Controversy over plans to convert old convent into mosque.

Wascurito

Up until now Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon has been held up as an example of cross-community harmony. The arrival of 120 Syrian refugees seemed to be broadly welcomed within the town. Numerous activities such as sports and language classes have been organized for the newcomers.

That harmony might be about to come under some strain with plans being announced by a local Pakistani businessman to purchase a protected convent and convert it into a mosque. Saint Mary's Convent was built in 1876 but hasn't been used for two decades.

One local former councillor said he would prefer for it to remain in Catholic ownership and be used as a retreat house or a home for retired religious people.

Row breaks out over proposed plans to convert historic convent into mosque - Independent.ie

Last edited:

razorblade

This cant be allowed to happen in this country, all mosques should be banned from western civilisation for security reasons, they are not compatible with our laws and culture.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You mean... a catholic order would enter into a property sale with the heathen infidel? I fear a Crusade to relieve Ballaghadareen must be called by at least one of the many popes.

Led by the Field Marshall on a steady nag with a colander on his head, his lance in his hand and his trusty sidekick Ratio et Fides by his side on a mule called Roxinante.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Up until now Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon has been held up as an example of cross-community harmony. The arrival of 120 Syrian refugees seemed to be broadly welcomed within the town. Numerous activities such as sports and language classes have been organized for the newcomers.

That harmony might be about to come under some strain with plans being announced by a local Pakistani businessman to purchase a protected convent and convert it into a mosque. Saint Mary's Convent was built in 1876 but hasn't been used for two decades.

One local former councillor said he would prefer for it to remain in Catholic ownership and be used as a retreat house or a home for retired religious people.

Row breaks out over proposed plans to convert historic convent into mosque - Independent.ie

he said he disappointed but said good luck to the man, how much strain and controversy are you hoping for?

Lúidín

Will the Ballaghaderreen building be big enough to accommodate the (madrassa) school as well? It would be improper to have the children of the mutually exclusive religions mixing with each other. It could lead to integration and neither wants that.

midlander12

I wonder which order owns it and how much they owe in the State in unpaid contributions to the institutional redress bill? All such sales should be subject to a 'State creditor' situation like when a Revenue debt is owed.

I don't have a particular issue with it being used as a mosque - both religions are equally daft in my view, though Islam seems to be in its dangerous active 'growth stage' while Catholicism in this part of the world has gone into what they used to call 'senile decay'.

asset test

I think the Catholic owners will decide. But that was quick!

What was it for before anyway. Much used and all that I suppose. Mother and baby home, or school or what.

lostexpectation

Website

here are the original articles Mosque planned for historic Ballagh convent - Shannonside Scally: I'm disappointed with Ballagh mosque plan - Shannonside

big place Additional Images: St. Mary's Convent, Ballaghaderreen, County Roscommon: Buildings of Ireland: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage has graveyard to look after

The_SR

This cant be allowed to happen in this country, all mosques should be banned from western civilisation for security reasons, they are not compatible with our laws and culture.
Whereas the workhouse it used to be is?

lostexpectation

Website
I think the Catholic owners will decide. But that was quick!

What was it for before anyway. Much used and all that I suppose. Mother and baby home, or school or what.
not sure if this was on the same plot
St. Francis Xavier’s Industrial School for Girls and Junior Boys, Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon?

Wascurito

he said he disappointed but said good luck to the man, how much strain and controversy are you hoping for?
The businessman who's spearheading the purchase might not be the best frontman for the Muslim community. He's been in some hot water already having made some dismissive comments about Ballaghadereen, implying that there was nothing to do in the town and that housing the Syrian refugees would be like punishing them.

ellie08

Will the Ballaghaderreen building be big enough to accommodate the (madrassa) school as well? It would be improper to have the children of the mutually exclusive religions mixing with each other. It could lead to integration and neither wants that.
hatred and segregation on the grounds of made up bs from 2,000 years ago must be the way forward. It has worked so well in the past.

Kai123

Islam is not a monolith. What branch of Islam? There is a world of difference between a Sufi or Wahhabi mosque.

What branch of Islam do the majority of the recent migrants in Roscommon practice?

asset test

not sure if this was on the same plot
St. Francis Xavier’s Industrial School for Girls and Junior Boys, Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon?
I am not in a position to say that is what it was, but I would not be in the least surprised.

And you do know that that the sale of such land is exempt from taxes, because they have Charitable Status.

I will say no more, other than the change of use to a mosque seems to me to be very quick off the mark. If it is true. I dunno.

Socratus O' Pericles

This will annoy the bejaysus out of flavourometer.

flavirostris

islamic colonisation of that town is really gathering momentum. There was an Irish Times article a few weekend's ago said there were 200 Pakistanis living in the town but it's probably closer to 400 and maybe above that.

There were a lot of ghost estates around the town which all now seem to be full of Pakistanis. How they got there, I have no idea but they have to be illegal immigrants.

As for the mosque, I hope the planning permission is denied.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Islam is not a monolith. What branch of Islam? There is a world of difference between a Sufi or Wahhabi mosque.

What branch of Islam do the majority of the recent migrants in Roscommon practice?
Turfi

Deadlock

This will annoy the bejaysus out of flavourometer.
islamic colonisation of that town is really gathering momentum. There was an Irish Times article a few weekend's ago said there were 200 Pakistanis living in the town but it's probably closer to 400 and maybe above that.

There were a lot of ghost estates around the town which all now seem to be full of Pakistanis. How they got there, I have no idea but they have to be illegal immigrants.

As for the mosque, I hope the planning permission is denied.
"As if by magic, the Shopkeeper appeared."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies