Conviction on violent disorder charge overturned.

davidcameron

Man who spent year in prison for crime he didn't commit has violent disorder conviction quashed

The Court of Appeal quashed Declan Tynan's conviction on a violent disorder charge.

The following is from an article on the case last week.

Dublin man to have conviction quashed after spending 11 months in prison for a crime he didn't commit

Last September, a 30-year-old man came forward and swore an affidavit that it was he, and not Tynan, who had been the third assailant in the bookmakers, having first alerted Tynan’s family to that fact when he became aware that the other man was in prison for the crime.
A garda who wasn't connected to the investigation wrongly identified the third man as Tynan.

How could the garda mistakenly believe that Tynan appeared in the CCTV video?

What reason could there be for the prior entries about Tynan on the PULSE system (mentioned in the Journal articles and grounds for a previous appeal that was unsuccessful)?

Why didn't the two men who pleaded guilty to affray say that Tynan wasn't the third man?

Considering that a charge of violent disorder doesn't hold the accused legally responsible for deaths or injuries resulting from the incident, why would it be thought necessary to impose a custodial sentence for it?

hellsbells

I think I think I smell a stink
and I think the stink is off of
I wonder who ??????????

davidcameron

Here's an interesting case (Article published on 7 May 2013):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/pair-caught-in-undercover-garda-drugs-operation-jailed-1.1385588
The “facilitator”, Karl Fish (27), introduced an undercover garda to “amateur” Declan Tynan (23), who supplied €500 of heroin to the garda but forgot to take any money for the drugs.

Tynan, Vincent Street flats, and Fish, Ashgrove, The Coombe, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to supply of a controlled drug at Vincent Street flats on March 16th, 2011. Tynan also pleaded guilty to possession of heroin on the same occasion.

Fish has 77 previous convictions while Tynan has 21.
Judge Ring imposed a 2½- year sentence on Fish and a two-year sentence on Tynan. She suspended the final 18 months of both sentences and imposed 12 months’ probation under supervision.

Garda Gillian Moran told Colm Ó Briain, prosecuting, that gardaí were in possession of information linking a mobile phone number to the provision of drugs.
Garda Moran agreed with Eoghan Cole, defending Tynan, that it was “unusual” that Tynan had forgotten to relieve the purchaser of the drugs of any money at the time. She agreed gardaí were aware of a “serious and credible threat” to Tynan’s safety.
Mr Cole said Tynan was a father of one who had been a drug-user from a young age. He lost his brother, to whom he was very close, in 2008 and came from a good family.

He said Tynan had been engaging with rehabilitative services but after suffering a relapse found himself in hospital six months ago having overdosed on cocaine.

Mr Cole described Tynan as “an amateur and something of a fool” and not a hardened criminal.

devoutcapitalist

I hope Declan Tynan sues the State to the hilt for wrongful imprisonment, the Garda in question should be sacked who framed him.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
kerry babies anyone this is how they ve always done buisness here

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies