• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Console Charity - Are Irish charities a money making machine for their founders

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I doubt many donors would object to a charity employing someone to make sure the governance paperwork is right. It contributes to the bottom line and reputation of the charity at the end of the day.

Not being compliant is ultimately much more expensive for the charity.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The curious thing about Ireland is that the HSE is in prime position to be able to make demands in terms of governance, mainly because it is the primary funder of many charities.

It would be simple for the HSE to notify all charities applying to it for funding what governance information they need to make available to the HSE.

The information received would be auditable and should definitely include information on remuneration for trustees and directors.
No play, no pay.

The HSE would have to signal far and wide what they were asking for, why, and by when. And that public information element would prevent the usual dragging of injured bodies about that certain charity boards would indulge in as a distraction from providing the information.

Vega1447

Uganda

The curious thing about Ireland is that the HSE is in prime position to be able to make demands in terms of governance, mainly because it is the primary funder of many charities.

It would be simple for the HSE to notify all charities applying to it for funding what governance information they need to make available to the HSE.

The information received would be auditable and should definitely include information on remuneration for trustees and directors.
No play, no pay.

The HSE would have to signal far and wide what they were asking for, why, and by when. And that public information element would prevent the usual dragging of injured bodies about that certain charity boards would indulge in as a distraction from providing the information.
I wouldnt have the same confidence in the HSE as you have. I know of one charity where HSE audit made a song and dance about a relatively trivial amount (less than €50) being spent inappropriately (and I would be of the view that the expenditure was not inappropriate, although a grey area).

The same HSE audit overlooked, or missed a much more material item relating to accounting treatment of significant amounts. There was no cash astray - it was pure theoretical and highly technical accounting treatment which was picked up by the "real" auditor.

But the HSe does request a lot of information about governance etc etc

Watcher2

Another epic charity none of us ever heard of:

Charity with 23 staff had no monthly payroll reports; Alcohol purchases claimed in expenses | Irish Examiner

Who are they:

https://www.epiconline.ie/

But nothing there about how this charity started. Formally known as IAYPIC ....
If the government did its job, there would be ZERO need for this organisation. If there were proper standards in the HSE which were enforced rigorously (as they should be), this organisation would never even have been conceived. Even after the Childrens Rights referendum, the government of this country sat back and did sweet FA as usual. They are a disgrace.

And what of the Charities Regulator. They have been in existence since 2014. What have they done as regards stamping out this kind of negligent rubbish?

Watcher2

No play, no pay.

The HSE are in no position to do any of that. If their own governance was up to scratch, we would not have the pitiful reports of neglect from their own organisation as we see on a consistent basis. The HSE appears to have zero clue of proper governance....or much else to be fair.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The HSE are in no position to do any of that. If their own governance was up to scratch, we would not have the pitiful reports of neglect from their own organisation as we see on a consistent basis. The HSE appears to have zero clue of proper governance....or much else to be fair.
I will agree with you that the HSE does operate as a slush fund for covering up all sorts of negligence. Usually with non-disclosure agreements attached which does little for governance and regulatory standards in medical settings in Ireland.

I suspect this quiet cash-cow approach is solely responsible for claims of the Irish health service being among the best in the world. It works in the same way that failure to prosecute and publicise corruption cases allows whitewashers to claim corruption is non-existent.

The OD

Ignore charities, ignore sponsorship requests, you are only fooling yourself if you think they are doing good with your money.

freewillie

How many administrators of these "charities" have received Person of the Year" awards presented by Miriam the Nations Sweetheart at lavish receptions in some 5 star hotel?
Massive rip offs all round

stanley

How many administrators of these "charities" have received Person of the Year" awards presented by Miriam the Nations Sweetheart at lavish receptions in some 5 star hotel?
Massive rip offs all round

About the Awards - People of the Year Awards

Unreal, but here is Rehab Ireland in the thick of it, Flannery and Kerins stroking away for many years use it as a cover for their own abuse of the system, pair of cants.

Paddy{ie

RasherHash

Donna Rainey
@donnarainey4

Follow Follow @donnarainey4
More
This is the meal served to my mum in her care home this evening. She has dementia. Is in her 80s. How many people of that era cooked/ ate this processed artificial Food? Why couldn't they serve mashed potatoes and green veg?

11:19 AM - 11 Jan 2019
1,058 Retweets 1,993 Likes PhilQuirky-Irish-IconsTom LeitchTrevor Stables 🔶️#FBPE🇬🇧🇫🇷🇪🇺 🔶️Housemaid and The FearGraham D Bakerϱlodɒl υиbɘяϱяoυиb☣Raimo Kangasniemiccat1
691 replies 1,058 retweets 1,993 likes
Reply 691 Retweet 1.1K Like 2.0K Direct message
Aaron GoodingTweet text

Aaron Gooding

[MENTION=25523]Aaron[/MENTION]Gooding9
now
More
Replying to @donnarainey4
'Care homes' are about making a quick buck and not caring for our mothers.

That's why they employ 'carers' from Brazil and Romania #profitsbeforepeople

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet Like View Tweet activity
New conversation

So Ani

@SoAni1919
16h16 hours ago
More
Replying to @donnarainey4 [MENTION=9593]alison[/MENTION]Lew
That isn’t food

1 reply 1 retweet 46 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 1 Liked 46 Direct message
New conversation

Alison Lewis

[MENTION=9593]alison[/MENTION]Lew
16h16 hours ago
More
It’s awful 😢

0 replies 0 retweets 2 likes
Reply Retweet Liked 2 Direct message
End of conversation
New conversation

Elaine Douglas

@cetti19
18h18 hours ago
More
Replying to @donnarainey4 @B_Strawbridge
Check out the CQC website on care homes. Standards expected. How to complain & reporting to their organisation.

2 replies 6 retweets 80 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 6 Like 80 Direct message

Donna Rainey

@donnarainey4
18h18 hours ago
More
Thanks Elaine, will do.

0 replies 0 retweets 21 likes
Reply Retweet Like 21 Direct message
End of conversation
New conversation

Tweed Ecology

[MENTION=35500]Tweed[/MENTION]ecology
19h19 hours ago
More
Not like. This is a joke when you see how much these places charge.

1 reply 0 retweets 79 likes
Reply 1 Retweet Liked 79 Direct message

Donna Rainey

@donnarainey4
19h19 hours ago
More
My mum was an excellent cook and baker. Fresh wholesome food was what she prepared and ate. This is alien food.

4 replies 3 retweets 114 likes
Reply 4 Retweet 3 Liked 114 Direct message

vicki nikoloska

@purpleswimtiger
17h17 hours ago
More
It;s not food it's a food like product,

0 replies 0 retweets 14 likes
Reply Retweet Liked 14 Direct message
End of conversation
New conversation

Brigit Strawbridge

@B_Strawbridge
19h19 hours ago
More
I am so sorry to know your mum is being given such awful food Donna x

It broke my heart to watch my mum being fed food like this. Just a few days before she died they brought her in a bowl of pureed pasta. No sauce, Just pureed pasta. She had never had processed food before

7 replies 7 retweets 46 likes
Reply 7 Retweet 7 Liked 46 Direct message

Donna Rainey

@donnarainey4
19h19 hours ago
More
Brigit it is horrendous. Mum was in her own home until a few weeks ago. We never served her this type of food. It's seen as normal fare it seems. If I hadn't been there to mash it all up she probably wouldn't have managed to eat it at all! Totally unsuitable. No nutritional value

3 replies 6 retweets 50 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 6 Like 50 Direct message

Brigit Strawbridge

@B_Strawbridge
18h18 hours ago
More
I can't bear that our precious elderly people are given food like this Donna. I used to take food in for my mum so she would eat, but when I didn't, she barely ate a thing. She was paying over £4,500 per month too. Keep taking photos and keeping records

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There is something very cringe-inducing about philanthropy award ceremonies in lavish surroundings alright. It is a perfect area too for the con-man or con-woman.

You get endless slaps on the back for being great while enriching yourself on the quiet. It is almost as bad as 'CEO of the Year' type stuff in the corporate world.

Actually the more I think about it the closer they are. After all Rehab has made something of a specialty in giving the impression it is a socially worthy charity with only the welfare of the people who find work with them at top of mind but in Rehab's case it started looking and acting at least at board level like any exploitative corporation with people at the top front and centre in the deception of presenting a business as a charity for tax and social reasons while operating very much like a corporate with less than optimal governance.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not unusual that in Ireland though. There are some national agencies who openly present themselves as lobbyists for a business when dealing with government, as a charity on their public facing website and very definitely as a charity when it comes to the Revenue Commissioners.

And all with plenty of room for sociopathic social climbers to build little dynasties in organisations which sooner or later start to smell of corruption.

stanley

There is something very cringe-inducing about philanthropy award ceremonies in lavish surroundings alright. It is a perfect area too for the con-man or con-woman.

You get endless slaps on the back for being great while enriching yourself on the quiet. It is almost as bad as 'CEO of the Year' type stuff in the corporate world.

Actually the more I think about it the closer they are. After all Rehab has made something of a specialty in giving the impression it is a socially worthy charity with only the welfare of the people who find work with them at top of mind but in Rehab's case it started looking and acting at least at board level like any exploitative corporation with people at the top front and centre in the deception of presenting a business as a charity for tax and social reasons while operating very much like a corporate with less than optimal governance.

They tell the State to plss off when it comes to disclosing any information about private donations or monies collected from the public, this is where they top up salaries and pensions way beyond any Govt guidelines.

Kerins also thought of herself as a property developer with Rehab assets, God only knows what deals she was trying to do hanging out with big sharks like Paul Coulson, questions need to be asked and answered under oath, she had a discretion on the bank account of 50k, serious damage could have been done.