritzbox

True that, and it wasn't the worst economic policy 20 years ago and before, but I get the impression that bribing foreign companies to come to Ireland by giving them very generous tax breaks just isn't sustainable anymore?

Fritzbox

Sins of the Father was very interesting.

Irish governments have given away vast amounts of natural resources for little recompense.

Compare and contrast with Norway

What natural resources - offshore oil? What oil?

Catalpast

True that, and it wasn't the worst economic policy 20 years ago and before, but I get the impression that bribing foreign companies to come to Ireland by giving them very generous tax breaks just isn't sustainable anymore?
Nope

- our Masters in Europe have caught up with our little game....:oops:

OrderoftheDragon

A no. of irish politicans of all the main parties have been total scum, greedy corrupt criminals the failure of the political system has been to support and run interference for them rather than out them for the scum that they were.

ne0ica

Why are you people so stupid. We don't get the 13 billion. Margrethe Vestager the EU Competition Commissionaire is encouraging other EU nations to collect their slice. Ireland will end up with a few paltry million.

Fritzbox

Nope

- our Masters in Europe have caught up with our little game....:oops:
They have in the case of Apple's 0.05% tax rate. Are they in any way bothered by the 12.50 rate (I hear it's no lower than many other European countries)?

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Why the posh word "comprador"? :)

Whats wrong with the good native word - gombeen?
I have to admit, I prefer comprador. It's sexier. 'Comprador class' is better than 'gombeen class'. Although, both are equally acceptable.

I just thought I'd post up what he said anyway. We'll see the triggered blueshirts and forelock tugging FF'ers now without even reading McCabe's book, justifying why we had to sell off our natural resources to the lowest bidder, fund private builders and landlords to build public housing which the working class couldn't afford and the consequences of the builder/gombeen relationship still around today and messing up affordable housing and social housing, f up the banking system (and blame the Irish people for it) and set up Ireland as a tax haven. Something no doubt about 'they create jobs', etc, etc.

Catalpast

They have in the case of Apple's 0.05% tax rate. Are they in any way bothered by the 12.50 rate (I hear it's no lower than many other European countries)?
We will in all probability never see any of this

- if it goes down to the wire then we can give them tax amnesty

- as we have the right to set our own taxes

- then there is sod all the EU can do about....

ne0ica

We will in all probability never see any of this

- if it goes down to the wire then we can give them tax amnesty

- as we have the right to set our own taxes

- then there is sod all the EU can do about....
Why bother with facts when we can have another Ireland is the worst country in the world thread.

GDPR

I have to admit, I prefer comprador. It's sexier. 'Comprador class' is better than 'gombeen class'. Although, both are equally acceptable.

I just thought I'd post up what he said anyway. We'll see the triggered blueshirts and forelock tugging FF'ers now without even reading
McCabe's book, justifying why we had to sell off our natural resources to the lowest bidder, fund private builders and landlords to build public housing which the working class couldn't afford and the consequences of the builder relationship still around today, f up the banking system (and blame the Irish people for it) and set up Ireland as a tax haven. Something no doubt about 'they create jobs', etc, etc.
The Irish Oligarchy also regarded itself as the inheritors of the British system.

They never decolonised mentally. They see the country as something to be exploited and used for their own benefit, with many of the same tools as the previous regime and some new ones, which the plebs think they invented themselves.

The capital inflows from FDI were never used to build a sound economy for Ireland. Just to enrich the same middle-men and throw sweeties to their dumb followers - who now find themselves paying.

The village headmen could always get away with this because they regularly bleed off the population abroad.

ne0ica

The Irish Oligarchy also regarded itself as the inheritors of the British system.

They never decolonised mentally. They see the country as something to be exploited and used for their own benefit, with many of the same tools as the previous regime and some new ones, which the plebs think they invented themselves.

The capital inflows from FDI were never used to build a sound economy for Ireland. Just to enrich the same middle-men and throw sweeties to their dumb followers - who now find themselves paying.

The village headmen could always get away with this because they regularly bleed off the population abroad.
Pat Kenny is a Prime example of this.

How many times has he made some comparison between Ireland and Manchester as if we were a region of England and not a country of out own.

Or his constant use of the English term 'Paddy' to refer to Irish people.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Why bother with facts when we can have another Ireland is the worst country in the world thread.
It's amazing when someone actually wants to 'fight the globalists', you, the fanatical Trump supporter, want to tug the forelock. There may be credibility in what you say, but when you and the racist are saying anything, it's hard to take seriously.

For example, you think Ireland won't get anything at all and it's disgusting to even suggest what a tax haven kip this is, but you believe and support the idea of Mexico - a foreign country - paying for a wall and will 'start behaving' :lol:

SAD!

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

How many times has he made some comparison between Ireland and Manchester as if we were a region of England and not a country of out own.

Anglo Irish says it all...

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

and the tool / middleman Feargal O'Rourke comes to mind as well.

im axeled

That got under some people's skin

- namely the EU Central Powers

They want investment there

- not out on some offshore island in the Atlantic Ocean

So now they will try and squeeze us so hard until our pips squeak ...:shock:
think back to when the last lot of dodgy bank accounts were unearthed in switzerland, our m.o.f. told cab in publib not to touch them

ON THE ONE ROAD

New Threads