Could Bloomberg Pull off a 3rd Force Win in 2012?

LeDroit

wombat

liamfoley

Not a hope, third party candidates are spoilers, e.g. Perot, Nadir. He would hand the election from whoever has the furthest talking points to his.

Tea Party Patriot

Not a hope, third party candidates are spoilers, e.g. Perot, Nadir. He would hand the election from whoever has the furthest talking points to his.
Agreed. Nadir was certainly a huge factor in Al Gore not winning. The 3% vote he took defiantly made the difference. I don't think Perot has as big an influence as I think those who voted for him could have went either direction.

While there is no questioning that Bloomburg has the money to do this, it doesn't necessarily work either. Just look at Meg Whitman in California, $140m and she still couldn't win, with her spending actually eventually becoming a stick she was beaten with.

The only way Bloomburg could do it is if he went for the Republican Party nomination, in which case I don't think he would have a hope, but I could be wrong.

ne0ica

No. He passed in 2008. Bloomberg is too smart too run. As Meg Whitman shows you can't spend your way to winning an election. Bloomberg would make a great President.

liamfoley

Agreed. Nadir was certainly a huge factor in Al Gore not winning. The 3% vote he took defiantly made the difference. I don't think Perot has as big an influence as I think those who voted for him could have went either direction.

While there is no questioning that Bloomburg has the money to do this, it doesn't necessarily work either. Just look at Meg Whitman in California, $140m and she still couldn't win, with her spending actually eventually becoming a stick she was beaten with.

The only way Bloomburg could do it is if he went for the Republican Party nomination, in which case I don't think he would have a hope, but I could be wrong.
With some of these billionaires it's a matter of vanity, what else will they spend their money on, another house? Better to see their name on the ballot paper in every state for the most powerful position in the world. I agree that personal money is no guarantee. As for Perot in 1992 that was an Old West style grudge, i.e. personal animus between a real Texican and a Yankee carpetbagger.

New Threads

Most Replies