Cork weather June 17th 2015

users

This was the day the aer corps pilot refused to fly Simon Coveney to Cork because of concerns about fog.
Coveney later phoned to question the decision which the aer corps found very upsetting.
And lo and behold it gets leaked to a journalist around the time of the leadership contest.

I looked up so historical weather data and there was some fog on that day in Cork between 1am and 8am but it was described as light by that time.
I believe that it was an early morning flight that Coveney was wanting but I don't know the actual time.
The rest of the day was described as cloudy for the most part.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EICK/2015/6/17/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Cork&req_statename=Ireland&MR=1

I'd like to know what other flights were cancelled that day in or out of Cork because of fog?
I can remember landing there 20 years ago in fog so thick that we only saw the ground as the wheels were about to make
contact.

ruserious

The pilot or captain is in charge of his plane or boat. If he doesn't want to move, you don't question it.

users

The pilot or captain is in charge of his plane or boat. If he doesn't want to move, you don't question it.
I suppose you feel the same way of anyone who's in charge of anything, bishops springs to mind in your case.
You may not be entitled to override it but you sure as hell can ask him to justify his decision.

Vega1447

Coveney could have just got up earlier and taken the train - or got his driver to drive him down . Not much over 3 hours either way.

Question: what was the "important meeting"?

Gotta say that my opinion of Coveney has dropped from meh to **** off.

users

Coveney could have just got up earlier and taken the train - or got his driver to drive him down . Not much over 3 hours either way.

And let the oul aer corps lads have a lie in, I mean do they do much ever?

Vega1447

And let the oul aer corps lads have a lie in, I mean do they do much ever?
The purpose of the Air Corps *should* be defence of our air space and air/sea rescue.

The FFG gobs41tes have turned it into a ministerial air taxi service.

And they have allowed the number of pilots to drop to the extent that it is only fit for that purpose.

And of course they have refused to equip a single squadron of jet interceptors. - to *their* everlasting shame our State has an "arrangement" with the Brits for fighter cover in the event of attack.

Was it for this?

ellie08

I think the point is that the story has come out now.

Vega1447

I think the point is that the story has come out now.
Not that our national defence is being neglected?

Coveney (for whom I had some respect) committed (?) 1/7 of our small navy to virtue signalling in the Mediterranean.

And did nothing to equip and man the Air Corps.

midlander12

Yes, why now? Why not during the leadership contest? Is there some funding issue vis a vis the Aer Corps? (though even that doesn't make any sense since he's two jobs removed from it now). Coveney as always come across to me as a self-important plank, but I still think this is one of the most pathetic non-stories ever.

darkhorse

I'm sure someone will have the decency to look up flightradar247 to check it out...

I'd like to know what other flights were cancelled that day in or out of Cork because of fog?

eoghanacht

Was he going to open an off-licence?

D

Deleted member 17573

This was the day the aer corps pilot refused to fly Simon Coveney to Cork because of concerns about fog.
Coveney later phoned to question the decision which the aer corps found very upsetting.
And lo and behold it gets leaked to a journalist around the time of the leadership contest.

I looked up so historical weather data and there was some fog on that day in Cork between 1am and 8am but it was described as light by that time.
I believe that it was an early morning flight that Coveney was wanting but I don't know the actual time.
The rest of the day was described as cloudy for the most part.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EICK/2015/6/17/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Cork&req_statename=Ireland&MR=1

I can remember landing there 20 years ago in fog so thick that we only saw the ground as the wheels were about to make
contact.
What you need to look at is not the historical record of the weather but the forecast on which the crew based their decision. And in making comparison with commercial traffic you also need to know how each of those aircraft, as well as the Air Corps aircraft, were equipped to deal with low visibility conditions.

Dearghoul

I'd imagine the Minister had access to a driver if he needed one. Not an issue.
The point of the thread, or so I thought, was whether he should be using the Air Corps as a private taxi service.

The point of a FOI request would be to put some manners on him in this regard on behalf of the citizenry who pay both his own travel expenses and the wages of the air Corps.

users

What you need to look at is not the historical record of the weather but the forecast on which the crew based their decision. And in making comparison with commercial traffic you also need to know how each of those aircraft, as well as the Air Corps aircraft, were equipped to deal with low visibility conditions.
Yes, I would like to know all those things.
Pity the papers don't tell us and you know research the story properly.
Instead all we got was a self righteous aer corps whine about how their toes had been trodden on.

New Threads

Most Replies