Conserving Water

milipod

A couple of days of sunshine and we have turned into the Gobi desert...

FunkyBoogaloo

It is just so ironic that we are being encouraged to recycle but waste so much water cleaning them on the bin company's instructions.

I think I will probably just feck the items that need washing into the Black bin from now on and just put plastic bottles, paper, cardboard and tins in the Green bin.

There is very little advice being given about our approach to this. But I suppose DOE and IW are reluctant to speak up when private companies are involved. Mad Ted.
Continue to recycle... all of it. Just don't waste water washing the stuff. :)

Pabilito

Sure that's nothing
Once Mama fills the tub with hot water I get to go first
Then my missus followed by the kids
Not sure if the last one ends up any cleaner
If shes yellow let her mellow
If she's brown flush her down

Half Nelson

Continue to recycle... all of it. Just don't waste water washing the stuff. :)
Reading between the lines, IW is expecting the drought to reach crisis levels.

SEAMAI

We had about 20 minutes of what I'd describe as a light sprinkle about 8.30 last night, I actually stood out in it, inhaling the heavenly scent of ozone but then the sun came out and within 10 minutes everything was bone dry again.

It's going to take days if not weeks of persistent heavy rain before things get back to some sort of normality but I don't see that happening any time soon. To

che schifo

If shes yellow let her mellow
If she's brown flush her down
If you place a colander inside the toilet bowl, any jobbies can then be caught rather than requiring a flush. These can then simply be discarded by tipping the contents into next doors garden...

hoipolloi

If you’re one of the lucky ones with two toilets in your home you can actually reserve one for number ones and flush it last thing at night.

Murder in the house as to who's the one who has to flush ...

Socratus O' Pericles

It'll rain in a couple of weeks and all this will be forgotten.

publicrealm

What the Irish Government should do is set up some kind of national water company to manage the supply and make sure everyone is doing their bit to conserve it. Maybe a small charge per household too.

That would be a huge bonus for lots of people.

Gin Soaked

Reading between the lines, IW is expecting the drought to reach crisis levels.
Yep. Unless August is very, very wet. July is going to stay dry or trace rain...

They are in panic mode,, and are so too late.

Or.....

This is just what they need to swing public opinion back to a grown up conversation on being a grown up country and paying for water and so affording to fix leaks....

Or....

Drain the Shannon (2%) to Dublin....

SPN

Makes me laugh. Some like yourself do the right thing. Others dont give a boll ix :(
Nothing new there.

According to the polls there are still one in four voters who would vote for the FFailures to bankrupt the country all over again.

gerhard dengler

We had about 20 minutes of what I'd describe as a light sprinkle about 8.30 last night, I actually stood out in it, inhaling the heavenly scent of ozone but then the sun came out and within 10 minutes everything was bone dry again.

It's going to take days if not weeks of persistent heavy rain before things get back to some sort of normality but I don't see that happening any time soon. To
It is inevitable that we will get a lot of rain at some point soon. I'm no fan of this very hot weather, but this very hot spell of weather is in my experience exceptional rather than the rule.

People just need to make some small adjustments to their behaviour to save/better utilise water. Used water harvesting takes a small bit of initiative. Washing your used cutlery/delph in a basin. You can used the water in the basin to water plants etc later.
Another simple tip is before having a shower, place a basin in the shower to stand in. It will collect the water used in the shower, and you can use that same water for other cleaning later too.
When brushing your teeth, don't leave the tap running.

There are loads of simple behaviours that we can all adopt to harvest water during this very dry spell.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies