• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Could Andrea Leadsom become next British Primeminister?

sport02

The odds overnight are surging for Andrea Leadsom to become the next Tory leader and British PM.
She campaigned for the leave side and was very vocal and present during the referendum campaign while the favourite for the job Theresa May a remain supporter hid away.

Also the early favourite many times does not always win, David Davis and Michael Portillo spring to mind.

As of now on Betfair the chances of each candidate winning.
Theresa May 65%
Andrea Leadsom 28%
Michael Gove 4%
Stephen Crabb 2%
Liam Fox 1%

'She doesn't believe in leaving the EU' Andrea Leadsom takes swipe at Theresa May | Politics | News | Daily Express

Andrea Leadsom is surging past Michael Gove in the battle to take on Theresa May | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

willow68

Come back Boris. All is forgiven...

Leadsom makes Gove look like a great choice for PM. And he is loathsome.

Sister Mercedes

The Leavers opened the Pandora's Box, and they're the ones who need to take ownership of dealing with the consequences. Otherwise they'll be cribbing and moaning from the sidelines that the deal negotiated with the EU is too soft.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
The odds overnight are surging for Andrea Leadsom to become the next Tory leader and British PM.
Basic problem: it's all so far a negative "Anyone but X" expression.

Next problem: it's a knock-out, which of the present five is most against individual MPs' leanings? I'd venture that Liam Fox qualifies as prime target for a kicking.

All candidates come with baggage. Fox's is his "close friend" Adam Werrity (and the cause of Fox's October 2011 downfall). Gove has Dominic Cummings: short of temper, grossly over-estimated by his own self-admiration, loathsome in the extreme. Leadsom's past apologetics for bankers may come back to haunt her, as should her dubious tax-avoidances, and the financial support (albeit fiddled through an intermediary) from her off-shore family connections. All the five are on record for being unfriendly towards non-heterosexuals (which is odd in at least one case): I do so hope, by the way, someone will ask Crabbe the basis of his "gay-cure". Theresa May comes out cleanest in any mud-wrestling — and has the best ministerial record, by far.

Finally: the Tory parliamentary party winnow the nominees to a short-list of just two, which then goes to the association members (all 150,000 maximum — and that's being generous). So more gaming of the next phase. Round about this point, we'd have to ask if the Tufton-Buftons of the backwoods can cope with an all-woman list being presented to them.

bustedshaun

The media are fully on board with May,mainly because they know she's a backdoor gal ready to be cuckolded.High heels and all.

Clanrickard

Clanrickard

One of the few Tories with real world experience. At first glance she'd make a good PM.

Dr Pat

Was impressed with Leadsom's calm demeanour and solid performance in the face of strong accusations and mudslinging from Remainders during the live debates on British tv prior to the referendum.

That said, she struck me as competent and trustworthy but not necessarily of prime ministerial calibre although I may be wrong. Boris for all his faults has the common touch. Gove came across as impressively celebral but rather cold and calculating - wouldn't be a fan, to be frank. Wouldn't trust May as she committed to Remain and remained aloof from the campaign which indicates political calculation rather than conviction.

ne0ica

Was impressed with Leadsom's calm demeanour and solid performance in the face of strong accusations and mudslinging from Remainders during the live debates on British tv prior to the referendum.

That said, she struck me as competent and trustworthy but not necessarily of prime ministerial calibre although I may be wrong. Boris for all his faults has the common touch. Gove came across as impressively celebral but rather cold and calculating - wouldn't be a fan, to be frank. Wouldn't trust May as she committed to Remain and remained aloof from the campaign which indicates political calculation rather than conviction.
Who would you want representing your country in negotiations. The 'nice guy' or the bastard.

Adam Battersby

In my opinion, Leadsom is the best of the candidates.

May was parrt of the Remain. Gove is a frontstabber.

Leadsom is a diehard eurosceptic who performed brilliantly for the Leave camp in two referendum TV debates. She should be the new PM.

ne0ica

In my opinion, Leadsom is the best of the candidates.

May was parrt of the Remain. Gove is a frontstabber.

Leadsom is a diehard eurosceptic who performed brilliantly for the Leave camp in two referendum TV debates. She should be the new PM.
Who do you want negotiating with Frau Merkel the nice lady who made nice speeches or the 'frontstabber'.

willow68

sport02

Beth Rigby Sky News
Leaver MP (was going BoJo) tells me he's now @andrealeadsom. Gove's "crazed ambition" & "duplicity" makes him no go

And another MP (May backer) tells me to expect @andrealeadsom & @TheresaMay2016 in final two. Says Gove now too toxic

Cellachán Chaisil

Cellachán Chaisil

Who do you want negotiating with Frau Merkel the nice lady who made nice speeches or the 'frontstabber'.
Dishonest brokers don't do well in negotiations.

Betson

She will make it to the last two but I don't think she has a chance of beating May , Johnson was really the only candidate leave side had of winning this one , thus the anger towards Gove. And she is a better choice than Gove anyway , don't know her but she has to be more appealing than the repellent Gove.

Feckkit

Milton Jones (comic on Mock The Week) said that the Leave side had missed a trick by not calling the other side 'Remainians' :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies