Console Charity - Are Irish charities a money making machine for their founders

Emily Davison

You couldn`t meet a more honest person than the accountant Jim Luby.

Going back to the OP

Money making machine for those that may be dishonest. Most charities hopefully are run for the right reasons still.
Are they though, how do you know that. All they seem to do in a lot of cases is rake in a lot of money and spend the vast majority of it on advertising and staffing. There was a case in the UK where an elderly person killed themselves from the stress of mail from so many charities.

What charities are open and transparent, where the figures are public and all spending is clear as day? And is doing good work?

Last edited:

Emily Davison

How come also it takes a year for the report to be prepared. Surely there was a need for the report to be expediated ?
How come RTE is exposing this. Where is the charity regulator. This didn't happen today or yesterday.

Emily Davison

It doesn't, a group of forensic accountants can go in to these organisations and expeditiously do a forensic analysis of their records and activities relating to the grant funding and how the monies are being expended.
But who does the analysis. Who picks the accountants. You can pick rogue accountants. Do charities not have financial audits or are they exempt?

Last edited:

freewillie

I was so disgusted watching this that I have decided to set up my own charity to act as a watchdog. All contributions please to my Lagos account.
I wonder would Miriam become a patron. I know she has her knockers but she would be a good front for it. Genuinely!

Emily Davison

Those are the real questions. These are health services which the HSE is outsourcing. There might be historical reasons for how this emerged (possibly pre-HSE in health board era/) but it doesn't mean it correct for it to continue. Could it really be that its cheaper to pay 80% of "charity" budget & let them them fund raise for the remaining 20% than provide 100% of funding inside the HSE?

I don't know the answer to this. But there is another question, which really struck me with Rehab, and Brendan O'Connor of RTE has spoken about it. Why should you have to go to a charity for services with a begging bowl. You should be entitled to it, not be a deserving case.

Last edited:

freewillie

I don't know the answer to this. But there is another questions, which really struck me with Rehab, and Brendan O'Connor of RTE has spoken about it. Why should you have to go to a charity for services with a begging bowl. You should be entitled to it, not be a deserving case.
Ah now. Leave it out

Emily Davison

Ah now. Leave it out
I don't know what this means but I presume you are referring to O'Connor. Say what you like about him but he has been an absolutely magnificient spokesperson for people with Down Syndrom's and what the families are up against getting support.

damus

But who does the analysis. Who picks the accountants. You can pick rogue accountants. Do charities not have financial audits or are they exempt?
Some charities have an audit exemption and they produce bridged rather than a full set of accounts which doesn't have the same degree of transparency in respect to income and items of expenditure. In the case that I am talking about, the company went from producing a full to a bridged set of accounts. The grant funder was conducting an audit as part of its oversight of a particular funding programme and that's the basis upon which the accountants went in.

freewillie

I don't know what this means but I presume you are referring to O'Connor. Say what you like about him but he has been an absolutely magnificient spokesperson for people with Down Syndrom's and what the families are up against getting support.
It means I agree with you 100 per cent but the Government don't want anyone asking that question and the big wigs at the top of the charities ripping them off want their goodies maintained

stanley

but the will is not there because of the cozy Establishment circle that is operating in Ireland.

Have not seen the program but which politicians did Kelly hang his hat on, not possible to do what he did without their support and thereon Govt funding.

damus

It means I agree with you 100 per cent but the Government don't want anyone asking that question and the big wigs at the top of the charities ripping them off want their goodies maintained
There needs to be greater financial oversight of the vast majority of the larger and smaller charities many of whom are duplicating services in the same communities and providing services that are of little value for money and of negligible value in terms of their benefit overall.

Have not seen the program but which politicians did Kelly hang his hat on, not possible to do what he did without their support and thereon Govt funding.
What you really want to know was it FF because we all know if it wasn't then you will run away from this thread and hide as per normal.

kittykat

Domestic charities. Why?

I find the idea of domestic charities absurd. We live in a society and tax should provide services. The patches that some charities provide are a fig leaf for inadequate or absent public services or are subsidies to recreational activities.

tigerben

I will now only support Marymount here in Cork . Sick of the "big business charities" with wages bills , expense accounts , fact finding holidays ect all taking a huge amount of money before the charity is giving crumbs. The H.S.E is the number one contributer to a lot of " charities" , just fund the services itself would save money. We have too many charities all overlapping each other looking for funding . We are told we have a stringent rules guiding these but time and time again it seems rules are broken easy and no serious outcomes.

stanley

What you really want to know was it FF because we all know if it wasn't then you will run away from this thread and hide as per normal.

Your response confirms my suspicions, I can expect Suirview anytime now to weigh in and back you up.

Is Kelly another "friend" of Ahern, never a need or thought to "run away", when it comes to this type of corruption FF never fail.

SeanieFitz

So a lad with a past record like his as a conman can start a charity and there are no revenue nor company law concerns...

Yet my wife needs extensive garda vetting to treat cancer patients..

We don't half have our priorities arseways in this country
Incredible I agree. and to top it all he was recently granted a Rehab person of the year award, I swear, they showed Grainne Ni Seoige and one of the Corr sisters present it to him

Generally speaking I would be a defender of the PS however the HSE has serious questions to answer in respect of its vetting/auditing processes.

SeanieFitz

Could you please link to the doctor and religous references

It was all covered in the Prime Time programme last night, I am sure you will get it on the iplayer or elsewhere on web. It is absolutely incredible viewing

Sister Mercedes

And did their patron or his staff ever review the governance, or were they too busy counting his pensions and bitching about capitalism ?

Patron of Console – Michael D. Higgins, President of Ireland

Sister Mercedes

Anyone who donates to an Irish charity are themselves in need of the services of mental health professionals.

Sister Mercedes

I find the idea of domestic charities absurd. We live in a society and tax should provide services. The patches that some charities provide are a fig leaf for inadequate or absent public services or are subsidies to recreational activities.
If we didn't have charities, then how would ex-politicians and cronies be able to top-up their pensions and get overseas trips?