• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Convert vacant NAMA properties to prisons

Dame_Enda

Should the govt convert repossessed NAMA properties to prisons to resolve the overcrowding problems?

Shatter is using overcrowding as an argument that judges are sending too many to prison.

I refer to the statistics below to support my argument.

RTE said:
The annual crime figures from the CSO have shown that there was a substantial increase in murders and manslaughters in 2012.
There were 60 murders and manslaughters last year, 15 more violent deaths than in 2011.
The figures also showed that 54 of the 60 people killed in 2012 were murdered.
A third of the murders were gang-related, up significantly on the year before.
White collar crime, specifically fraud and deception, rape and explosives offences also increased last year.

devoutcapitalist

I'd allow the private sector to build more prisons and privatise the existing number of state prisons.

Sync

How do your statistics support your argument? What do murder rates have to do with the number of those actually convicted of murder? Do you think those convicted of murder are the people Shatter thinks shouldn't be sent to prison?

Sister Mercedes

We need to cut the crazy pay and pensions of Prison Officers before we start adding more Prison places.

An Gilladaker

Should the govt convert repossessed NAMA properties to prisons to resolve the overcrowding problems?

Shatter is using overcrowding as an argument that judges are sending too many to prison.

Its not the developers and the bankers that are causing the overcrowding is it

Dame_Enda

Another issue is that the courts would be less reticent about imposing harsh sentences if there was more prison space. 90% of prison sentences are about 1 yr or less according to a recent RTE report. Murderers and rapists should be the priority in incarceration terms.

Moneygod

What argument? All you did was ask a question, and not a very smart one at that! I'll have to assume that you are unaware of the workings of a prison or the requirements of the infrastructure they need. It's all very detailed indeed and therefore the suggestion of using non purpose built units is completely rediculous .

Fir Bolg

Well done. Its early May and the most idiotic post of the year award can be handed out.

Keep up the good work.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Why stop at prisons anyway?

Why not hospitals and schools as well while we're at it?

CookieMonster

Eah, what?

CookieMonster

Another issue is that the courts would be less reticent about imposing harsh sentences if there was more prison space. 90% of prison sentences are about 1 yr or less according to a recent RTE report. Murderers and rapists should be the priority in incarceration terms.
Indeed. Think of the terror instilled in Ireland's criminal population when they think about being incarcerated in a three bed semi in Leitrim... with bars on the windows.

Last edited:

livingstone

As has been pointed out, there are lots of problems with this.

#1 is that capital isn't the only obstacle to new prison places. New places = more revenue spending, so even if the building were there and suitable, that's not the only issue.

#2 is that the buildings aren't fit for that purpose. Prisons need to be specifically designed to work with existing operating models. Prisons run with officers having specific range of clear sight, specific configurations of cells etc.

#3 even if you did have the revenue spending available for new prison places, and even if the buildings could be suitable, it would require massive conversion costs which the state can't afford.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Indeed. Think of the terror instilled in Ireland's criminal population when they think about being incarcerated in a three bed semi in Leitrim.
Considering the work put into many of them, you could try getting through a wall with a toothpick. It could take days mind...