Could Direct Rule break the Stormont Impasse?

death or glory

Even today an 1837 penal law requires all British court proceedings in Ireland to be conducted in English.
OMG,
imagaine having court proceedings in a language everyone understands.
Us Brits are so evil.
It would be some waste of money and utterly stupid to have court proceedings translated into Irish.

tokkie

OMG,
Us Brits are so evil.
It would be some waste of money and utterly stupid to have court proceedings translated into Irish.
D'oh.......

When that law was passed it was done so by a colonial power intending to eradicate the native language. It wasn't done as some sort of administrative efficiency.

You people really don't grasp the basics.

Ó Ghabhainn

D'oh.......

When that law was passed it was done so by a colonial power intending to eradicate the native language. It wasn't done as some sort of administrative efficiency.

You people really don't grasp the basics.
They refuse to. It requires effort.

Dame_Enda

OMG,
Us Brits are so evil.
In 1837 there were 3 million Irish speakers.

londonpride

As an Irishman from the west i can only say that i am sick of listening to this garbage about the resurrection of a language that kept us in poverty. A language that the landlord class used against us as we were unable to challenge their genocidal ambitions.
English is the language of the world used in Maths and the sciences plus being the second language in nearly all countries.
We from Connemara were sent west by Cromwell and then forced to emigrate England and commonwealth by successive governments since independence who allowed the west to decline thus forcing us to take the boat train to Holyhead and beyond
We expats should be given a vote on any decisions on Irelands future'
The immersion of people from the west in the Irish language left the emigrants totally incapable of understanding the workings of a society that was foreign to them.
That is why even today the remnants of a lot of these poor men are living alone in doss houses and even on the streets.

Ireniall

As an Irishman from the west i can only say that i am sick of listening to this garbage about the resurrection of a language that kept us in poverty. A language that the landlord class used against us as we were unable to challenge their genocidal ambitions.
English is the language of the world used in Maths and the sciences plus being the second language in nearly all countries.
We from Connemara were sent west by Cromwell and then forced to emigrate England and commonwealth by successive governments since independence who allowed the west to decline thus forcing us to take the boat train to Holyhead and beyond
The immersion of people from the west in the Irish language left the emigrants totally incapable of understanding the workings of a society that was foreign to them.
That is why even today the remnants of a lot of these poor men are living alone in doss houses and even on the streets.
You are massively overstating things there. It was not just the west that people had to leave either. Those men living alone come from all across Ireland and I doubt that even one of them is a Gaelic speaker with no English. They ended up as they are because they were lonely for home and sought solace at the bottom of a glass. I understand them perfectly but I think that most would have pulled back from this and either returned home and accepted the poverty or make a proper life in England. I've seen all sorts of complaints against Irish but this is a new one and it's getting ridiculous now.

vivabrigada

OMG,
Us Brits are so evil.
Irish people are still subject to penal laws, unionists in Ireland still try to trivialise it.
Is it any wonder it ended up in armed conflict?

Glenshane4

Please leave it to the Catholic people of Northern Ireland to decide what they want from their elected representatives.

[It would appear that the arrogance does not leave Eirefolk even when they leave Eire.]

Ó Ghabhainn

It seems the borg has consumed you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies