Conserving Water

Pabilito

For the duration of this water shortage etc. we decided NOT to rinse out recyclables for the Green bin. Instead they are going into the Black bin. Figure recycling will have to wait for a while.

Don't give me a hard time, there is a lot of water used rinsing out yogurt pots and the like. Lots.
It's amazing how much treated water we convert into dirty water cleaning things.

asset test

Paper and cardboard and drinks bottles/cans are fine for the Green bin here, but anything that needs to be rinsed and clean going into that bin can whistle for now.

I think that is a reasonable approach while this water thing goes on.

Glad to see others thinking similarly!

Gin Soaked

Also, there is no "cold" water from the mains tap anymore. TESCO do a bag of ice for 80c, (possibly less than the same volume of water in a bottle..), so Ice in your water bottle is a good option. And those double lined aluminium bottles keep ice water icy for 8 hours easy....

asset test

Also, there is no "cold" water from the mains tap anymore. TESCO do a bag of ice for 80c, (possibly less than the same volume of water in a bottle..), so Ice in your water bottle is a good option. And those double lined aluminium bottles keep ice water icy for 8 hours easy....
Good idea.

I fill a glass fridge jug and it's grand. The mains water here is very drinkable thanks be.

Have a few humungous 5litre yokes from Aldi though, just in case!

ShoutingIsLeadership

For the duration of this water shortage etc. we decided NOT to rinse out recyclables for the Green bin. Instead they are going into the Black bin. Figure recycling will have to wait for a while.

Don't give me a hard time, there is a lot of water used rinsing out yogurt pots and the like. Lots.
Leave them aside for the day. Wash your dishes in the sink at day's end and then wash the recyclables in the dirty water. Does the job, no extra water used.

D

Deleted member 51920

If shes yellow let her mellow
If she's brown flush her down
Sure that's nothing
Once Mama fills the tub with hot water I get to go first
Then my missus followed by the kids
Not sure if the last one ends up any cleaner

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's amazing how much treated water we convert into dirty water cleaning things.
There is still no law regarding water conservation for new builds, yet politicians claim that they care about water wastage.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Fill a jug and put it in the fridge. Then use / top up as required during the day

asset test

Leave them aside for the day. Wash your dishes in the sink at day's end and then wash the recyclables in the dirty water. Does the job, no extra water used.
Don't wash dishes anymore, have a dishwasher for that, oh the joys. But I take your point for those who may not use such appliances.

But dishwashers are apparently very frugal water wise, compared to washing a sh it load of stuff in the sink!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Don't wash dishes anymore, have a dishwasher for that, oh the joys. But I take your point for those who may not use such appliances.

But dishwashers are apparently very frugal water wise, compared to washing a sh it load of stuff in the sink!
A sink of water cleans the dishes...clean items first!

SEAMAI

Fill a jug and put it in the fridge. Then use / top up as required during the day
Or you could piss in a jug and store that in the fridge, chilling it is the trick to make it more palatable, aparently, the ultimate in recycling. I will if you will.

Sweet Darling

There is still no law regarding water conservation for new builds, yet politicians claim that they care about water wastage.
Why haven't the RASF mongs that "run" Dublin city council build reservoirs to collect all the rain that falls on us 300 day a year.
After all, they know a thing or two about clearing people off the land

FunkyBoogaloo

Stop washing rubbish altogether, please. Drought or no drought. It's rubbish ffs... not to mention an unnecessary waste of a vital resource.

asset test

Or you could piss in a jug and store that in the fridge, chilling it is the trick to make it more palatable, the ultimate in recycling. I will if you will.
Heard that is great for applying to sunburn, hence all the Urea creams around!

Not that I'll ever try it either.

asset test

Stop washing rubbish altogether, please. Drought or no drought. It's rubbish ffs... not to mention an unnecessary waste of a vital resource.
It is just so ironic that we are being encouraged to recycle but waste so much water cleaning them on the bin company's instructions.

I think I will probably just feck the items that need washing into the Black bin from now on and just put plastic bottles, paper, cardboard and tins in the Green bin.

There is very little advice being given about our approach to this. But I suppose DOE and IW are reluctant to speak up when private companies are involved. Mad Ted.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies