Coronor Inquiry

Catalpast

Looking to access the records from a coroners inquest from the early 20th Century.

Does anyone know if they are available and how one would go about getting access to them?

Any help appreciated.
The County Coroner in the place where the death occurred would be a good starting place

+ any local newspapers that might have commented on the circumstances of the case.

Outlaw103

The County Coroner in the place where the death occurred would be a good starting place

+ any local newspapers that might have commented on the circumstances of the case.
I have a news paper report but I want more detail.

I was thinking of contacting the local coroner's officer but he is a solicitor so am pretty sure he is not going to have a copy of the inquest file, although maybe he might be to access it.

I thought maybe there is a public records facility where the inquest file might be held. Was looking at the National Archives of Ireland website but their search function is the least user friendly thing I have ever encountered.

milipod

I was thinking of contacting the local coroner's officer but he is a solicitor so am pretty sure he is not going to have a copy of the inquest file, although maybe he might be to access it.
Do your own homework, Elvis.

Outlaw103

Do your own homework, Elvis.
Well, the advice is to contact the local coroner on the state website. I'm trying to avoid getting the guy involved if I can.

Its more than likely that the inquest file has been destroyed.

El Libre

Looking to access the records from a coroners inquest from the early 20th Century.

Does anyone know if they are available and how one would go about getting access to them?

Any help appreciated.

From the National Archives of Ireland webpage http://www.nationalarchives.ie/topics/Medical_sources/HR_2.html:

'Coroners’ records
Initially transferred from the Crown and Peace offices in the 19th century and more recently from the county registrars offices, coroners’ records are a useful source of medical information. Many of the earlier records were destroyed when the Public Record Office was blown up in 1922 but some 19th century coroners’ records dating mainly from the 1880s are held in the NAI as are the Official Papers which include summary coroners’ returns, giving name of deceased, date of inquest and cause of death etc. Such data survives for most Irish counties between 1835 and 1837 and for the years 1857, 1873, 1875, 1876 and 1878 with less extensive returns from 1858 to 1863.

Twentieth-century coroners’ records also survive, with some counties being better represented than others. The most complete set of coroners’ records survive for Dublin city, namely the morgue registers for the period 1871–1933. These provide details of bodies brought to the morgue and subsequent inquests on them, in addition to registers of coroners’ inquiries and coroners’ registers from the 1890s. The former relate to cases – later called natural causes cases – where there was some initial enquiry into a death but it was later decided that an inquest was not necessary. The coroners’ registers relate to deaths for which inquests were held and files on deaths survive from the 1930s. Many of the files contain postmortem reports on the deceased and all provide a unique insight into the circumstances of an individual’s death, generally through a police report and depositions of witnesses. These records are available to the public.'

Contact details for the National Archives: Bishop Street, Dublin 8, phone 01 407 2300, e-mail mail@nationalarchives.ie

Darthvadar

Try the National Archives.

I needed to access documents relating to a sudden death which happened in 1983, and the archivists were amazing!. They had a copy of Garda's report, Coroner's report, Pathologist's PM findings (and the pathologist's bill for £34 for performing the autopsy!).

They were able to find loads of info for me!.

Can't hurt to try it, anyway!.

Darth.

Last edited:

Outlaw103

The coroners’ registers relate to deaths for which inquests were held and files on deaths survive from the 1930s. Many of the files contain postmortem reports on the deceased and all provide a unique insight into the circumstances of an individual’s death, generally through a police report and depositions of witnesses. These records are available to the public.'

Contact details for the National Archives: Bishop Street, Dublin 8, phone 01 407 2300, e-mail mail@nationalarchives.ie
Thanks for help. The inquest was held in 1920's so I'm guessing this means that the records have not survived.

El Libre

Thanks for help. The inquest was held in 1920's so I'm guessing this means that the records have not survived.
As I read it, files only survive from the 1930s, but coroners' registers survive from an earlier date. Talk to the archivist on duty in the National Archives.

Outlaw103

As I read it, files only survive from the 1930s, but coroners' registers survive from an earlier date. Talk to the archivist on duty in the National Archives.
When you say coroners register what exactly do you mean?

I have date and place of inquest along with name of coroner. I also have a newspaper report produced days after the inquest was held.

I can see the newspaper report was made over the phone and that there seems to be a few errors in the report, at the very least place names not spelled correctly but I suspect other details are not correct. I am looking to get my hands on witness details, statements, police report and autopsy if possible.

Do you think I will get additional information other than what I have from the coroners register, if not all the details I am looking for?

I'm not trying to be difficult or lazy or anything I just find that if you have done a bit of prep work before speaking to a qualified individual, in this case an archivist, because the conversation will be more productive if I have some clue what i am talking about.

The OD

Try the National Archives.

I needed to access documents relating to a sudden death which happened in 1983, and the archivists were amazing!. They had a copy of Garda's report, Coroner's report, Pathologist's PM findings (and the pathologist's bill for £34 for performing the autopsy!).

They were able to find loads of info for me!.

Can't hurt to try it, anyway!.

Darth.
I preferred when you were an evil Overlord that I looked up to.

This new, helpful you is a disappointment....could you not have just forced them into cooperation via threatening several thousand turbolasers on them?

:(

Catalpast

I was thinking of contacting the local coroner's officer but he is a solicitor so am pretty sure he is not going to have a copy of the inquest file, although Maybe he might be to access it.

I thought maybe there is a public records facility where the inquest file might be held. Was looking at the National Archives of Ireland website but their search function is the least user friendly thing I have ever encountered.
Well they are friendly enough the last time I was in there. If you are anywhere near Dublin drop and ask them if they can help.

Darthvadar

I preferred when you were an evil Overlord that I looked up to.

This new, helpful you is a disappointment....could you not have just forced them into cooperation via threatening several thousand turbolasers on them?

:(
I like to keep the 'lesser mortals' guessing!!!... Don't want them getting too comfortable... I could always run over them in my wheelchair, though!!!!!...

Darth....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies