Cork City hit by heavy floods again

Disabled student

I prefer the rain to snow and ice but then I'm a biker. Finally got out on my bike today, first time since before Christmas.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Ibis, God likes Cork, that's why all the rain. :D
Enjoy the ride with your bike !!:D

macdarawhitfield

I second that point about the building standards.I pulled up the little 'uisce' cover in the pavement outside my place and the stopcock was right there - not even two inches down.I thought they were meant to be 18 inches below the surface.I just poured lots of boiling water down on it and it unfroze eventually.Feeling rather foolish,I stuck a woolly hat over the tap ,put the cover back and left my cold water running.

Cato: My son told me the Corrib had sheets of ice floating upon it - and that is a very fast moving river! Must be a million gallons of uisce waiting to surge through Galway,so don't gloat about our probs here in the Marsh.I hope you have a trusty currach at the ready.

myksav

Enjoy the ride with your bike !!:D
Oh, I did, I did. :) Didn't even get wet myself, waterproofs work.

There's a lot of debris on the roads though. Nearly got a lump of a branch in the chest when a car hit it and sent it flying.

MsAnneThrope

Genuinely sorry for all ye Corkonians, with all the flooding. What a couple of months. Sincerely hope the waters recede soon. Your endurance will be rewarded no doubt by winning all the major national sporting events and having utopian summers in the future while the rest of us shiver under our umbrellas. Ye'd deserve that. I might even come visit :)

G

Gimpanzee

The state CAN control both its response to weather events and its preparedness for same, has it not yet dawned that we have had 4 once in a lifetime flooding events in the last five years.

I would suggest that the phrase once in a lifetime be deleted from the state vocabulary
The danger with that idea is that a high level commission made up of top ranking civil servants and Celia Larkin, formed to look into your proposal will decide that a more cost effective alternative would be to bring the average lifespan back into line with the floods.

charley

are their sandbags ,water pumps ,slurry tankers available to control the water.after the last flood did the council clean the drains dredge the rivers ,reinforce flood defences ,insulate watermains against contamination?

DCon

did the council clean the drains dredge the rivers ,reinforce flood defences ,insulate watermains against contamination?
I think the Christmas holidays got in the way of any major clean-up

Sure, floods only happen once every 50 years so there was no rush!

hammer

The once in a lifetime weather conditions have hit Cork for the third straight year.

amsterdemmetje

The once in a lifetime weather conditions have hit Cork for the third straight year.
Just watching the news and RTE couldn't be arsed having live pictures of the flooding in Cork city this evening, they are a fecken joke.

cillian32

Just watching the news and RTE couldn't be arsed having live pictures of the flooding in Cork city this evening, they are a fecken joke.
Im not really a fan of privatisation .....although i would make an exception in their case.

gijoe

There was a shooting in Beaufort Co. Kerry new year's eve but because RTE obviously have no one on call to cover it over the Christmas/New Year period as far as they are concerned it never happened! Whereas if a couple of skangers in Dublin blow their noses it gets the full OB unit treatment.

ruserious

I hope city hall floods so the fat cats in there finally realise the city flood defences need to be improved.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies