Could Bulgaria be the first country to leave the EU?

miha

i dont't know if you have read, but Romanian economy, has now the biggest increase in the EU.
Do you remeber how Ireland was decades ago, and people were emigrating for a better life? Ireland was better because of the money from the EU, there is no agriculture, no industry.
or have you read the latest reports showing the number of peoples who have left the country for Australia, New Zeeland or Canada.
before saying anything you shloud go to visit Romania.
every country has his own problems, but also good parts.
So grow up please

The Earl of Desmond

miha said:
i dont't know if you have read, but Romanian economy, has now the biggest increase in the EU.
Do you remeber how Ireland was decades ago, and people were emigrating for a better life? Ireland was better because of the money from the EU, there is no agriculture, no industry.
or have you read the latest reports showing the number of peoples who have left the country for Australia, New Zeeland or Canada.
So grow up please
Ireland was never as far behind the rest of the EU as Romania and Bulgaria are. It's not just things like endemic corruption - while Ireland has corruption issues surprisingly it seems we enver misspent any of the money we got from the EU - but also vastly backward social attitudes.

Even i nthe darkest days of 1950s Ireland women were still light years ahead of how women in Romania or Bulgaria are treated. There were no innocent/naive Irish people trafficed into the sex industry by people they knew like there is in Romania and Bulgaria and as for how far behind both countries are in terms of infastructure - my God where do you begin and then there are the social attitudes to people with any form of handicap - what sort of people treat other human beings the way orphans are treated in Romania and Bulgaria?

Trampas

Decision time for opening our labour market to Romania and Bulgaria is now approaching. I wonder whether Cowen will do the macho act again, as he did for the 2004 enlargement. I suspect not.

ibis

The Earl of Desmond said:
miha said:
So grow up please
Ireland was never as far behind the rest of the EU as Romania and Bulgaria are. It's not just things like endemic corruption - while Ireland has corruption issues surprisingly it seems we enver misspent any of the money we got from the EU - but also vastly backward social attitudes.

Even i nthe darkest days of 1950s Ireland women were still light years ahead of how women in Romania or Bulgaria are treated. There were no innocent/naive Irish people trafficed into the sex industry by people they knew like there is in Romania and Bulgaria and as for how far behind both countries are in terms of infastructure - my God where do you begin and then there are the social attitudes to people with any form of handicap - what sort of people treat other human beings the way orphans are treated in Romania and Bulgaria?
Hmm. Did you never see the fellas that met the country buses and always got chatting to the new girls? Do you think they were just being friendly? Admittedly back then you'd only end up on the docks, or in Liverpool, because there wasn't much of an international sex trade - but then why would you need one when you could source at home?

miha

maybe there is a misconception, based on the informations that apears in press. if you want to get a bad image you can do it.
Romania has 23 milions habitants. if a very insignificant proportion of them are not doing the right thing, that doesn't meant all of them are the same.Good things rarely appears in press.
If we are talking about misconceptions, Italians are seen as belonging to Mafia ( becausr thats what we have seen in moovies), English peoples are full of themselfs, Irishmans are drugs addicted and drinkers and so on and on...
Coruption is a problem indeed, but romanians have the excuses of 50 years of comunism, but don,t forget that even Bertie Ahern is acussed of something like that.
All the problems were sign, can be met everywere in this world, in every country, with no exception. Is just a matter of publicity.
And if you go everywere in Eastern Europe, you will see children playing safety, near their house. Try here...

forest

i went on several holidays to bulgaria throughout the 90's and have very fond memories ;) of the place
I hope to see it do well
It is now one of the fast growing economies in the EU and last week the EU lifted flight restrictions from the state
There are problems however with coruption but the biggest problem is human trafficing both sex trade slave trade and people been sent to the "west" and forced to beg
I think it would have been better off if Bulgaria and romania and not joined in 2007 but if we had left it until some of its problems were sorted

scallioneater

[/quote:2396pm76]

The ever reliable Wikipedia! :roll:

Can't be bothered to try refute the message, shoot the messenger.
Seems quite lazy and dismissive.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Well Ireland was allowed into the EEC even though it was running state sponsored slave laundries and the ruling Catholic church were running state backed institutions where brutality, child rape and murder were carried out. No one asked if we were fit to join.

Shqiptar

Even our recent past is another country and sometimes another country can be our recent past.

SEAMAI

Bulgaria is another country that should not have been allowed into the EU. It is a borderline 3rd world country.
I've met and worked with quite a few Bulgarians and Romanians in the last seven or eight years and not once have I heard any of them ever expressing any desire to go back and live in their homelands. The last time I asked a colleague of mine how she enjoyed her Christmas back in Bulgaria she just said "It was good to see my family, I will never live there, it's complete hole". The Poles I've met seem to be quite the opposite.

kvran

Much as everyone 'knows' the EU insists on straight bananas - and that's kind of the point. You do need to back up such a claim with something more than "everybody knows", or the oft-repeated myth about the accounts sign-off. Of course there is a level of corruption, fraud, and lack of accountability in the EU. There is in every large organisation - and many small ones.

The question is - is it a lot of fraud and corruption? The answer is 'no' - it affects about 0.1% of the total EU budget, and the majority of it is recovered within a year.

Is it specifically "EU" corruption? Again, no - the majority of the fraud occurs in the national civil services that handle end payments, particularly CAP. When you think 'EU fraud', you should be looking at the national Department of Agriculture (although ours has a relatively good reputation).

Is the EU particularly unaccountable and opaque? Another 'no' - the EU has a much better track record than the Irish government. We have a quango sector whose boards are staffed with 5,000 state appointees, in control of a budget of €13 billion annually - and yet a recent OECD report concludes that not only are there no current figures available for their spending, but that there haven't been for at least the last 20 years. There is ten times more money unaccounted for in the Irish quango sector yearly than we receive from the EU yearly in total.

So, yes, FT needs to try to back up his assertion, and the implication that the EU is somehow worse than our national government when it comes to money - because, frankly, it isn't the case.
Thanks for that. So many myths that just get repeated incessantly on these threads with no context or understanding. The auditors not signing off on the accounts is one of the worst because it blatantly miss identifies the culprit which are member states and not the EU institutions. It actually shows the independence of the court of auditors, if member states had such independent auditors how often would they get their accounts signed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies