Cork City hit by heavy floods again

mmrebel

Cork has been hit by flooding as heavy rain sweeps across the county.

In the city the Lee Road, Magazine Road, Centre Park Road and the Sarsfield Road on the Doughcloyne side are all flooded.

The Kinsale Road between the roundabout and Tramore Road is to be closed while a tree is down on Shanakiel Hill. School hill in Grange is closed because a building is unsecure.

Motorists were warned of dangerous driving conditions with the N22 Cork to Tralee Road barely passable in parts.

There is also localised flooding on the road from Mallow to Cork, Blackpool and Waterfall while debris and fallen trees are adding to the difficult driving conditions.

The road between Carrigaline and Ballygarvan is closed after the Owenabue river burst its banks.

Bus Éireann has warned that a number of services in the city and county will be disrupted as a result.

In west Cork, the town of Skibbereen was bracing itself for the third round of floods in as many months after a flood warning was issued for 2pm.

A platoon of almost 40 troops and six vehicles have been deployed in the town to help the local authority and gardaí fill and distribute sandbags.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-hi...l#ixzz0cPeNqvKT

Just heard the there is dangerous flooding in Blackpool, Commons Road, Glanmire/Riverstown, South Mall, Center Park Road, Magazine Road, Waterfall area.

ibis

God hates Cork.

charley

eamonn o cuiv refused to accept that the thaw would cause flooding on the'frontline' programme last night

'orebel

jmcc

eamonn o cuiv refused to accept that the thaw would cause flooding on the'frontline' programme last night
He is a FFking idiot. :) Surely he realises that snow is frozen water.

Regards...jmcc

Cato

'orebel

fiannafailure

I saw that. He said that the government could not control the weather & that would just have to deal with if it arises. Woeful response & shows the central government refusal to accept any planning is required. :rolleyes:
The state CAN control both its response to weather events and its preparedness for same, has it not yet dawned that we have had 4 once in a lifetime flooding events in the last five years.

I would suggest that the phrase once in a lifetime be deleted from the state vocabulary

Rebel_Yell

I saw that. He said that the government could not control the weather & that would just have to deal with if it arises. Woeful response & shows the central government refusal to accept any planning is required. :rolleyes:
He may be a muppet but he didn't actually say that flooding wouldn't happen; he said that every situation differs and that they would respond as an when a response was necessary. Not sure what they could have done up to this point as the flooding is occuring as we speak. Time will tell if they have learned the lessons of Nov and whether the response this time will be more competent.

slx

God hates Cork.
I blame Donal Og
He's not alone, if I had my way there would be a plague of locusts hitting the dump.
If that were true I might reconsider my atheism!

If you have nothing sensible to add to the thread, perhaps you should refrain from posting.

The Republic's Second City, which has a metropolitan area of about 330,000 people, is yet again being washed out by floods which, yet again, are largely down to lack of planning and general incompetence which is coming from the top down.

We've got a situation where pipes have burst due to nonexistent, lax or extremely poorly enforced building regulations. Underground pipes should be buried deep enough to be totally unaffected by this kind of frost, or should be appropriately lagged.

Pipes in houses should be appropriately lagged and insulated, but sure that would cost builders and property developers a few quid and sure Fianna Fail couldn't have its buddies being put to extra cost. A badly-built, shoebox with no insulation is good enough for the plebs!

Our political "leaders" seem to know nothing about leadership. Instead, they seem to either be gone into hiding or are so socially retarded, that they do not realise that people need information and facts about what's going on.

The roads and pavements weren't gritted in most areas, I spoke to several people who were stranded at home without water over the last few days!

The whole situation is absolutely unacceptable. Some of these things require state resources, most of it however was down to pathetic planning and no leadership.

Even organising groups of volunteers to help in an emergency situation would be useful, but the state did nothing other than try to blame someone else and hide.

There are times you'd actually wonder if we have a Government at all, or are they just a group of exceptionally bad hedge fund managers / banking lobbyists !

Crisis after crisis is showing that the current incumbents are completely incapable of governing the state and are also so out of touch with the real day-to-day lives of the people of Ireland that they are just incapable of providing any useful leadership.

Something has to change!

loner

Gormley,O Cuiv and we know that no shnow Demsey is at home.,Batt is closing/opening schools, but where have the rest of them been---are they all abroad for their Xmas holidays--that wouldnt be very patriotic in our hour of need when visiting our 4th Green field to spend a few bob is frowned upon.

ibis

If you have nothing sensible to add to the thread, perhaps you should refrain from posting.

The Republic's Second City, which has a metropolitan area of about 330,000 people, is yet again being washed out by floods which, yet again, are largely down to lack of planning and general incompetence which is coming from the top down.

We've got a situation where pipes have burst due to nonexistent, lax or extremely poorly enforced building regulations. Underground pipes should be buried deep enough to be totally unaffected by this kind of frost, or should be appropriately lagged.

Pipes in houses should be appropriately lagged and insulated, but sure that would cost builders and property developers a few quid and sure Fianna Fail couldn't have its buddies being put to extra cost. A badly-built, shoebox with no insulation is good enough for the plebs!

Our political "leaders" seem to know nothing about leadership. Instead, they seem to either be gone into hiding or are so socially retarded, that they do not realise that people need information and facts about what's going on.

The roads and pavements weren't gritted in most areas, I spoke to several people who were stranded at home without water over the last few days!

The whole situation is absolutely unacceptable. Some of these things require state resources, most of it however was down to pathetic planning and no leadership.

Even organising groups of volunteers to help in an emergency situation would be useful, but the state did nothing other than try to blame someone else and hide.

There are times you'd actually wonder if we have a Government at all, or are they just a group of exceptionally bad hedge fund managers / banking lobbyists !

Crisis after crisis is showing that the current incumbents are completely incapable of governing the state and are also so out of touch with the real day-to-day lives of the people of Ireland that they are just incapable of providing any useful leadership.

Something has to change!
At least my contribution was original.

Disabled student

Cork has been hit by flooding as heavy rain sweeps across the county.

In the city the Lee Road, Magazine Road, Centre Park Road and the Sarsfield Road on the Doughcloyne side are all flooded.

The Kinsale Road between the roundabout and Tramore Road is to be closed while a tree is down on Shanakiel Hill. School hill in Grange is closed because a building is unsecure.

Motorists were warned of dangerous driving conditions with the N22 Cork to Tralee Road barely passable in parts.

There is also localised flooding on the road from Mallow to Cork, Blackpool and Waterfall while debris and fallen trees are adding to the difficult driving conditions.

The road between Carrigaline and Ballygarvan is closed after the Owenabue river burst its banks.

Bus Éireann has warned that a number of services in the city and county will be disrupted as a result.

In west Cork, the town of Skibbereen was bracing itself for the third round of floods in as many months after a flood warning was issued for 2pm.

A platoon of almost 40 troops and six vehicles have been deployed in the town to help the local authority and gardaí fill and distribute sandbags.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-hi...l#ixzz0cPeNqvKT

Just heard the there is dangerous flooding in Blackpool, Commons Road, Glanmire/Riverstown, South Mall, Center Park Road, Magazine Road, Waterfall area.
Yeah there was a huge amount of water unbelievable in Cork especially Commons rd. When i heard it so i went down there to see it as it took me long to get there.

Water was surrounding the hotel in Commons rd and rising. Now back in the city, it is a very wet street all over place wiping out any traces of ices. Beware small traces of black ice there as i slipped & fell. Nothing serious just hand gash and coat soaked.

Disabled student

There was strong gales this morning added with heavy downpour which added to it a very wet miserable day. I would prefer Snow to rain.

myksav

There was strong gales this morning added with heavy downpour which added to it a very wet miserable day. I would prefer Snow to rain.
I prefer the rain to snow and ice but then I'm a biker. Finally got out on my bike today, first time since before Christmas.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Ibis, God likes Cork, that's why all the rain. :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies