• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer: Tribune

kerrynorth

The article title is stark but the content is not what I or any other reasonable person would glean from it. The 'corruption' they are referring to is in regard to the roll nepotism and 'pull' plays in getting promotion and transfers within the Gardai.
Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer

Last edited:

topcat4

Read it this morning, bit of a non story, is anyone surprised.

hammer

It use to be that every promotion over the rank of inspector was a Government appointment. The Government would "ensure" that certain names were added to the promotion list and low & behold that person was promoted.

FF are a shower of gimps.

Capt Blah

Website
www.mehearty.blogspot.com
To be honest, nothing would surprise me when it comes to the gardai.

They must be one of the least effective police forces on Earth, and the news that talent and ability are not important factors in obtaining promotion will come as no surprise to anyone who has witnessed their cack-handed and slovenly responses to serious crime.

Ireland has truly reached the "every man for himself" stage. If in serious peril I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for help from the gardai.

Useless waste of tax-payers' money, the lot of them.

Last edited:

They must be one of the least effective police forces on Earth, and the news that talent and ability are not important factors in obtaining promotion will come as no surprise to anyone who has witnessed their cack-handed and slovenly responses to serious crime.

Ireland has truly reached the "every man for himself" stage. If in serious peril I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for help from the gardai.

Ah come on now. They are not useless. They are understaffed and morale is very low as is evidenced by the statement made by GRA President O'Boyce. They need our support, and our input. I mean, who do you call if you are being attacked or robbed? Granted, the response time is not great but thats because of FF as usual, they fecked up everything.

FortyCoats

The best way to get promoted in AGS is to join the Free Masons.

spidermom

The article title is stark but the content is not what I or any other reasonable person would glean from it. The 'corruption' they are referring to is in regard to the roll nepotism and 'pull' plays in getting promotion and transfers within the Gardai.
Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer

thanks for that KN..haven't had the chance to read through the papers....BUT in a way why should the gardai be any different than (it seems) to me any other aspect of Irish life...look at the "elite" few that occupy state boards and institutions...the chap who went from FAS to CIE..(with a little cheque in the pocket)...and he is but one example....Remember the Old Irish saying...its not what you know..its who you know...

The hospital I trained in was reowned for it...when I started I cannot remember HOW many said to me."who are you related to?"...and I replied...."I was the mistake..."

Fing Fers

This is the truth and I am a witness to it.

I had an item stolen from me last year, I notified the Garda and the details of the stolen item were added to the "pulse system". About 11 months later I found the item for sale on the internet and contacted the seller under the impression of a potential buyer. The seller still had my stolen item and I arranged to meet the seller at his location.

With all this info I went to the Garda and informed them of the situation. I talked to the Garda in my local station and they put me onto another station closer to the seller, that closer station put me onto another closer station. The member of the Garda suggested I contact him when I am on route to meet the seller, I had to do it before a certain time and it had to be before dark. I then asked will I be able to take the possession home after we met the seller, I was willing to bring all evidence required, it went down hill from there and I didnt like how it was sounding as I may not even receive the item back at all.

I had to do it my self and I am glad I did. After I met up with the seller I informed him the item he was selling was stolen and it belonged to me. The both of us then went to were it was bought first and twisted some arms, the seller was refunded by the thief's and the thief payed me for the damage during the time the item was out of my possession.

Another thing to mention, a friend of mine had a musical instrument stolen, again found it advertised for sale on the internet, contacted the seller only to find out the seller bought it at a Garda auction. The item was on the system.

All they are good for is dishing out minor fines to the average Joe Soap.

Capt Blah

Website
Ah come on now. They are not useless. They are understaffed and morale is very low as is evidenced by the statement made by GRA President O'Boyce. They need our support, and our input. I mean, who do you call if you are being attacked or robbed? Granted, the response time is not great but thats because of FF as usual, they fecked up everything.
Are you completely nuts?

Understaffed?

There are thousands of the useless feckers and they perform no function AT ALL beyond serving as a private security company for Fianna Fail.

I heard a chap on the radio during the week who dialled 999 when a drugged man stood on the bonnet of his car, kicking at the windscreen and pulling off the wipers. The driver was terrified and called the gards. Their response was to ask him to drive to Pearse Street station!!

Useless.

This happened on Aston Quay in Dublin, two minutes from the Garda Station on O'Connell Street and 30 seconds from Temple Bar, where there are permanently two gards on duty.

And recall the recent petrol-bombing of the Department of Finance -- considering that there is a police station (secret) on that street, tasked with the protection of the buildings and officials, it is difficult to see how someone managed to throw the bomb and escape without being apprehended. I bet the gormless garda were around in the Centra on Baggot Street getting ham rolls and begging for free coffee. Pathetic.

In recent months I have heard quite a few people say that we should begin to deploy the army on our streets as there is currently no protection for the public.

FortyCoats

This guy's career is going nowhere.

Pat Mc Larnon

There is the age old problem of many Gardai tied up in office and administrative duties. That is not their job, their job is on the streets. A complete overhaul is needed in that regard.

Last edited:

blinding

When the people at the top (running the country) are a corrupt bunch of criminals what can you expect from every other institution in the country.

The corrupt shower running (that should be robbing) the country have to be stood up against a wall and shot.

When corruption runs this deep in a country fine words will not cleanse it.

A sizable number of Fianna Fáil gangsters and there Banker and Developer Associates must be executed.

There is no alternative that will work.

Its dirty work but as Michael Collins clearly saw sometimes a dirty job has to be taken on and completed.

Prester Jim

There is no aspect of Irish public lfe that is not corrupt in the same way.
The civil service entrance process is the only poin uninfluenced after that it is all corrupt clientalism.As a teacher I can honestly say that at least 80% of the interviews I have attended have been for non-jobs as some connected person or son or daughter of a local FFer or FGer has already gotten the job.
How can I be so sure?
I have excellent academic qualifications and my references and experience are impeccable for a start.
I have applied for a couple of hundred jobs but only got replies from about 10%.
My CV goes in the bin the vast majority of the time as they don't want a record of a superior candidate to the one they selected.
The 6 interviews i attended over the summer-september, 4 were fake (obvious from attitude of interviewers and I was told in 3 cases that the job was gone (by non interested insiders and by the actual succesful applicant once).
I also know 4 cases where I have been told by fellow students of the jobs waiting for them. 2 had miserable results and teaching skills but went into permanent job on graduation.

In short, the PS system needs to be overhauled to the degree that it would be in Nigeria, we are a banana republic and the people who benefit from it have no shame about it and feel it is something they don't have to hide.
One senior teacher (sister of a prominent minister) sneers and brags about her connections and is well known to fel she is untouchable despite being a lazy inadequate teacher. She is probably right.
This is of no benefit to society at large and is in fact a huge drag on morale and the success of the country as a whole.
How can we do well when those we put in charge are often the most inept and lead for their own satisfaction.

Capt Blah

Website
...they have a good record, by international standardss for response, detection and successful prosecution. Perhaps someone can dish out the facts, just the facts.
Regrettably we do not have the facts.

You see, the "record" you speak of only reflects reported crime. One of the ways the gardai maintain a decent record is by...er...not recording many of the complaints they receive. Another is by persuading a criminal (a burglar, say) to admit to a number of burglaries he did not commit, along with those they did - typically this would be in exchange for some small consideration, for example they might agree not to prosecute for narcotics they found in his possession. This "solves" a number of outstanding cases in one go.

Also, many many people have given up reporting crimes to the gards, as they have utterly lost faith in them, or have suffered some form of garda abuse. Large numbers of people consider the gards to be the enemy rather than a public service - and I'm not just speaking of criminals here. I mean, could you imagine a member of the Shell To Sea campaign reporting an assault to their local gardai, when those very same gards have recently offered violence in response to the non-violent protests of that group?

Last edited:

alan1122

Go to the car pound in Tallaght, 4 middle aged guards,(high scale wages), sitting there all day taking cash( cash only) to release cars. One does the car park, one writes receipts, and one takes the cash, not sure if the 4th is a standby but could'nt work out what he does.

How much does this cost per year ??. Why can civvies not carry out this operation, and multiply this by the amount of carpounds in the country.

essexboy

they are not understaffed, just badly managed, poorly organised and full of restrictive practices with a lot of dead wood - a fairly typical public sector organisation!

Police numbers
Ireland: 2.8989 per 1,000 people
United Kingdom: 2.04871 per 1,000 people
Denmark 1.91716 per 1,000 people

Mossy Heneberry

Report into detection rates in Waterford delayed
A long-awaited report on an internal Garda investigation into crime detection rates in the Waterford Garda Division has still not been completed, months after the initial allegations were made.

The investigation was launched after it was claimed that some figures compiled in the Waterford Division were not accurate and that some recorded crimes were reported to have been detected, even though nobody had been charged with the offences.
RTÉ News: Report into detection rates in Waterford delayed

I wonder if this was ever completed

Capt Blah

Website
...Gardai tied up in office and administrative duties. That is not their job, their job is on the streets.
I take your point about the waste of manpower, but I see little benefit in releasing a large number of work-shy, poorly trained time-servers onto the streets.

I recall a visit to Ottawa some time ago - in the course of two weeks I saw one police car and one police-officer. And Ottawa is the Capital city. However, there was virtually no crime and the streets were very safe. Yet in Dublin I see gardai everywhere I go, along with large numbers of drug-users, shop-lifters, aggressive pan-handlers and general "scumbags". In most European cities (and many North American cities) you just don't see so many threatening and dangerous people - because they are in prison.

In Ireland we tend to treat criminals as victims - until we stop doing this we will have a huge problem with criminality. And the relatively large numbers of gardai seem utterly unable to tackle the problem.

I honestly think we may see more and more vigilante activity if things continue to go so badly down the drain.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies