Controlled education and the GAA

McSlaggart

The GAA recently launched of a five-year scheme, which will feature an investment of more than £1m, to promote gaelic football and hurling in Belfast.

Is it not time that the controlled education sector embraced the GAA and its sports?

Craigmore..

The GAA recently launched of a five-year scheme, which will feature an investment of more than £1m, to promote gaelic football and hurling in Belfast.

Is it not time that the controlled education sector embraced the GAA and its sports?
Why would the government embrace or fund something which opposes it and debarrs and discriminates against people who arent in favour of Irish Nationalism. Zoo this thread and barr this idiot mcslaggert from starting these idiotic threads.

Sword of Gideon

Why would the government embrace or fund something which opposes it and debarrs and discriminates against people who arent in favour of Irish Nationalism. Zoo this thread and barr this idiot mcslaggert from starting these idiotic threads.
Mcslag continues to amaze that he allowed to post on any thread never mind start them.

McSlaggart

Mcslag continues to amaze that he allowed to post on any thread never mind start them.
I know a lot of the "catholic" schools put out Football and rugby teams. It is important that schools teach as many different sports as possible.

Cruimh

The PSNI and the British army both have GAA teams. Why do you clam the GAA oppose the British Government?
Keep Politics out of school Sports.

The GAA constitution is overtly Sexist, political and Tribal.

Those who play its games, those who organise its activities and those who control its destinies see in the G.A.A. a means of consolidating our Irish identity. The games to them are more than games - they have a national significance - and the promotion of native pastimes becomes a part of the full national ideal, which envisages the speaking of our own language, music and dances. The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood. The overall result is the expression of a people’s preference for native ways as opposed to imported ones.
Mind you, how is the refurbishment of Casement park going?

Cruimh

I know a lot of the "catholic" schools put out Football and rugby teams. It is important that schools teach as many different sports as possible.
If the GAA amended its constitution, dropped the sexism, and if SF would stop blocking Integrated education, then a lot more protestant Children might be taught the Irish Language and Gaelic sports .....

Of course there might still be problems if schools competitions were named after terrorists ....

Craigmore..

The PSNI and the British army both have GAA teams. Why do you clam the GAA oppose the British Government?
For the umpteenth time working as a solider or police is not representative of political beliefs! Are you really that thick?

CastleRay

I don’t see much demand for playing it in anything but RC schools. I don’t think Political organisations be allowed into state schools.

It is important that schools teach as many different sports as possible.
Why? Most schools I know of provide a wide offering to meet demand already. The only demand I see is for football in grammar schools which is not always provided.

D

Deleted member 17573

If the GAA amended its constitution, dropped the sexism, and if SF would stop blocking Integrated education, then a lot more protestant Children might be taught the Irish Language and Gaelic sports .....

Of course there might still be problems if schools competitions were named after terrorists ....
You would, of course, be a camogie fan yourself.:rolleyes:

McSlaggart

I don’t think Political organisations be allowed into state schools.
???

A interesting point of view. The fact is that schools do let a lot of political organisations into do things with their students for example amnesty international.

McSlaggart

For the umpteenth time working as a solider or police is not representative of political beliefs! Are you really that thick?
My dear person you stated the GAA was opposed to the "British Government"! If that was the case why would the same British government have its police and army playing some of its sports.

McSlaggart

I don’t see much demand for playing it in anything but RC schools. I don’t think Political organisations be allowed into state schools.

Why? Most schools I know of provide a wide offering to meet demand already. The only demand I see is for football in grammar schools which is not always provided.

The GAA has the funds in place to support the starting of Football in grammar schools.

Barroso

Well, football is fine - which grammar schools don't provide it?

And what about camogie, hurling and handball?

Oh, sorry, when you say football - is it soccer you mean?

PBP voter

Up till the troubles started very few played GAA in the six counties.

It got reasonably popular during the troubles ie the Gaelic football but not really hurling.

Now it is dying out.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-if-youngsters-cant-get-regular-games-they-will-turn-to-soccer-or-playstation-or-alcohol-or-drugs-36808029.html

A few days earlier, our minors had played against one of the west Belfast clubs in an official cup fixture. Their club is in a very underprivileged area of the city and they do tremendous work with their young people. But by the time they reach 16 the kids are abandoning the games.
Kids can spot bullsh!te quickly.

They know their own parents and grandparents have no history with the GAA.

CastleRay

The GAA has the funds in place to support the starting of Football in grammar schools.
Not much use if there’s no demand. It cannot pay its way to be non-nationalist, it needs to take the Politics out of its activities which costs nothing.

CastleRay

Well, football is fine - which grammar schools don't provide it?

And what about camogie, hurling and handball?

Oh, sorry, when you say football - is it soccer you mean?
Controlled sector.
I haven’t seen those games played either in state schools nor any demand for them.
Football is Association football around the world.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies