Cosgrave's best wishes to Mussolini after Irishwoman's attempted assassination 1926

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Came across this little anecdote about WT Cosgrave and Dublin born woman Violet Gibson who fired a shot at Mussolini in Rome but did little damage beyond him needing a bandaged nose for a few days. For Cosgrave, it was particularly important that he send his best wishes as it was an Irish person who made the attempt on his life. Cosgrave wrote " On behalf of the Government of the Irish Free State, I have the honour to congratulate Your Excellency, and the Italian people, on the providential escape of Your Excellency from the odious attempt on your person. Sincerely hoping that the wound is not serious, I send you my most earnest wishes for your speedy recover. The infamous attempt has caused much indignation here."

Violet Gibson who fired the shot instead of being a firey communist hit-woman you might expect was the daughter of Edward Gibson, the 1st Baron of Ashbourne. Her father had served as Lord Chancellor of Ireland, and she was raised in a comfortable house in Dublin. She appears to have had psychological problems as she had tried to kill herself in a convent in Rome a year before shooting Mussolini, claiming that “I tried to die for the glory of God.” Released later by the Italian authorities on compassionate grounds, she spent the rest of her life in St Andrew’s Hospital in Northampton for the mentally ill dying on 2 May 1956, at the age of 79.

https://comeheretome.com/2016/04/05/ninety-years-ago-this-week-a-dubliner-tried-to-kill-benito-mussolini/

Odyessus

Came across this little anecdote about WT Cosgrave and Dublin born woman Violet Gibson who fired a shot at Mussolini in Rome but did little damage beyond him needing a bandaged nose for a few days. For Cosgrave, it was particularly important that he send his best wishes as it was an Irish person who made the attempt on his life. Cosgrave wrote " On behalf of the Government of the Irish Free State, I have the honour to congratulate Your Excellency, and the Italian people, on the providential escape of Your Excellency from the odious attempt on your person. Sincerely hoping that the wound is not serious, I send you my most earnest wishes for your speedy recover. The infamous attempt has caused much indignation here."

Violet Gibson who fired the shot instead of being a firey communist hit-woman you might expect was the daughter of Edward Gibson, the 1st Baron of Ashbourne. Her father had served as Lord Chancellor of Ireland, and she was raised in a comfortable house in Dublin. She appears to have had psychological problems as she had tried to kill herself in a convent in Rome a year before shooting Mussolini, claiming that “I tried to die for the glory of God.” Released later by the Italian authorities on compassionate grounds, she spent the rest of her life in St Andrew’s Hospital in Northampton for the mentally ill dying on 2 May 1956, at the age of 79.

https://comeheretome.com/2016/04/05/ninety-years-ago-this-week-a-dubliner-tried-to-kill-benito-mussolini/

So what's your point?

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
We can only be thankful she didn't succeed. Mussolini's ambition, conceit and inept meddling went a long way towards stymieing Hitler's ambitions. He was a millstone around Hitler's neck.

Last edited:

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com

former wesleyan

A fan of all things Italian:-

" My colleagues and myself desire to repose at the feet of Your Holiness…..the assurance of our filial loyalty and of our devotion to your August Person, as well as our firm resolve
to be guided in all our work by the teaching of Christ…."

Drogheda445

In the 20s Mussolini still had a number of admirers among the Western political class. Even such a figure as Churchill famously said at the time if he had been an Italian he would have "donned the black shirt". His violent opposition to communism and trade unionism in Italy certainly won him many fans.

Only later with the war in Abyssinia, the fascists in Spain and of course his alliance with Hitler did he come to be widely seen as the egotistical thug that he really was.

SuirView

So what's your point?
It's just deflection.
Poor "P O'Neill" has claimed that poor SF will soon win 75+ seats! He now is running away from it, running away from threads and most importantly, running away from the truth!
That's the real point.

ergo2

Mussolini embarked on some Balkan adventure just as Hitler was preparing to invade Russia. That invasion was postponed for some weeks while the Germans delayed to help out the Italians.

Considering the Germans and their allied got to within sight of Moscow, those few weeks may have made all the difference.

If the Germans had got hold of the oilfields WW2 might have had a very different result

So we shoul

Fritzbox

Was she forced to drink a jar of castor oil as punishment?

SuirView

Don't fall for poor "P O'Neill" attempts to deflect.

automaticforthepeople

What is often conveniently forgotten is that Mussolini was the darling of world politics in the 1920's. Italy had been a key ally of the allies in WW1 and was firmly in the bulwark against Communism. Mussolini was particularly regarded by secularists as he had concluded the Lateran Treaty to limit the papal powers in Italy.
When he overran Ethiopia he got a mild slap of the wrist from the League of Nations with oil being specifically removed from the list of sanctionable goods. The sneaking regarders for Mussolini included the British and the French over Abyssinia.

Lets never of course forget that later in the 1930's that Irish fascists like Séan Russell had a special place in their thoughts for Benito

Dame_Enda

Mussolini is widely seen by Italians as the man who made the trains run on time, and many believe he was a dupe of Hitler, rather than a fullthroated supporter of Nazi policies. In the documentary "Fascists in Colour", it mentioned the story of a Jew who had been a member of the Fascist Party until the Race laws forced him out. Antisemitism was very much a Nazi import, influenced by the alliance with Germany. Italian Jews were allowed to be members of the party before the Race Laws. The Foreign Minister Count Ciano privately said 'If Britain wins we lose. But if Germany wins we are lost', I think.

Karloff

We can only be thankful she didn't succeed. Mussolini's ambition, conceit and inept meddling went a long way towards stymieing Hitler's ambitions. He was a load around Hitler's neck.
Are you pro fascist?

What a bizarre statement.

Odyessus

"Came across this little anecdote about WT Cosgrave and Dublin born woman Violet Gibson who fired a shot at Mussolini"

anecdote - a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdote
"Anecdote" is from the Greek ανέκδοτα (anekdota) "things unpublished". Your story is from a published news report.

However, that's not the point. The point is, I thought the procedure on the board was when making a reference to such a report to offer a comment or opinion on it.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
"Anecdote" is from the Greek ανέκδοτα (anekdota) "things unpublished". Your story is from a published news report.

However, that's not the point. The point is, I thought the procedure on the board was when making a reference to such a report to offer a comment or opinion on it.
According to Merriam-Webster "anecdote - a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident." Simples :)

ruman

This is another example of the standards of modern society being projected onto historic events which seems to be a daily occurrence these days.

No doubt people will look back appalled at all our actions in 50 years lets hope they are more forgiving.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
That assassination attempt was a bit weird ... not all it would seem on the surface.

Here's a bit about the perpetrator ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Gibson

I have Italian friends, who although they vote communist, still say Mussolini was the best leader they ever had for looking after the Italian people ... Just saying like.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

That assassination attempt was a bit weird ... not all it would seem on the surface.

Here's a bit about the perpetrator ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Gibson

I have Italian friends, who although they vote communist, still say Mussolini was the best leader they ever had for looking after the Italian people ... Just saying like.
Your friends would have to be in their mid 80's to know.

Analyzer

When I read the OP title first, I thought - 'if something controversial happened that far back, then it must be the Irish Independent in virtue signalling mode, breaking a news story.....whilst igniring the stinking mess today....and then it hit me....the Irish Independendent are pro Blueshirt and pro Corporatist....therefore it could not be them....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies