Cork Green brings us royalty

st333ve

What's all this tourism nonsense about?
Do people actually follow monarchs to every country they go to?
I don't buy that tourism stuff.
It seems there are little catchphrases like that people use to justify fawning over Monarchs, the other one is something about them only costing people in their country 50p - but that doesn't make sense when one Royal wedding alone stings the British economy by 5 billion.
Hardly a sum you can play down by dividing it my 60 million people and calling it pennies.

If there are tourists in the country will they simply travel to somewhere a monarch is because it is an event?
Do they really fly over to look at a Monarch then fly home again?
If so they are sad little people and they deserve to lose all their money here.

Last edited:

st333ve

This could bring in much needed tourists,
Lets not get carried away now.

Is Ryanair doing a cheap Monarch package deal or something?
Kiss some feet and get a half price seat?
Why would someone fly to Ireland to gawk at some man because he's rich?

Tourists come to Ireland to see Ireland.
I find it really hard to believe that there will be a "huge" tourism benefit.
It's not like Jesus Christ is coming to show himself.
It's some wee baldy man in a suit who most people have never heard of.
I think the Corkonian man has over estimated the amount of people who will come running to see a Monarch.
This is not the 1600's, people are more interested in Man Utd and Playstations.
You'll get a few weird anoraks who yearn for some strange kind of father figure in their life to admire and they'll jump up and down trying to get his attention.
Every little helps?
When you're constantly throwing billions at banks you'd need him to come over and hand Monoco to Ireland to sell in order to pay off the debt that the right wingers keep throwing at their buddies, that might help a little and not the 400 euro you'll get from bob the Monarch spotter from Sweden.

Last edited:

DaveMc

Lets not get carried away now.

Is Ryanair doing a cheap Monarch package deal or something?
Kiss some feet and get a half price seat?
Why would someone fly to Ireland to gawk at some man because he's rich?

Tourists come to Ireland to see Ireland.
I find it really hard to believe that there will be a "huge" tourism benefit.
The visit as proposed (not the visit as is now going ahead) was reported in the press as including a visit to the world’s oldest yacht club in Cork.
I believe that Monaco and the South of France has yacht owners like we have mobile phone owners; if just some of them decided to take a break from the sunshine and ‘play’ in the waters surrounding the world’s oldest yacht club it would bring much needed revenue.

Fair play for the Corkman for at least trying to promote tourism, there are enough people that sit and do nothing.

p.s. The Evening Echo did run with a story that Michael O’Leary (Ryanair) was backing the original visit, and was going to fly in tourists from Nice Airport at subsidised prices.

Last edited:

Dohville

What's all this tourism nonsense about?
Do people actually follow monarchs to every country they go to?
I don't buy that tourism stuff.
It seems there are little catchphrases like that people use to justify fawning over Monarchs, the other one is something about them only costing people in their country 50p - but that doesn't make sense when one Royal wedding alone stings the British economy by 5 billion.
Hardly a sum you can play down by dividing it my 60 million people and calling it pennies.

If there are tourists in the country will they simply travel to somewhere a monarch is because it is an event?
Do they really fly over to look at a Monarch then fly home again?
If so they are sad little people and they deserve to lose all their money here.
People do travel to see the queen visiting other places. If you are in London, where she lives, you have 1, maybe 2 opportunities in a yar to see her, the birthday parade, and the opening of parliment. Because london, and Westminster is a tourist trap already, you'll have to share the view with a few million others. However when she is opening a play school in towcester, you have a better chance of getting "up close", if that is what you are into.
They will also visit the places she visited, to see it for themselves.

DaveMc

Almost 50 years on and the people of Wexford are making the most of the JFK visit.
Who is to say that the same can’t be done with the visit of Princess Grace’s son?

Whats On Product

st333ve

People do travel to see the queen visiting other places. If you are in London, where she lives, you have 1, maybe 2 opportunities in a yar to see her, the birthday parade, and the opening of parliment. Because london, and Westminster is a tourist trap already, you'll have to share the view with a few million others. However when she is opening a play school in towcester, you have a better chance of getting "up close", if that is what you are into.
They will also visit the places she visited, to see it for themselves.
The word "huge" is what I'm talking about.
Is there really a "HUGE" amount of people like this?
I believe there is more likely to be very few people willing to spend their money on following Monarchs to every hole in the hedge.

Huge tourist benefit?
Seriously????

I'm not saying there won't be, I simply don't know.
I don't get the whole Monarch thing so I'm not best placed to gauge the following these people or false Gods, Messiahs (or whatever they are supposed to be) have.
I suppose we can only wait and see whether it brings huge financial benefits to the tourism industry, either way I don't believe any democratic Republic should be promoting undemocratic dictators irrespective of whether they use the more respected terminology of Monarch or not.

st333ve

Almost 50 years on and the people of Wexford are making the most of the JFK visit.
Who is to say that the same can’t be done with the visit of Princess Grace’s son?

Whats On Product
An elected successful man who worked hard to achieve his position vs a man who gained his position because his father managed to have sex with his mother.

I say it won't be the same, as an Irish American president is respected because of his major achievement, and the other persons achievement is being a random piece of sperm in a womb.

You can't compare the two.

Schomberg

Hang on a second...so Cork is getting Obama, HM and the Prince of Monaco? LOL

st333ve

Well in fairness Cork is actually a very beautiful Irish city.

The fact that it's way down south and has a complete absence of grim horrid retched northern Loyalism and all it's nasty decor ensures that it will stay that way.

Last edited:

Roy Feen

Well in fairness Cork is actually a very beautiful Irish city.

The fact that it's way down south and has a complete absence of grim horrid retched northern Loyalism and all it's nasty decor ensures that it will stay that way.
Spent over 20 years living in Cork and the county is beautiful but the city, not so much. There are nice areas like around UCC and Sundays Well but a lot of the city is very grim eg Parnell Place and the bus station.

They should send the prince off around West Cork, beautiful area.

DaveMc

:confused:Has Michael Smurfit bought ‘our’ half of the K Club from NAMA yet?

If not, then the Prince was enjoying our (the taxpayers) hospitality at the K Club as well!

I have no problem with that, just wish the ‘paper of record’ would get their facts straight.

“The prince and his fiancee, a former Olympic swimmer from South Africa, arrived in the country on Sunday and it’s understood they stayed at the K Club that night, enjoying the hospitality of Irish honorary consul to Monaco, Michael Smurfit”.

Prince Albert brings touch of class and ceremony to Dublin - The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 05, 2011

Smurfit now willing to buy up Nama's 49% share of K Club - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

PlanetZog

Spent over 20 years living in Cork and the county is beautiful but the city, not so much. There are nice areas like around UCC and Sundays Well but a lot of the city is very grim eg Parnell Place and the bus station.

They should send the prince off around West Cork, beautiful area.
That applies to pretty much every city on the planet. Very few of them are universally pretty! To be honest, no Irish city is *that* bad when you compare them to some of the horrendous stuff you see on the continent e.g. beautiful historic cities surrounded by a doughnut of ugly, utilitarian high-rise apartment blocks.

Cork's not too bad to be honest. It has it's ugly bits, but it has quite a lot of very pretty parts too and a very nice setting.

Same goes for Dublin and Galway.

DaveMc

Are these guys having a laugh?
If Michael Smurfit paid out of his own pocket, fine. But last I heard we (the taxpayer) still own 49% of the K Club; if so, and the K Club picked up the bill, I am far from happy to be feeding and watering Fingleton and Lowry.

Monte Carlo and the busted:

Despite debts and disgrace, Irish businessmen and politicians all find time to rub shoulders with the royal family and other millionaires in Monte Carlo
(by Tom Lyons and Colin Coyle)

Prince Albert of Monaco and his fiancée, Charlene Wittstock, are used to turning heads. However, at a private dinner in the K Club last Sunday, it was two of their fellow diners that caused eyebrows to be raised.
At a dinner hosted by Michael Smurfit, the prince was joined by two of Ireland’s most controversial figures: Michael Lowry and Michael Fingleton.

Full article (subscription required)
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article600508.ece

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies