• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cork - ignored again by Dublin based media

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
Watching results coming in on TV, and listening to the coverage on the radio it was shocking how much the 5 Cork constituencies were ignored.

I know CNC and CNW were very predictible from early in the day but there were big stories emerging in all the others.

Cork East:

This contest was fascinating and the last seat was impossible to call for a long time between Stanton and Sherlock. Most people believed Paul Bradford would take a seat. In the end both Stanton and Sherlock got in and Bradford lost out, it was fascininating watching this story unfold yet it hardly merited a mention in Dublin.

Cork South Central:

I believe this was the most fascinating constituency in the country and should have been a centre piece of results coverage. So many candidates so close for 3 seats anything was possible - this was better than any soap opera, eurovision or Rose of Tralee in terms of drama or difficulty in predicting the outcome. Yet until the superb TD Dan Boyle actually lost his seat it was ignored by our friends in the capital.

Cork South West:

The result was well predicted in advance but the big story here was the performance of Christy O'Sullivan FF in topping the poll at the expense of the justifibly bitter incumbent party colleague Denis O'Donovan, another big story from cork that had been ignored.

Cork North Central:

4 sitting TDs as expected took the seats but a lot of other constituencies outside Cork had a similar story but this one hardly got a mention.

Cork North West:

Result was predictable from early on but the first preference performance of M Moynihan deserved some discussion, not to mention two sitting TDs losing their seats. This was seen as a barometer yet it hardly got a mention.

bremer

I agree. This is not an anti-Cork paranoia. RTE just didnt give coverage to Cork. I found it very odd. I found out that the counts were over in Cork SW and Cork East when something came across the bottom of the screen. It was not mentioned by the presenters. I had to go find the figures on the website. It was very strange in that they were giving massive coverage to counts in Dublin, Limerick, Galway etc while cliffhangers were going on in Cork.

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
This site was the exception - it gave Cork the coverage it rightly deserved but that was due to those of us on the ground trying to keep the rest of you in the picture and picking up news from each other. All the Cork stories were revealed and covered here quicker and in more depth than even our own 96FM which really tried to step up to the mark this time.

jmcc

Perhaps the regions need their own television stations?

Regards...jmcc

Eirenua

jmcc said:

Regards...jmcc
Rebel TV, it even sounds good

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
jmcc said:

Regards...jmcc
I agree with the sentiment but the stories enfolding down here were national stories that deserved far greater attention on national radio and tv. There were some huge stories in 3 of the 5 constituencies as I outlined in my previous post.

Corcaigh33

I love it - "the regions" - I suppose it could of been worse and you could have said "down the country".

We don't need our own TV station not that I don't think it's a good idea - we need our national broadcaster to start thinking outside the Pale - oh wait, that's not likely to happen is it..........

jmcc

Corcaigh33 said:
I love it - "the regions" - I suppose it could of been worse and you could have said "down the country".

We don't need our own TV station not that I don't think it's a good idea - we need our national broadcaster to start thinking outside the Pale - oh wait, that's not likely to happen is it..........
You think it is bad with Cork? The Jackeens hardly even know Waterford (the oldest city in Ireland) exists. :)

Regards...jmcc

DSCH

jmcc said:
Corcaigh33 said:

You think it is bad with Cork? The Jackeens hardly even know Waterford (the oldest city in Ireland) exists. :)

Regards...jmcc
Waterford is a town, Kilkenny is a city! ;)

kevmy

While it pains me to side with Cork people almost everywhere outside of Leinster is ignored by the media. The problem is that all the national newspapers (with the exception of the Examiner) are essentially v. large Dublin regional papers.
RTE and TV3 both based in Dublin.
Sometimes I tune into TG4 just to get away from the bogger bashing we get from most of the national media, even though I ain't a Gaelgoir

AXL ROSE

jmcc said:
Corcaigh33 said:

Regards...jmcc
I just checked on Wikipedia. Waterford IS a city! Who'd of thought...?

jmcc

DSCH said:
Waterford is a town, Kilkenny is a city! ;)
Only on Planet KK.

Waterford was a city before KK or Dublin even existed. :)

Regards...jmcc

Rebel CNC

jmcc said:
Corcaigh33 said:

Regards...jmcc
Waterford folk should welcome being out of the spotlight - takes attention away from the fact that they elected Cullen and Deasy.

Corcaigh33

Rebel CNC - wait for 3 weeks before slagging off the Waterford lads - there's the little matter of a championship match to be gotten over first ;)

jmcc

Rebel CNC said:
Waterford folk should welcome being out of the spotlight - takes attention away from the fact that they elected Cullen and Deasy.
Consider them payback for Waterford being ignored. Though they are probably a lot better some.

Regards...jmcc

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to our shiny, new Media Forum.</Mod>

Cashel Hill

A lot of constituencies were ignored on count day, Rebelman, not just in Cork. Nothing from either Roscommon or Sligo, Galway East, Meath West, Clare or Kildare North IIRC.