• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cool New Irish Invention

eyeswideopen

Video: Irish student invents 'best thing since Sellotape' - Technology, Business - Independent.ie

An Irish art student based in a warehouse in east London has invented a product already being described as the best thing since Sellotape and Blu-Tack.

Sugru is a silicone, which can be used to glue things together, patch leaky boots, or create a variety of custom-made handles, hooks, and feet for wobbly chair legs.

It has the appearance of children's modelling clay, which once out of its airtight packet, can be moulded into any shape and fixed onto leather, metal, ceramic, wood and plastic.

After about 24 hours it "cures" and will adhere to any substance with the strength of ultra strong glue but it does not become rock hard. Instead, it stays slightly flexible.

Sugru, Irish for play, has been invented by Jane Ni Dhulchaointigh, a former art student determined to give old and broken household objects a new lease of life.

"I was inspired by the internet and the whole idea of user-generated content. I wanted something that people could make their own and use in their own way.

"A lot of stuff gets thrown away not just because it is broken but because it has stopped being useful or fashionable. If you can adapt it or hack it that's got to be better than putting it in the bin."
The material, once cured, is dishwasher proof and heat resistant to 180C (356F). A packet, containing 10 sachets of Sugru, costs £7 (€7.70).
A brilliant stocking filler, able to give hours of harmless amusement.

Any good suggestions on what to use it for ?

eyeswideopen

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJsH5WL9IE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- meet sugru[/ame]

Cassandra Syndrome

eoghanacht

pump it into the governments mouths and send them to flood hit areas as life rafts or seeing as the worst is over (hopefully) just set them adrift on the open sea

Cael

What a dissapointment - I was hoping it was going to be a new form of guillotine.

hmmm

3M or Loctite and the might of their R&D departments will be stumped

another Irish bluster, my, some of us certainly know how to cry wolf

Destiny's Soldier

Thanks Eyes, great invention.

eyeswideopen

Is this our smart economy?

Interesting but is this really a new invention?
Would she have got anywhere with it here, I wonder ?

I can't think of a compable product. It would seem to have an application as an art material as well as for fixing things up.

It will be interesting to see if people come up with some good applications for it.

Tommy Tayto

Nice product, but I'll stick with my penali fountain pen thanks. It even writes upside down you know.

truthisfree

Absolutely brilliant product, I use every material from PVA to re-enforced concrete in my work and this is being added already with a project already waiting on it. :)

'orebel

'orebel

I fix the fridge door shelves with silicone.

Too old to change now.
Just bought some of this stuff to try out on frayed charger cables and only found out about it because I couldn't be arsed to start a new thread.

What do you think of the spoon above?

DuineEile

Just bought some of this stuff to try out on frayed charger cables and only found out about it because I couldn't be arsed to start a new thread.

What do you think of the spoon above.
I bought some last year. Never used it. It is long past its sell by date. Let us know how you get on.

D

Dearghoul

What do you think of the spoon above?
Can't 'play the spoon' vid.

Looks like an excellent idea though.

'orebel

Last edited:

EoinMag

I bought some last year. Never used it. It is long past its sell by date. Let us know how you get on.

D

I used this a few times and really like it. The main thing I used it for is to put rubber bumpers on my television remote, it's a very high end universal remote control and it already had a crack from being dropped. Since I put the bumpers on it's been safe.

Another use for it has been to extend the triggers on my PS3 controller, it's really helpful in the likes of driving games to present the triggers higher than standard.

The one disadvantage is that the bright colours attract toddlers who may then decide to rip off all the rubber....yes it has happened.