Conor Mcgregor v. Floyd Mayweather

Outlaw101

One of the biggest fights the world has ever seen, at least in terms of economics, has been announced and there will be an Irishman from Crumlin, Dublin involved.

Somehow this country has managed to produce a man who is now among the most well known persons in the world. The level of success he has achieved in the past 4 years ranks among the most stratospheric rises ever seen in the sports/entertainment world.

This Irishman is about to step into a ring in Las Vegas on 26th August 2017 to fight one of the best professional boxers the world has ever known and, if projections of how many people will watch the fight are correct, is set to earn a fight purse that is alleged to be pushing $100 million.

The tweet that Conor put out announcing the fight and it currently has nearly 250K retweets and 430k likes. Those are incredible numbers.

He has become an inspiration to millions around the world, from A list sports stars and celebrities to the local young lad who wants to dream big, with his constant advocacy of hard work and self belief.

This build up is going to be super fun and if you are not turning into this journey where a young man from this Island trys' to will an incredible level of success into existence with absolute self belief then you are missing out.

This man deserves his own thread on this forum.

Last edited:

Outlaw101

Below are two videos of Jeff Mayeweather. This is Floyds Uncle. He is a funny fooker but when watching you should appreciate that he belongs to a family and organisation that have dragged themselves up from the depths despair and poverty to having wealth beyond anyone's' dreams.

These fellas fought there way to the top in America and that ain't easy. They are legit as it comes.

This is how they view our local hero.

[video=youtube;K6RaMkOjYdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RaMkOjYdc[/video]

[video=youtube;IZCW-MgNcQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZCW-MgNcQw[/video]

gerhard dengler

I never heard of Conor McGregor. I don't know the man or anything about him.

I hope he is not half as tedious and boorish as his supporters. For his own sake.

If this "fight" is as seismic as his supporters claim, it should be televised free to air for those who want to watch it.

cozzy121

I only hope for his young family that McGregor is knocked out in the 1st 30 secs of the fight. Any prolonged stay by him in the ring will only led to serious brain injury

between the bridges

Given the money involved what's the odds on a draw or controversial points decision which requires a rematch...

Outlaw101

So lets take a quick look at the details that have been released.

154 pounds is the weight at which it will be fought.

Weight cutting is a personal battle that a fighter will go through during the weeks leading up to a fight.

If the weight-cut goes bad a fighter can be well and truly beat before he gets into the ring. There is an art to effective weight cutting and it is an expensive and time consuming process. Without the proper support, resources and discipline its something that a fighter will struggle with and even though he maybe a superb fighter he may never truly reach his full potential if he does not master the weight-cut. There are many examples in combat sports.

Conor fights between 145lb and 170lb. Some people argue that his best weight is at 155lb. So, if nothing else can be said in his favour then the fact that the fight will take place at his alleged best fighting weight is something that can.

Conor has recently been in a position to invest in his weight cutting process and has really benefited in terms of his physical and mental well being in those final prefight days. While he can get down as far as 145lb to fight I feel that giving Floyd the additional advantage of a harder weight cut would have been a disadvantage. Conor is a bigger man than Floyd and, theoretically at least, Floyd would make the lower weights easier than Conor. Given that he is about to box against the best I don't think he can give any advantages, or suffer any disadvantages, if it can be in anyway avoided. He has to take every advantage he can get, he will need them.

The weight cutting process is important in terms of conditioning the mind in adversity. Nobody likes depriving themselves of food or water and the experience brings to the fore of the human character the animalistic aggressive traits which are necessary to have as a man in conditions of deprivation. To get in the ring and fight another man you need to to have this aspect of your character at the very least bubbling under the surface of your being at that moment. At least if you have aspirations on winning you do.

He will cut enough wight to get the benefits of the weight cut but not so much that he will start to suffer from the adverse aspects.

However, because he is fighting at 154lb rather than at 147lb or below means that the glove size will be 10oz rather than 8oz. Conor fights with 4oz gloves and he will certainly lose some of the punching power upon which the "punchers chance" premise of the fight is based. The move form a 4oz glove to a 10oz glove can not be easily dismissed as an insignificant consideration.

Conor is fast, accurate and he can hit hard, but how big an impact having larger gloves will have on his strengths is the question.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Zero.

This will be the biggest embarrassment of an Irishman since that time the Fermanagh Wan was slaughtered.
Moi'd reckon as McGregor counts his slice of the 100 million pie he'll be thinking 'Damn I should've listened to thon carlos boyo on p.ie'...

Betson

I.
Have you been in a coma for the last few years , not rating him or liking him is one thing but you are one of the very few who has never heard of him. Have you any interest in sport?

D

Deleted member 48908

So lets take a quick look at the details that have been released.

154 pounds is the weight at which it will be fought.

Weight cutting is a personal battle that a fighter will go through during the weeks leading up to a fight.

If the weight-cut goes bad a fighter can be well and truly beat before he gets into the ring. There is an art to effective weight cutting and it is an expensive and time consuming process. Without the proper support, resources and discipline its something that a fighter will struggle with and even though he maybe a superb fighter he may never truly reach is full potential if he does not master the weight-cut.

Conor fights between 145lb and 170lb. Some people argue that his best weight is at 155lb. So, if nothing else can be said in his favour then the fact that the fight will take place at his alleged best fighting weight is something that can.

Conor has recently been in a position to invest in his weight cutting process and has really benefited in terms of his physical and mental well being in those final prefight days. While he can get down as far as 145lb to fight I feel that giving Floyd the additional advantage of a harder weight cut would have been a disadvantage. Conor is a bigger man than Floyd and, theoretically at least, Floyd would make the lower weights easier than Conor. Given that he is about to box against the best I don't think he can give any advantages, or suffer any disadvantages, if it can be in anyway avoided. He has to take every advantage he can get, he will need them.

The weight cutting process is important in terms of conditioning the mind in adversity. Nobody likes depriving themselves of food or water and the experience brings to the fore of the human character the animalistic aggressive traits which are necessary to have as a man in conditions of deprivation. To get in the ring and fight another man you need to to have this aspect of your character at the very least bubbling under the surface of your being at that moment. At least if you have aspirations on winning you do.

He will cut enough wight to get the benefits of the weight cut but not so much that he will start to suffer from the adverse aspects.

However, because he is fighting at 154lb rather than at 147lb or below means that the glove size will be 10oz rather than 8oz. Conor fights with 4oz gloves and he will certainly lose some of the punching power upon which the "punchers chance" premise of the fight is based. The move form a 4oz glove to a 10oz glove can not be easily dismissed as an insignificant consideration.

Conor is fast, accurate and he can hit hard, but how big an impact having larger gloves will have on his strengths is the question.
Would having previous experience in cutting weight - or fight preparation in general - make the process easier, do ya think?

razorblade

I hope he is not half as tedious and boorish as his supporters. For his own sake.

If this "fight" is as seismic as his supporters claim, it should be televised free to air for those who want to watch it.
You've seriously never heard of Conor MCGregor where have you been all this time.

Levellers

If you want to know how this faux fight turns out watch Rocky v Hulk on video.

gerhard dengler

Betson

That is why I found your statement startling , I reckon at this stage there is hardly a sports fan in the world not aware of Conor McGregor, never mind Ireland.

It has been impossible to avoid seeing him in the papers , on the TV etc for the last year or so. His fighting skills can be debated but there is no argument about his ability to self promote himself and get his name out there.

gerhard dengler

That is why I found your statement startling , I reckon at this stage there is hardly a sports fan in the world not aware of Conor McGregor, never mind Ireland.

It has been impossible to avoid seeing him in the papers , on the TV etc for the last year or so. His fighting skills can be debated but there is no argument about his ability to self promote himself and get his name out there.
I only heard of him through people who claim to be his supporters. And I only became of him very recently, in the past fortnight in fact, while attending a baptism, a clown at the christening party was waffling on about how McGregor would beat........................Muhammad Ali. :roll:

I kid you not.

I don't follow the activity that McGregor participates in.

amsterdemmetje

As a big Boxing/MMA fan imo this is an obscene charade of a fight nothing more than bread and circuses as a certain poster is want to say here .

corporal punishment

The participants will get their $50M, the TV companies will get their $50M. The only losers will be the mugs who pay to view this farce.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies