Contentious Conference in Newcastle

Cruimh

Youth Defence disputes convention

YOUTH DEFENCE and its sister organisation in Northern Ireland Precious Life have called on the management of the Slieve Donard Hotel in Newcastle, Co Down, to cancel a major conference on abortion that is scheduled to take place next Friday.
Had heard of Youth Defence but not Precious Life.

It'll be interesting to see the DUP and SF response to this.

“Abortion is illegal in this country and the conference organisers and the hotel must respect that,”
said Katie Robinson of Youth Defence.
Abortion is legal - in certain circumstances - in Northern Ireland.

TonyBird

OK so they support free speech but they want the conference cancelled . How does that work ?
They may claim to be doing Gods work . I contend that God would never employ such idiots .

fluffykontbiscuits

Youth Defence disputes convention

Had heard of Youth Defence but not Precious Life.

It'll be interesting to see the DUP and SF response to this.

Abortion is legal - in certain circumstances - in Northern Ireland.
I signed up Cruimh for the the YDF's newsletter for a laugh and all I can tell you is that they are interesting IMO! Laughable Catlick mumbo jumbo and hilarious takes on scientific studies!

Sync

Someone should mail them and explain that they won't actually be carrying out abortions during the conference.

Cabbage/Turnip

if they claim they are doing godw work then they are implying god wanted that girl to be raped and get pregnant..(organised) religion cant survive today its mental...

fluffykontbiscuits

if they claim they are doing godw work then they are implying god wanted that girl to be raped and get pregnant..(organised) religion cant survive today its mental...
Thats more or less is what they are implying good point...they will say free will etc. etc.

UcanB

Reasonable position

Seems to me that Youth Defence's position is entirely reasonable. They oppose abortion, it's illegal in Ireland, this confernce is about training people to perform abortions (including late term ones, yuk) so Youth Defence oppose it.

That's fairly logical.

vanla sighs

Seems to me that Youth Defence's position is entirely reasonable. They oppose abortion, it's illegal in Ireland, this confernce is about training people to perform abortions (including late term ones, yuk) so Youth Defence oppose it.

That's fairly logical.
No, it's not logical. Terminations are legal in Northern Ireland, under certain circumstances (and they also legal in Ireland under certain circumstances as far as I know? Maybe someone else can clarify that)

UcanB

Not so, Article 40.3.3 still stands in the republic. The X case ruling has never been implemented because there's no public support for abortion here. neither is there any support in the north - the recent attempt to extend the 1967 Act was opposed by most of the political parties including Sinn Fein.

vanla sighs

Not so, Article 40.3.3 still stands in the republic. The X case ruling has never been implemented because there's no public support for abortion here. neither is there any support in the north - the recent attempt to extend the 1967 Act was opposed by most of the political parties including Sinn Fein.
Because something hasn't been implemented doesn't mean it can't be. If I am not mistaken as the law stands in Ireland a termination is legal in certain circumstances, that is all I am saying. I am not saying they do it or they don't do it, I am saying that in certain circumstances termination is legal.

As for Northern Ireland terminations are also legal in certain circumstances as far as I know.

But lets for a second say termination was absolutely illegal in any circumstance whatsoever - life of the mother - or otherwise, then we are still left with a situation where information on termination services is legal. This is a conference, not an abortion clinic.

Cruimh

That's fairly logical.
But the conference isn't in the ROI - it's in NI where abortion is legal.
So "Precious Life" may have a point but "Youth Defence" ?

Casualbets

A spokesman for the BFPA stated that “This is not a political conference with an agenda. It’s all about developments and research within the provision of abortion services...”

I'm sorry, but that's completely disingenuous - any such conference in Ireland has a political agenda by its very being. i.e. the normalisation in the public mind of abortion.

Scipio

But the conference isn't in the ROI - it's in NI where abortion is legal.
So "Precious Life" may have a point but "Youth Defence" ?
Abortion is illegal in Northern Ireland except in cases where the life of the mother is at risk. The law is, to my knowledge, almost exactly the same in the Republic.

Abortion, unless one goes by an incredibly minute reading of the law, is illegal in both jurisdictions.

Cruimh

Abortion is illegal in Northern Ireland except in cases where the life of the mother is at risk. The law is, to my knowledge, almost exactly the same in the Republic.

Abortion, unless one goes by an incredibly minute reading of the law, is illegal in both jurisdictions.
Scipio - Abortion is legal in NI .

There is not abortion on demand, but abortion is legal here - so UcanB's point about abortion being illegal in Ireland has no relevance to a discussion about a conference in NI.

Scipio

There is not abortion on demand, but abortion is legal here -
If the physical or mental state of the mother is at risk. If the mother's immediate physical welfare is at risk in the South, then abortion is permissible there too.

Just a thought. If men got pregnant instead of women, would abortion be illegal?

Excuse me while I choke on my coffee.

UcanB

Can one, or all, of the people who say abortion is legal in the republic please tell me legislation that made it so. No, didn't think so. Abortion is illegal, 40.3.3 stands.

other treatments for cancer etc are not abortions, that's pretty much established since they can be carried out here where abortion is illegal.

Anyway, sort of off point. Back to the conference; it has a big yuk factor. See the schedule here: late term abortion techniques up for a slot, definitely yuk. FPA : Sexual health news: August 2010

Just a thought. If men got pregnant instead of women, would abortion be illegal?
A conference for medical personnel on the subject of abortion being held in a hotel in Co. Down, is, it appears, upsetting a group or groups of people who are opposed to abortion. Fine. Fair enough. I understand. It is an emotive subject.

What else is emotive however, is the appalling injuries done to women, and the deaths of women due to illegal abortions. People tend to forget very quickly the way it used to be before Irish women could travel across the sea to England. Girls found bleeding to death in back lanes, turning up at hospitals at the point of death, infected, becoming infertile for the rest of their lives, poisoned by substances that quacks "swore" would abort the foetus.

Do these people who oppose abortion here in Ireland honestly think that it does not happen? I had a young man come up to me once some years ago outside the Dáil gates screaming about "women being murderers". Youth Defence at their best. I told him to feck off and come back to me when he was pregnant. How dare anyone judge another person for an act they allow performed on their own bodies, or on anything their bodies might be relying on for life. How dare you judge and find these women foul and dirty.

You think because you forbid abortion here, in this wonderful land of ours, excuse me while I choke, that thousands of abortions are not being performed on Irish citizens? They are. The only difference is that these women then have to come home and pretend that all is well. All is fine because they sure as hell won't find any loving, christian forgiving welcome for them here. Hypocrites!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies