Conserving Water

Pabilito

With the current heatwave I’ve become very conscious of my personal water consumption..

Obviously this happened because of the current heatwave but also because I just bought a hose last week to water the now mature plants on the balcony of my apartment.. I was delighted with my new hose with which I could water the all 18 plants in 5 minutes instead of the 15 minutes it took carting buckets from the kitchen.

Now my ultra modern elastic hose which grows from 10m to 15m when connected to the tap is suddenly redundant due to the hosepipe ban.. a compact easily storable item like this hose is exactly what you seek out living in an Irish apartment where storage space is at a premium.. but now I can’t use it!

Anyway c’est la vie.. however I’ve now discovered that up to this I’ve been wasting a lot of water..

I reckon I’ve cut my water consumption in half over the past week by simply reusing it. For example I now have a large pot under the kitchen tap to recycle the water that I use to wash my hands, the water that I use to wash and cook things plus the water that I would normally just discard.. Just today I realised that I have a lifetime habit of filling a glass full of water, drinking half of it and chucking the rest down to the sink.. such a waste!

Now I’m watering the plants with the waste water from the pot under the kitchen tap..

Conserving water isn't that hard when you think about it.

SPN

I thought I was frugal with water, but this week I reckon I have managed to cut back by more than 50%.

Not looking forward to the ban on watering my vegetables though.

The lawn is a golden colour, but the vegetable garden has been getting a good watering every night.

Come Thursday night that is supposed to end.

Not seeing how is a sensible idea, especially when I see commercial vegetable growers running highly wasteful irrigation systems spraying water into the air all day long.

Evaporation is a bugger.

asset test

The shower water here (before it warms up) goes in a basin.

Same with kitchen water, another basin. By nightime there is just about enough to keep the favourite long cared for plants half alive. We are trying, but have lost a lot of nice things. Ah well.

Lavender is your friend, likes dry conditions.

Half Nelson

No flies - no flush!

firefly123

If shes yellow let her mellow
If she's brown flush her down

NYCKY

What the Irish Government should do is set up some kind of national water company to manage the supply and make sure everyone is doing their bit to conserve it. Maybe a small charge per household too.

Rural

There's always the Bear Grylls' way.:)

paddycomeback

What the Irish Government should do is set up some kind of national water company to manage the supply and make sure everyone is doing their bit to conserve it. Maybe a small charge per household too.
Or not put a quarter of the population in one city with one manky river.

Pabilito

If shes yellow let her mellow
If she's brown flush her down

If you’re one of the lucky ones with two toilets in your home you can actually reserve one for number ones and flush it last thing at night.

SEAMAI

I worked out last week that my shower uses 10L a minute, so an average 4 minutes is 40L, I'm down to less than 1m 30s (15L) by shampooing and lathering up before turning on the shower for a rinse off, then turn off and repeat. I have also a basin to catch some water which I use to pour down the toilet instead of flushing, or use it for hand washing clothes.

Speaking of toilets, it's a pretty efficient dual flush but only when we really have to.

The garden is brown by now but I'm not bothered. The herbs and salad leaves are watered using anything used to wash fruit and vegetables in the kitchen or cooled water after boiling veg.

Other than a sponge on the windscreen the car is going to stay dirty.

troll account

im working in the blazing sun and its taking its toll :? going to start at 6 in the morning its getting up there almost too hot to build

Pabilito

We could call it 'Irish Water'?

asset test

For the duration of this water shortage etc. we decided NOT to rinse out recyclables for the Green bin. Instead they are going into the Black bin. Figure recycling will have to wait for a while.

Don't give me a hard time, there is a lot of water used rinsing out yogurt pots and the like. Lots.

Gin Soaked

Short showers, and fill the dishwasher and washing machine. A modern dishwasher is far more efficient than you can ever be.

Car is getting window spray cleaning only. And yellow/mellow is the way to go.

I've also upped my flax seed intake to make sure the turds go to Ringsend with one flush. That may be an over share...

Gin Soaked

For the duration of this water shortage etc. we decided NOT to rinse out recyclables for the Green bin. Instead they are going into the Black bin. Figure recycling will have to wait for a while.

Don't give me a hard time, there is a lot of water used rinsing out yogurt pots and the like. Lots.
Yep. I did that too today, for the same reason.

Socratus O' Pericles

I've decided to stop perspiring.

SEAMAI

I had a bit of a heated discussion with my partner about washing recyclables this morning on the back of a letter we got yesterday telling us that they will no longer be taking glass and all other items need to be thoroughly washed before putting in the bin. Washing these goods can be very wasteful, I told him that we will only use dirty water in the wash basin to clean them, if that's not good enough f**k them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies