• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Cost of doing business set to drop by €200m

Marcos the black

I know all you lads love good news stories so I was surprised not to see a thread on this:

Bruton's axe set to fall on red tape and save €200m - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

"The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation estimates that the cost of doing business has fallen by €200m through savings introduced following the streamlining of companies office and health and safety regulations. The rationalisation of State employment agencies will also bring "significant" savings.

State agency Forfas was osmosed back into the department last year and has been examining how to cut the redtape burden, especially with regard to the plethora of licences needed by shops."

Surely this is good news for businesses, and therefore employment prospects in the new year. Costs go down, potential to create employment goes up.

"Start-up companies will save €6m from these new measures, although the savings will be felt across the broader business community".

While not a "silver bullet" solution (not that such a thing exists) but another step on the way.
As Tesco so often tell us "every little helps"...

Mr. Bumble

I know all you lads love good news stories so I was surprised not to see a thread on this:

Bruton's axe set to fall on red tape and save €200m - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

"The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation estimates that the cost of doing business has fallen by €200m through savings introduced following the streamlining of companies office and health and safety regulations. The rationalisation of State employment agencies will also bring "significant" savings.

State agency Forfas was osmosed back into the department last year and has been examining how to cut the redtape burden, especially with regard to the plethora of licences needed by shops."

Surely this is good news for businesses, and therefore employment prospects in the new year. Costs go down, potential to create employment goes up.

"Start-up companies will save €6m from these new measures, although the savings will be felt across the broader business community".

While not a "silver bullet" solution (not that such a thing exists) but another step on the way.
Streamlining Health and Safety regulations. Hmmm. What regulations I wonder? What was the rationale? Cui bono?

Mr. Bumble

To everyone's benefit, in the long term?
Most likely, unless this streamlining led to injury or death.. It would be interesting to see which regulations were streamlined and why.

Marcos the black

Most likely, unless this streamlining led to injury or death.. It would be interesting to see which regulations were streamlined and why.
Streamlining of delivery and inspection etc, not in the actual regulations themselves.

bob3367

Oh fck me, I must be doing something wrong because I cannot see any difference, ok CRO fine, but I have a friend there and he faster than any computer....

Patent registration up to €175 before anyone beta tests the idea, CEB's wrecking everybodies head....

??????????

H.R. Haldeman

There was a restauranteur on Liveline today and the litany of authority costs and regulatory fees and licences she listed was mind boggling. Thousands and thousands of Euro a year on everything from overseeing fat disposal to extra charges for having seats outside. Mad, mad, mad, mad stuff.

If Bruton can pull this off - the article says 33% savings for business - that would be a great start. I'd say it should be 50%, but at least 1/3 would be meaningful.

Politician comes up with number and everybody goes great we are getting rid of red tape.

Ask a business owner and how many times have they seen it before.

Ask politician to prove the number he came up with and in 1 years time to prove among 100 businesses that they have saved the money.

Think the answer to that will be no chance.

Mr. Bumble

Marcos the black

Does that mean less inspections?
Not necessarily. Effective time management could for example increase the number of inspections per day, per inspector by up to 25%· Ask any successful field sales rep how important time management and route planning is to hitting their targets.

Mr. Bumble

Not necessarily. Effective time management could for example increase the number of inspections per day, per inspector by up to 25%· Ask any successful field sales rep how important time management and route planning is to hitting their targets.
How do we know that effective time management isn't already being employed by various H&S inspectors? Indeed, effective time management could indeed increase inspections per day. However, is there any info on exactly how this H&S delivery streamlining is going to impact on quality and standards if the regulations themselves remain unchanged?

Marcos the black

Politician comes up with number and everybody goes great we are getting rid of red tape.

Ask a business owner and how many times have they seen it before.

Ask politician to prove the number he came up with and in 1 years time to prove among 100 businesses that they have saved the money.

Think the answer to that will be no chance.
May as well leave it as it is so. No point in even trying.

Marcos the black

How do we know that effective time management isn't already being employed by various H&S inspectors? Indeed, effective time management could indeed increase inspections per day. However, is there any info on exactly how this H&S delivery streamlining is going to impact on quality and standards if the regulations themselves remain unchanged?
I don't have any figures on H & S inspectors productivity, but maybe someone else can provide. It was just an example of one area that could deliver efficiencies. To me the word "streamlining" means increasing efficiencies, not implementing cutbacks.

bob3367

When you are waiting for a first inspection....

Mr. Bumble

I don't have any figures on H & S inspectors productivity, but maybe someone else can provide. It was just an example of one area that could deliver efficiencies. To me the word "streamlining" means increasing efficiencies, not implementing cutbacks.
I agree that's what streamlining means, but a cynic might interpret it as compromising H&S to lower costs for business. TBF, I doubt if any proper H&S legislation or inspection will be undermined but I'd still be interested to see what changes are made.

Grey Area

BUSINESS minister Richard Bruton is planning

You left that bit out.

Anything that can be done to reduce the cost of doing business here should be done and should be welcomed. This seems like Gov. spin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies