Coronavirus: the good, the bad and the ugly.

LogoMania

I'm told that there's a branch of burgerking opened in Portlaoise now and apparently the staff don't give you your drinks but, for some bizarre reason, the make customers fill their own from a touch-screen vending machine.

A disgusting prospect even without the virus.
I was in a Burger King in an English airport a few years ago and they had that type of drinks machine. I would've guessed it's standard in most BKs at this stage? Like you say, regardless of the virus, they are a fairly rotten concept. Much like the touchscreens in McDonalds where you can see all the paw prints.

Emily Davison

Here’s my list of the good.

- Irish bus company JJKavanaghs
- Ryanair, for getting my child home, for free transfers, for the updates
- Scottish university for waiving rent
- school teachers for keeping my children’s education going
- The Scottish taxi driver who was very kind to my child
- Ditto the initially surly airport baggage hall attendant who changed his mind and came back to help
- the supermarkets for going above and beyond, to their staff for their positivity
- Aer Lingus, for their offer of refunds, free transfers and 10% extra on vouchers instead of a refund
- pie, for making me laugh and for keeping me grounded last week while stressed
- Irish government for making the right, and tough decisions, ditto here

Here’s my list of the bad

Last edited:

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
the good a clamping van driving around the parnell st area capel st end around 9am with 2 distraught looking individuals that could nt find anyone to clamp in a deserted city center.it must be terribly frustrating when your out there risking your life to continue essential service s

blinding

the good a clamping van driving around the parnell st area capel st end around 9am with 2 distraught looking individuals that could nt find anyone to clamp in a deserted city center.it must be terribly frustrating when your out there risking your life to continue essential service s
Those kind of guys would need watching. Could turn cannibal in an extreme situation like this. Their hunting mania could go all askew !

raetsel

I see that the odious Tim Martin, Wetherspoon owner, Brexit cheerleader and all round tosser, has been in the news again complaining bitterly about the UK's pub closure order. He's claiming that there had "hardly been any transmission" of infection in pubs, without any evidence whatsoever. And while it is perfectly obvious that nobody has wasted their time in doing a study into this, it is also perfectly obvious that to make any such claim is a display of contemptible dishonesty. The added significance of this is that Wetherspoons, because of its cut price policy, is disproportionately frequented by a large number of OAPs, the group most at risk. It beggars belief that someone would would want to put the very lives of his paying customers at risk in the interests of his own pocket.

Uganda

Cormac o hyra acting the total bollox on rte right now

barking and demanding solutions there and then from doherty

o. Hyra should be self isolated

CatullusV

I will put my hand up here. I am part owner of a small skincare company with my wife owning the majority share. She has turned over the lab and manufacturing to producing hand gel products for workers in the region. We won't make a cent from it, and the lab was to be pretty quiet for the next few weeks anyway, but she instantly held her hand up when the call came.

No name and no pack-drill. The efforts will be as anonymous as the bland labels on the containers leaving our facility.

I'm proud of my wife. She did what should be done.

CatullusV

Here’s my list of the good.

- Irish bus company JJKavanaghs
- Ryanair, for getting my child home, for free transfers, for the updates
- Scottish university for waiving rent
- school teachers for keeping my children’s education going
- The Scottish taxi driver who was very kind to my child
- Ditto the initially surly airport baggage hall attendant who changed his mind and came back to help
- the supermarkets for going above and beyond, to their staff for their positivity
- Aer Lingus, for their offer of refunds, free transfers and 10% extra on vouchers instead of a refund
- pie, for making me laugh and for keeping me grounded last week while stressed
- Irish government for making the right, and tough decisions, ditto here

Here’s my list of the bad
SNCF are offering free train rides for healthcare workers.

Also (and I don't like tipping my hat to Man U players) two of their former players who own some hotels have turned the rooms over for free to nurses in the city. As much as I hate saying it, the same two investors bought a building in Manchester for redevelopment some years ago. It was a very rough winter. Some squatters moved in. The reaction of the owners was that serious redevelopment wouldn't start for a few months. They housed the squatters on the basis of a mutual agreement. Fair play.

Betson

Also (and I don't like tipping my hat to Man U players) two of their former players who own some hotels have turned the rooms over for free to nurses in the city. As much as I hate saying it, the same two investors bought a building in Manchester for redevelopment some years ago. It was a very rough winter. Some squatters moved in. The reaction of the owners was that serious redevelopment wouldn't start for a few months. They housed the squatters on the basis of a mutual agreement. Fair play.

Gary Neville was one of the Utd players , all their staff will also be getting full pay while the hotels are out of action. He announced this before the UK Government announced their plan to subsidise wages of those employee's where the business has temporary shut.

Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has donated 1M Euro to help fight the pandemic.

Oh ,and a few Hollywood types have released a very over the top cringe inducing viral video of them each singing parts of John Lennon's imagine song as their response to the crisis.

CatullusV

Gary Neville was one of the Utd players , all their staff will also be getting full pay while the hotels are out of action. He announced this before the UK Government announced their plan to subsidise wages of those employee's where the business has temporary shut.

Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has donated 1M Euro to help fight the pandemic.

Oh ,and a few Hollywood types have released a very over the top cringe inducing viral video of them each singing parts of John Lennon's imagine song as their response to the crisis.
Aye, I knew that Neville was one. Serious serious props to him. Maybe not high fives, but at least an elbow bump.

Emily Davison

I see that the odious Tim Martin, Wetherspoon owner, Brexit cheerleader and all round tosser, has been in the news again complaining bitterly about the UK's pub closure order. He's claiming that there had "hardly been any transmission" of infection in pubs, without any evidence whatsoever. And while it is perfectly obvious that nobody has wasted their time in doing a study into this, it is also perfectly obvious that to make any such claim is a display of contemptible dishonesty. The added significance of this is that Wetherspoons, because of its cut price policy, is disproportionately frequented by a large number of OAPs, the group most at risk. It beggars belief that someone would would want to put the very lives of his paying customers at risk in the interests of his own pocket.
Sometimes there are good news stories. Couldn’t happen to a nicer businessman.

Emily Davison

Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs according to my husband. Well done them. Apparently Ronaldo has done the same.

Dearghoul

Yes that's a feature of London Life as well.

Traffic wardens were out in force this morning giving out tickets, with the air of an essential arm of the response which must show the flag of normality now, and will wait in their lair until this thing is over and order needs to be restored.

Popular Threads

Most Replies