• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Coughlan's 'diplomacy':Massive Dell Screw-up.

Marlowe

Richard Waghorne,writing in the Irish Daily Mail sat 25.4.09 writes about the ''ill-fated trip she made with Willie O'Dea to visit the Dell headquarters in Texas in a last ditch effort to avert job losses in Limerick.''

According to Waghorne,the meeting with Michael Dell was an utter disaster.

Aside from the fact that ''the Dell founder was incensed at her insinuation that Dell would suffer negative publicity in Ireland if it pulled out'',Coughlan surely put the final nail in the coffin when:

Quote: ''the Tanaiste let rip with a stream of the colourful language for which she is notorious inside govt buildings,eliciting a particularly infuriated reaction from one of Michael Dell's deputies,an ordained minister.''

So this is the Trade minister the Dell workers in Limerick were depending on.

This is how you negotiate with the multinationals.

Another symptom of why as a nation we are totally screwed when the likes of Coughlan is the best that this parody of a govt can muster.

Pauli

I am surprised that you expect anything else. Like many in the Cabinet, Coughlan is occupying a position at least 6 levels above her competence capacity.

wretchedwilbur

What goes down a treat in the Dail doesn't with Dell ! Boom ! Boom !

jmcc

It makes it sound like Coughlan is the possessor of a room temperature IQ trying to play in the real world of business.

Regards...jmcc

drbob1972

Aside from the fact that ''the Dell founder was incensed at her insinuation that Dell would suffer negative publicity in Ireland if it pulled out'',Coughlan surely put the final nail in the coffin when:
whilst its a pretty stupid thing to say to the CEO of a company that will still (for a while anyway) employ approx 2000 ppl in Ireland, its also pretty oblivious that it would indeed have an adverse impact with some consumers (though not for corporate purchasers), however Dell's biggest problem (as it pertains to consumer sales) is that the product is medicore at best, and no longer has a price advantage compared to HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc.....

jpc

And I though the emergency skit on her couldn't have been made nastier.
Amazing mouth malfunction .

C

caveman

are you saying that Coughlan "goes down" in the Dail and it is a treat?

droghedasouth

It makes it sound like Coughlan is the possessor of a room temperature IQ trying to play in the real world of business.

Regards...jmcc
Fahrenheit or Celsius?

wretchedwilbur

I am surprised that you expect anything else. Like many in the Cabinet, Coughlan is occupying a position at least 6 levels above her competence capacity.
"Like many" - I'm thinking Meath man here - bold schoolboy expression who breaks into Nobber bog-dialect every ten words to show he's still a man of the people ?

flavirostris

Was that Mary Coughlan in the Athlone video?
"all the way up me gowl".. maybe thats what she said to Michael Dell - "you can shove your jobs up me gowl"

Seánod

My problem with the flight out to Dell was the price of it. No matter what language was used, either coarse or elaborately fancy, Dell's departure was a capitalist economic decision that was never going to be overturned. It's a bit like a pile of boys gathering around the referee after he gives the penalty... never in my life have I ever seen one of them say 'well, ok, sorry boys'. And that's when no money is at stake.

Schuhart

Quote: ''the Tanaiste let rip with a stream of the colourful language for which she is notorious inside govt buildings,eliciting a particularly infuriated reaction from one of Michael Dell's deputies,an ordained minister.''
Apparently Dell Director William H. Gray is a Baptist Minister, so there might be some basis for this story.

OK, she is unquestionably a gob********************e.

But where the political node around which opposition can congregate?

cactusflower

She was criticised for making a reference to her "fat arse" in her speech at an official function in the Middle East.

Personally, I think I don't see why we should make any concessions to other peoples cultures when we go abroad...

an asal

What do you expect When her leader Biffo the Booz uses the F Word in the Dail-Monkeys always copy each other. The stupid woman had an eudcation at Dublin University-You can train a monkey - decorum belongs to decent people.

SPN

The OP forgot to put a warning on this thread.

This is Waghorne we are talking about.

Nobody takes him seriously.

Popular Threads

Most Replies