Cork Superintendent claims that Rmanians are being flown in to beg on the streets.

Scitlipo

Thread title says it all. Some years back it was obvious that Romanian begging in Cork was organised by the fact that there was one person positioned on each side of the the Lee bridges, at either end.
Apparently they avail of Simon Community services and move about the state. One guy arrested had return tickets for 5 other Romainans on his person.
Some were fined, others got probation and the rest suspended sentences.
Judiciary again at fault for their lax sentencing.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-superintendent-romanians-flown-in-to-beg-on-cork-streets-464738.html

good dog

Thread title says it all. Some years back it was obvious that Romanian begging in Cork was organised by the fact that there was one person positioned on each side of the the Lee bridges, at either end.
Apparently they avail of Simon Community services and move about the state. One guy arrested had return tickets for 5 other Romainans on his person.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-superintendent-romanians-flown-in-to-beg-on-cork-streets-464738.html
Between the Romanians and the so called homeless charities begging the ordinary genuine Irish begger cant earn a bob anymore.

drjimryan2

the Romanians (Roma) are highly organised......

no amount of guilt should lead you to give them money....

Catalpast

The law does not ban begging but offences arise when begging is accompanied by harassment, intimidation, assaults, threats, or obstructions of persons or vehicles.

Therein lies the problem

The Gardaí should have the power to arrest these individuals and administer on the spot fines and or confiscation of any cash above a certain threshold found on their persons

I remember when I worked in town seen the Roma beggars going into BOI on Baggot st

- and deposit their takings in their bank accounts!

Best one though was the lady who sat nearby with a little baby for about 3 years running

- go figure....:p

razorblade

They can stay in their own country if they want to beg since when has begging been ground for immigration to another country kick these spongers out we have enough of this from our own homegrown population without importing it from abroad as well.

popular1

There are a serious of them outside here
An old man one day
A young girl the next
Another old man then

It's highly organised

D

Deleted member 48908

I think the country as a whole will see a massive influx of Remainian refugees with the way Brexit is going.

Niall996

There are a serious of them outside here
An old man one day
A young girl the next
Another old man then

It's highly organised
Some of the Roma ladies can be quite attrractive though.

Hillmanhunter1

Begging is a Roma cultural practice, and seeing as it is much more lucrative in Dublin than in Bucharest, and given the free movement of people in the EU, they travel to where the cash is.

The Roma are descended from the Dalit caste of India and migrated to Europe a thousand or so years ago.

So much for assimilation!

Boy M5

Is begging that lucrative ?
Apple subsidiary that doesn't pay any tax but accounts for most of their profit is based there - Cork must be the richest city in the World. On paper.

asset test

I never ever give to people begging on the streets. It is a lucrative operation. They have their spots etc. It is an industry.

There is a guy who goes around Sth Anne Street area a little chubby fella with his hand out. Why? because he is deaf. Now I am partially deaf myself so I just laughed at him. Doesn't matter, someone will donate. Especially at this time of year. It's the old guilt thing.

But if the truth be known a lot of these beggars have a tax free take home pay far greater than our own per diem.

Throw a few bob towards Brother Kevin's Capuchin Day Centre, the Penny Dinners, or whatever equivalent in your area.

I am sorry to come across as hard hearted, but you cannot help everyone in the streets. And our Social supports are very generous too compared with other jurisdictions.

And it is organised. Those who really need it probably wouldn't be able to given sickness, addiction and so on. And the dogs are props tugging at the heartstrings. Sheesh.

Just like the Travellers years ago with a babby in tow. Don't see much of our indigenous Travellers begging anymore now. They obviously invested my donations wisely over the years!

SEAMAI

the Romanians (Roma) are highly organised......

no amount of guilt should lead you to give them money....
I pass through Patrick St every morning, it seems every third doorway has someone sleeping in it and from what I can see few are Irish. I also see a group of seven or eight older individuals who look Roma with rucksacks standing around looking like they're discussing their strategy for the day.

It's simple really, if people didn't give them money they'd move on pretty quickly.

Last edited:

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I told an apparently Roma begger the other day that I had already donated €20 to wikipedia.

He looked pretty peed off.

The very reaction I was hoping for.

Spirit Of Newgrange

try offering food to beggars ? in my experience you get a swift and resounding 'no thanks'.

cricket

try offering food to beggars ? in my experience you get a swift and resounding 'no thanks'.
Not across the board although that was a reaction I got myself many years ago. In more recent times, I've seen people buying food in these convenient stores like centra etc. and giving it to beggars outside the door. They seem to always check with the beggar first.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Genuine story - brother was in London a few years ago and he was asked by a homeless guy to buy him a coffee, to which he proceeded to do - as he was walking into the shop the guy shouts after ''soy please, I'm lactose intolerant''.

He genuinely was too after the brother got chatting to him. Makes you remember that being a 'beggar' or 'homeless' does not negate all those other little problems we struggle with as humans.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies