Coronavirus: the good, the bad and the ugly.

Paddyc

Gary Neville was one of the Utd players , all their staff will also be getting full pay while the hotels are out of action. He announced this before the UK Government announced their plan to subsidise wages of those employee's where the business has temporary shut.

Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has donated 1M Euro to help fight the pandemic.

Oh ,and a few Hollywood types have released a very over the top cringe inducing viral video of them each singing parts of John Lennon's imagine song as their response to the crisis.
I never thought that John Lennon being dead was a good thing but at least he wasn't around to hear that.

Emily Davison

- Well done Pat McDonagh of Supermacs who will top up staff on the government amount. Including the staff in his four hotels.

- Well done Ryanair offering to do repatriation flights.

-Well done a friend of mine who is paying his housekeeper the difference between normal pay and the government amount. I’ve paid mine four weeks. She was decimated as she doesn’t want to be at home with her now unemployed husband. But I can’t risk her being fined or arrested and ditto for myself. But more importantly it’s my civic responsibility to comply with the rules.

My sister, in the Irish public service was asked by a colleague whether she should pay her childminder. The colleague’s husband said she should and so did my sister, as the childminder is dependendant on the money and the at home civil servant is fully paid.

Dame_Enda

One example of "the Ugly" is the so-called "Corona Challenge". Niall Collins TD will be discussing it on ClassichitsFM shortly. It involves young people sharing photos of themselves coughing in peoples faces on Tik Tok. Sick.

NYCKY

- Well done Pat McDonagh of Supermacs who will top up staff on the government amount. Including the staff in his four hotels.

- Well done Ryanair offering to do repatriation flights.

-Well done a friend of mine who is paying his housekeeper the difference between normal pay and the government amount. I’ve paid mine four weeks. She was decimated as she doesn’t want to be at home with her now unemployed husband. But I can’t risk her being fined or arrested and ditto for myself. But more importantly it’s my civic responsibility to comply with the rules.

My sister, in the Irish public service was asked by a colleague whether she should pay her childminder. The colleague’s husband said she should and so did my sister, as the childminder is dependendant on the money and the at home civil servant is fully paid.

My company, without identifying them is paying the third party vendors, that do the catering, cleaning, cafeterias etc to ensure that their employees are all paid while we work from home. I was really pleased to hear that.

I know that some big tech companies like Microsoft are also doing that, like paying the shuttle drivers that drive employees between campuses, and the cooks, cleaners that can't work remotely and tend to be at the lower end of the pay scale to begin with.

between the bridges

The Good

Before they closed a lot of cafes, restaurants etc donated food to food banks or ready made meals for NHS staff etc, various groups from GAA to Lodges and Bands and various community groups in between have been organising, shopping, delivery's and support for the elderly and vulnerable in their communities.

This wan caught my eye...

”There will be tea bags, coffee, pasta, biscuits, tinned food, beans, sugar, soap, toilet rolls, kitchen rolls,” he added.

Asked if they were sacrificing the Twelfth, he replied: “Yes that is exactly what we are doing. We have a good community and they support us in what we do and the council also supports us pretty well.”

A number of local shops have been crucial in making it happen, he said, ordering in the goods and facilitating them generally.
The committee has the manpower to distribute the food as they have around 30 volunteers.

Feckin big Lundy's giving up on the 12th!!!!

The Bad

Small number of firms making JD sports look good (as a lot of it is on bakebook i'll not name and shame as there could be another side to the story), con men taking money for shopping etc, and the feckers that bought all the lidl 4 ply bog roll...

The Ugly

FFS lads give it a rest...

raetsel

Well done to Aer Lingus and its pilots for this magnificent gesture:

Aer Lingus is to fly five of its largest aircrafts packed with health supplies from China in a daily coronavirus mercy mission for Ireland.
Dozens of its pilots who volunteered to help with the humanitarian operation were sorting their visas in the Chinese Embassy in Dublin on Wednesday.
The airline plans to send over its Airbus A330 passenger planes to Beijing up to 60 times to collect medical equipment ordered by the HSE.
And the Aer Lingus' crew made up of pilots and engineers won't be able to get off the aircraft - as they'll be quarantined if they do.
A source told the Irish Mirror: "The airline has dropped the rule book on this one to help fight the pandemic in Ireland.
"Dozens of Aer Lingus pilots put their hand up to volunteer to make sure these essential supplies make it here.
Ryanair take note!

silverharp

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I suspect they'd have to have a stopover for fuel and for human safety limitations as well.

raetsel

I don't think their planes would make it to China
You piqued my curiosity there.
They would easily be capable of doing the trip provided that they weight of the cargo doesn't exceed the maximum passenger load. The planes in question are Airbus A330s which have a range of 11,750 km carrying 277 passengers.
The flying distance between Dublin and Beijing is 8,280 km so they'd have plenty of extra capacity as well.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Quick fry-up and a few scoops at Murphy's off've Tian An Men square and it'd be turn the hoss for home.

silverharp

You piqued my curiosity there.
They would easily be capable of doing the trip provided that they weight of the cargo doesn't exceed the maximum passenger load. The planes in question are Airbus A330s which have a range of 11,750 km carrying 277 passengers.
The flying distance between Dublin and Beijing is 8,280 km so they'd have plenty of extra capacity as well.
I meant Ryanair , Aerlingus uses the A330's on their transatlantic flights so im sure they would. I doubt the standard 737's that Ryanair use would

Emily Davison

Well done to a Northern Irish company.

Along with Bosch a northern Irish medical technology company Randox Laboratories Ltd have developed a rapid Covid test:

Bosch’s rapid COVID-19 test is the result of collaboration between the company’s Bosch Healthcare Solutions
subsidiary and the Northern Irish medical technology company Randox Laboratories Ltd. “Together with our partner
Randox, we have succeeded in developing this innovative rapid test within a very short time frame, and we are now
in a position to offer it to the market. The Bosch Vivalytic analysis device evaluates the test safely and reliably
directly in the hospital, in the lab, or in the doctor’s office, guaranteeing the best possible protection for patients and
medical staff,

petaljam

Randox kits enabled a drive through testing system to be set up at Antrim hospital, and yet until there was a discussion about this on the Stephen Nolan show, neither government, north or south of the border, had been in touch with Randox to see if production could be stepped up to make this an option elsewhere.

raetsel

There is a alot of this creativity coming from companies both inside and outside of healthcare

That's interesting.
Meanwhile :

According to IDA Ireland, 50% of ventilators used in acute hospitals worldwide are made in Ireland.

Popular Threads

Most Replies