Consent rules in US colleges jumps the shark, peak crazy or a sign of things to come?

silverharp

So male students kicked out of college for cuddling or in reality because of vengeful ex partners by the looks of things. As a defense lawyer said they had turned “benign, unremarkable, everyday occurrences in a nearly two-year consensual relationship into sexual and physical assault.” if this were to become the new bar then dating in college wouldn't be worth the risk. Hopefully this is peak crazy and the Feds would defund these colleges if they continue with these absurd moves.
Any risk of this jumping the pond after the shark?

Purdue kicks out ROTC student after girlfriend accuses him of snuggling without consent - The College Fix

Are you a snuggler and a Purdue University student? Don’t date.

A male student sued the public school for suspending him a year – and expelling him from its ROTC program – after his ex-girlfriend accused him of snuggling without her consent while they were dating, The Indianapolis Star reports.

another case, no gay privilege here

Brandeis University was strongly rebuked in court after it expelled a gay student on allegations of waking his Brandeis had turned “benign, unremarkable, everyday occurrences in a nearly two-year consensual relationship into sexual and physical assault.” boyfriend with a kiss and looking at him naked. As that lawsuit said,
The “sex bias” suit against Purdue was brought by superstar defense lawyer Andrew Miltenberg, who has represented more than 100 students punished by their schools on sexual-misconduct grounds.

Miltenberg called Purdue’s investigation “Kafkaesque” and blamed it, like those at other universities, on the 2011 “Dear Colleague” letter from the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, which drastically lowered evidence standards and procedural protections for the accused

The_SR

An overreaction to try and deal with a genuine problem. As with all things it will balance itself out in the medium term

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
An overreaction to try and deal with a genuine problem. As with all things it will balance itself out in the medium term
I disagree. The phenomenon is beginning to look far worse than that. "Kafkaesque" is exactly the right word.

I'm not sure what "genuine problem" you're referring to, and the idea that it'll balance itself out in the medium term is cold comfort to the victims of this literalist and ideologically motivated puritanism.

Trainwreck

"Campus rape culture" is a complete SJW fabrication. There was no "genuine problem" that required this type of trammelling over individuals' rights.

Betson

But what use is that to those who have been expelled and have a very dubious sexual misconduct record on their educational report , there are 100's going through the courts now because their education and future prospects have been damaged by this , they were found guilty in kangaroo courts where they were not allowed any legal representation , not allowed challenge any evidence against them or even put forward any evidence supporting their case , they were basically told to turn up to hear the verdict.

The problem with these programs is that the individual is never taken into account , it is all about the stats , and the attitude is so what if a lot of innocent people are caught up along the way.

blokesbloke

"Snuggling without consent"?

A new one on me...

Rural

I disagree. The phenomenon is beginning to look far worse than that. "Kafkaesque" is exactly the right word.

I'm not sure what "genuine problem" you're referring to, and the idea that it'll balance itself out in the medium term is cold comfort to the victims of this literalist and ideologically motivated puritanism.
I agree.

Young people have relationships - They get close - They break up - They feel embarrassed and regret how close they got - Time passes - They move on and usually look back on the relationship with fondness --- It's the passage of young love.

Now the "control freaks" have taken over and it will result in young people having serious mental problems. It's a worry.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I agree.

Young people have relationships - They get close - They break up - They feel embarrassed and regret how close they got - Time passes - They move on and usually look back on the relationship with fondness --- It's the passage of young love.

Now the "control freaks" have taken over and it will result in young people having serious mental problems. It's a worry.
Serious mental problems isn't the only consequence. This stuff has the potential to ruin lives in a variety of ways.

Equinox

"Snuggling without consent"?

A new one on me...

He was cleared of the more serious charge of "with intent to drop the hand"........

I maintain that adhering to the long established man rule #1, not matter how hot or willing, 'Never stick you dick in crazy' tends to ensure you avoid this kind of nonsense.

A Voice

He was cleared of the more serious charge of "with intent to drop the hand"........

I maintain that adhering to the long established man rule #1, not matter how hot or willing, 'Never stick you dick in crazy' tends to ensure you avoid this kind of nonsense.
I came across the term "danger ride" on a football forum yesterday. Seems to describe some of these nut job women, alright.

Rural

Serious mental problems isn't the only consequence. This stuff has the potential to ruin lives in a variety of ways.
I would regard mental health problems as being extremely serious, but please share.:)

I would regard mental health problems as being extremely serious, but please share.:)
A bar on entering certain professions, truncated education and consequential loss in the job market, possibly being registered.

Is there no proportionality?

Roll_On

mental stuff but not surprising, the US is a culture of lawsuits. I was once on leave from work recovering from surgery, more less bedbound for a few weeks, so Judge Judy became a pastime. It's truly bizzar, if it is indeed real, family members going to court because one of them owes the other $200 and doesn't want to pay it. Enough to make you throw a shoe at the TV.

silverharp

He means that something like this could follow the guy around for the rest of his life in terms of reputational damage concerning education and future career prospects. Any kind of suspect college transfers or dropping out would instantly lower hiring prospects, also I'd imagine the names might end up on the net and be searchable so could affect their personal lives.

Rural

He means that something like this could follow the guy around for the rest of his life in terms of reputational damage concerning education and future career prospects. Any kind of suspect college transfers or dropping out would instantly lower hiring prospects, also I'd imagine the names might end up on the net and be searchable so could affect their personal lives.
I didn't realise that the reasons for leaving college were put on record.

And yes, you're correct it does have more than just an effect on a person's mental health - I was thinking really of the mental health of the person who brought the charges.

Clanrickard

What is the genuine problem?

The_SR

What is the genuine problem?
In the US military, a huge rape problem that only recently is being tackled. In US university's there is that frat boy culture that us unhealthy.

This specific case on the face email of it is ludicrous but the reaction was needed and will balance into something workable

Clanrickard

In the US military, a huge rape problem that only recently is being tackled. In US university's there is that frat boy culture that us unhealthy.

This specific case on the face email of it is ludicrous but the reaction was needed and will balance into something workable
We are not talking about the US military we are talking about universities and has been pointed out repeatedly the lie about a campus "rape culture" is just that. A big fat pulsating lie.

silverharp

there has to be a healthy "no man's land" in the middle no pun intended where the courts say we cant look into this you are on your own. If there was no coercion and the woman or gay dude wasn't unconscious because of alcohol or drugs then the courts or colleges should really send out a message that women have to be responsible for their behaviour.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies