• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Contentious Parades

between the bridges

The Parades Commission is to ask the organisers of a republican commemoration in north Belfast about a video of a gunman firing shots.
BBC News - Parades Commission to seek republican parade response

Speaking to UTV on Tuesday, the Republican Network for Unity (RNU), who organised the event alongside the Henry Joy McCracken Republican Flute Band, remained unrepentant about the children's involvement.
DUP meets watchdog over child parades - UTV Live News

We have plenty of threads/comments on PUL parades, i accept that certain symbolism can mean different things to various sections of our society, but surely masked gunmen are unacceptable to all decent law abiding citizens...

vivabrigada

The parade at Ardoyne wasn't "contentious" as no one locally would have objected.
Masked gunmen firing shots is another thread altogether.
If you want to get into that territory, try finding the response from Unionists when the then deputy lord mayor attended a UDA parade, complete with masked men on parade and gunmen and one woman firing shots on the stage where he was sitting.
here's a hint:BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Deputy mayor avoids censure

vivabrigada

longmarch

The parade at Ardoyne wasn't "contentious" as no one locally would have objected.
Masked gunmen firing shots is another thread altogether.
If you want to get into that territory, try finding the response from Unionists when the then deputy lord mayor attended a UDA parade, complete with masked men on parade and gunmen and one woman firing shots on the stage where he was sitting.
here's a hint:BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Deputy mayor avoids censure
Come on bud it was all part of the parade. Have you any opinion on the matter. We here in the NI section must be the masters of whataboutery. I swear no group of people have it mastered to such a fine art.

I think the OP is reasonable and if you choose to engage at least engage it with a valid response or ignore it.

Glaucon

Orange parades are a blight on society and Republicans initiating their buffoonery are an embarrassment. The worst must be these otiose flute bands, which have as much musical or cultural merit as nails scratching against a blackboard and which certain Republican groups copy with abandon.

Firing off shots rounds off a thoroughly disgraceful spectacle.

vivabrigada

Come on bud it was all part of the parade. Have you any opinion on the matter. We here in the NI section must be the masters of whataboutery. I swear no group of people have it mastered to such a fine art.

I think the OP is reasonable and if you choose to engage at least engage it with a valid response or ignore it.
Yes I do have an opinion. The parade was to commemorate four local members of Na Fianna Éireann who lost their lives. I don't see how that would be contentious as it was confined to their native Ardoyne. I would tell the gunman to put away his gun for good but I don't think he'd listen to me.

likesfish

parades in your own area one thing
being abusive when walking past catholic churches something else.
masks and guns always unacceptable.
whineing about republicans when yourside plays the same stupid game worthless rather than priceless.:(

longmarch

Yes I do have an opinion. The parade was to commemorate four local members of Na Fianna Éireann who lost their lives. I don't see how that would be contentious as it was confined to their native Ardoyne. I would tell the gunman to put away his gun for good but I don't think he'd listen to me.
I've never heard of that grouping so excuse my ignorance. We just assume if you stick to an area of our own sort that it won't be contentious. Nobody really asks residents for an opinion.

I have many neighbours who hate the band parades around my way but no one asks them. They just grim and bear it and nobody has ever asked them if they are happy with it. They are Unionist which must mean they love the bands. It's rather bull sh1t when you think of it.

I treat the incident in Ardoyne much like I deal with incidents that originate in my own community. I don't get too bothered by it because I truly believe its just the case of the noisy minority huffing and puffing.

I certainly don't see it as a means to ridicule or mock because sometime somewhere we will of done or will do something the same.

vivabrigada

I've never heard of that grouping so excuse my ignorance. We just assume if you stick to an area of our own sort that it won't be contentious. Nobody really asks residents for an opinion.

I have many neighbours who hate the band parades around my way but no one asks them. They just grim and bear it and nobody has ever asked them if they are happy with it. They are Unionist which must mean they love the bands. It's rather bull sh1t when you think of it.

I treat the incident in Ardoyne much like I deal with incidents that originate in my own community. I don't get too bothered by it because I truly believe its just the case of the noisy minority huffing and puffing.

I certainly don't see it as a means to ridicule or mock because sometime somewhere we will of done or will do something the same.
Fair enough. BTW The Fianna were the IRA youth wing. I honestly don't think anyone in Ardoyne would object to commemorating them. I wouldn't have used young kids though.

longmarch

Fair enough. BTW The Fianna were the IRA youth wing. I honestly don't think anyone in Ardoyne would object to commemorating them. I wouldn't have used young kids though.
I would hope your wrong on that. I would hope some people in my estate wouldn't be pleased about a YCV commemoration. I'd expect no public opposition because people just want to live in peace and be left alone.

I think we misjudge me included what the silent majority really think.

devonish

I would hope your wrong on that. I would hope some people in my estate wouldn't be pleased about a YCV commemoration. I'd expect no public opposition because people just want to live in peace and be left alone.

I think we misjudge me included what the silent majority really think.
I agree, it's easy to categorise a community based on the actions of a few, quite often not even from that area. From the limited size of the "crowd", at most the locals gave passive support or were neutral or didnot want to be associated with it.

vivabrigada

I agree, it's easy to categorise a community based on the actions of a few, quite often not even from that area. From the limited size of the "crowd", at most the locals gave passive support or were neutral or didnot want to be associated with it.
You and longmarch make fair enough points, what I am referring to is the fact that no one from Ardoyne would object to comemmorating four young locals who died in 1972, a time very different from where we are now. It may not have been too well supported but it wouldn't have been contentious.

longmarch

You and longmarch make fair enough points, what I am referring to is the fact that no one from Ardoyne would object to comemmorating four young locals who died in 1972, a time very different from where we are now. It may not have been too well supported but it wouldn't have been contentious.
Viva all I have to say on that point is how do you know? It's an assumption. I'm sure you would agree?

Who asked all the residents of Ardoyne?

vivabrigada

Viva all I have to say on that point is how do you know? It's an assumption. I'm sure you would agree?

Who asked all the residents of Ardoyne?
I grew up there, my parents and many members of my extended family live there. I have many friends there and visit regularly. Of course I can't speak for everyone in Ardoyne but I think I would have picked up on any hostility to this parade. I didn't, and to be honest I don't think there will be.

likesfish

Its the clowns with masks and guns that need to be stopped that crap never ends well.
Regardless of side the orgainisers do need to be carpeted for that.
No excuses for any side to do that.
Prods or catholics guns are not acceptable at parades.

longmarch

I grew up there, my parents and many members of my extended family live there. I have many friends there and visit regularly. Of course I can't speak for everyone in Ardoyne but I think I would have picked up on any hostility to this parade. I didn't, and to be honest I don't think there will be.
Fair enough. You obviously know the area.

Mattarigna

BBC News - Parades Commission to seek republican parade response

DUP meets watchdog over child parades - UTV Live News

We have plenty of threads/comments on PUL parades, i accept that certain symbolism can mean different things to various sections of our society, but surely masked gunmen are unacceptable to all decent law abiding citizens...
The problem is never with Orange Order parades themselves - we honestly don't give a fu*k about them. The problem is when they are held in areas where the residents clearly oppose them.

As for your isolated example - yes, that was clearly wrong, and possibly illegal. But the issue of parades being held in areas where residents don't want them is a heavily one-sided issue, because 95%+ of such parades are organised by organisations with a clear Unionist or Loyalist slant.