• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Corporation Tax

myksav

The German Green Party MEP's and the Christian Democrat MEP's, both members of the European People's Party along with Fine Gael, want to "harmonise" the corporatin tax levels/rates across Europe. Or more correctly want Ireland to increase our CT above a certain level (unspecified) because it's "not fair" and that "Ireland has the lowest CT rate in Europe (EU)". There are two other EU countries with lower CT than Ireland, Bulgaria and Cyprus at 10% CT each.

According to the Green Party MEP on Newstalk, they have been talking with Fine Gael about the raising of Irish CT rates in line wth EU rates and have not been getting negative responses from the FG MEP's.

This gives the impression that Fine Gael are interested in raising our CT rates as well.
How is that going to effect their gaining votes in an election?

Edit. Correction.
It was the Christian Democrat MEP who was speaking on Newstalk.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/202/tuesday/1/popup
Part two, 23 minutes into that segment.

Last edited:

baldur0300

Oh if that became a proper story it would cause quite some damage to Fine Gael I'd imagine. The 12.5% CT rate has almost become a biblical truth and even considering changing it is deemed heresy. The notion that Europe will change our CT rate is one of the best weapons of the anti-EU crowd come referendum time. If it did become the case that FGs position was less than absolutist, it would lose them votes.

Last edited:

punchdrunk

The German Green Party MEP's and the Christian Democrat MEP's, both members of the European People's Party along with Fine Gael, want to "harmonise" the corporatin tax levels/rates across Europe. Or more correctly want Ireland to increase our CT above a certain level (unspecified) because it's "not fair" and that "Ireland has the lowest CT rate in Europe (EU)". There are two other EU countries with lower CT than Ireland, Bulgaria and Cyprus at 10% CT each.

According to the Green Party MEP on Newstalk, they have been talking with Fine Gael about the raising of Irish CT rates in line wth EU rates and have not been getting negative responses from the FG MEP's.

This gives the impression that Fine Gael are interested in raising our CT rates as well.
Rubbish. FG is implacably opposed to raising the 12.5% Corporation Profits Tax. Remember it was a decision of the Rainbow Coalition of FG and Labour to introduce the rate. Richard Bruton and Michael Noonan in recent months have warned that under no circumstances must Ireland give up this low rate of tax.
However German politicians of ALL parties and German newespapers have become more shrill in their demands that if Ireland gets a bail out it must yield on this tax rate. Ireland can veto the proposal. So all hot air. Now if Ireland has to go cap in hand thanks to FF the blackmail attemps will intensify.

Last edited:

Libero

myksav said:
A German Green MEP? Which one?
To who did he/she talk among FG MEPs?
Has the Green MEP any proof of receiving a "not negative" response?

This thread has a smell off it.

southwestkerry

Not likely that it well be put up by any one here not unless some one has a major breakdown off a mental kind.

myksav

But dammit, I'm trying to find reasons to vote FG and every time they come close, stuff like that crops up.

Though what the German GP MEP said was enough to make one very wary, he kept saying "things have changed since the CT guarantees were given on Lisbon". Not for the first time either.

punchdrunk

A German Green MEP? Which one?
To who did he/she talk among FG MEPs?
Has the Green MEP any proof of receiving a "not negative" response?

This thread has a smell off it.
This is a FF smear effort. Give them something to deny. Nixon was a strong believer in this.
I defy anybody to produce ACTUAL evidence that FG wants to raise the rate. It doesn't exist. FG would not join any government that would raise the rate.

punchdrunk

But dammit, I'm trying to find reasons to vote FG and every time they come close, stuff like that crops up.

Though what the German GP MEP said was enough to make one very wary, he kept saying "things have changed since the CT guarantees were given on Lisbon". Not for the first time either.
Pity an FF hack like you didnt work with Nixon. He could learn a thing or two from you.

baldur0300

This is a FF smear effort. Give them something to deny. Nixon was a strong believer in this.
I defy anybody to produce ACTUAL evidence that FG wants to raise the rate. It doesn't exist. FG would not join any government that would raise the rate.
myksav the noted FFer that he is ......... :rolleyes:

Libero

I didn't hear the Newstalk interview. Can you give us the time and the name of the show so we can listen back?

Can you even just give us the answers to my questions in my last post?

Since you were listening, and you say this is serious enough to affect your vote, you must have those answers, right?

Cassandra Syndrome

If you want to be a Eurotron, then accept the will of Brussels. You cannot have monetary union without political and fiscal union and complete sovereignty integration.

So if you love the Euro, well don't be whinging about tax harmonisation. Its a case of 2 sides and which one you are on.

ibis

I was interested in that story, I have to say, because a call by two MEPs for something is not normally of interest to anyone outside referendum time, whatever it may be about (even the Great Sacred Cow of Corporation Tax). Neither of the MEPs are speaking for their parties in any way - not even their domestic political parties, never mind their EP groupings - and the linking of them to the EPP "of which Fine Gael is a member" seemed to be really the only point of the story.

myksav

Pity an FF hack like you didnt work with Nixon. He could learn a thing or two from you.
ROTFLMAO. :D

Jays, the number of times I've been accused of being a FF hack, I really should go and actually BECOME a FF supporter! :lol::roll: Sher, wouldn't I be stinking rich now if I was a FF hack.

PD, my Party affiliation is clearly shown with my Avatar.

punchdrunk

I didn't hear the Newstalk interview. Can you give us the time and the name of the show so we can listen back?

Since you were listening, and you say this is serious enough to affect your vote, you must have those answers, right?
Read this article:
Stop Brussels fixing our corporate tax rate; Businesses and politicians hit out at EU interference | Daily Mail (London, England), The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
In the article note the following in reference to the rate.
"Michael Noonan, Fine Gael finance spokesman, said his party in government would hold the line. He added that, given growing unemployment, our rate was all the more necessary to win future inward investment that would lead to job creation.

And he claimed that it was absolutely crucial that the tax be retained. 'I'm slightly surprised the issue is being put out there, and almost as something which is inevitable,' he warned.

IBEC said that it was resolutely opposed to the Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base throughout the EU....."

HarshBuzz

If you want to be a Eurotron, then accept the will of Brussels. You cannot have monetary union without political and fiscal union and complete sovereignty integration.

So if you love the Euro, well don't be whinging about tax harmonisation. Its a case of 2 sides and which one you are on.
they don't have tax harmonisation in the good ol' US of A though

just ask the good folks of Delaware!

myksav

Link and time-hack in OP now. Including correction, twas a CD MEP.

edit.
It hasn't effected how I will vote in an election, I haven't made any such decision yet. Highest likelyhood so far is straight Independents, no Party votes.

baldur0300

ROTFLMAO. :D

Jays, the number of times I've been accused of being a FF hack, I really should go and actually BECOME a FF supporter! :lol::roll:
I could always sign up you ;)

Sher, wouldn't I be stinking rich now if I was a FF hack.
Oh christ I wish!! Has only ever cost me money.

HarshBuzz

Link and time-hack in OP now. Including correction, twas a CD MEP.
ah bashing the ways of profligate PIIGGIES

guaranteed to be a vote-getter with Hans and Bertha!

this means feck all

anewbeginning

When oh when will people start asking in all seriousness if its time to leave the EU?

The corporation tax is not really up for discussion and the German Greens can take a long walk off a short pier.

Seems like it's not only the Irish Greens who are economically illiterate.

needle_too

Right.
As far as I can make out some German said something about Corporation Tax and someone else on the radio said it was in danger of rising and then..... Fine Gael are involved somehow.

Is that it?

Its a p!ss poor attempt to smear FG, if it is.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies