Could Fine Gael and Sinn Fein form a Government

kellsangel

It is very clear at this stage that in a post General Election situation that Fianna Fail will be unlikely to have the necessary Numbers even with Labour to form a government.

In any event FF would hardly be credible given their part in ruining the country as opposed to running it.

Labour have not indicated and realistic grasp of the necessary measures required to save the country. They should be quite at home with the march to a larger State Sector with the march to nationalisation of the Financial Sector.

Sinn Fein are motivated by a high sense of duty to their country and given that there hardly a party in the country without that was not hatched from armed struggle are they now ready to take their place in government to serve their Country.

A Sinn Fein FF government is not an option due to the perception by SF that FF are too close to Vested interests in the construction and banking sectors.

October

I hate to see it but many within Fine Gael especially at "strategy level" are starting to warm to the prospect of Sinn Fein being sanitized & thus a potential coalition partner.

Now I'd never say never but leaving aside the issues I have with Sinn Fein's recent past & the manner in which they run their party I think there are too many fundamental policy differences, they're too far left, too anti-europe & generally at odds with most of what Fine Gael stands for!

kellsangel

Surely if they could form a government with Ian Paisley

Surely if they could form a government with Ian Paisley they could form a government with anyone

Fianna Fail were considered sanitized by the early thirties, and its a while since 1998

October

Big difference between a forced coalition which is struggling along & a free one ala the South! DUP don't really have any coherent policies bar protecting the Union, Sinn Fein like to at least pretend to be a Hard Left party as well as Republican

Pat Mc Larnon

I hate to see it but many within Fine Gael especially at "strategy level" are starting to warm to the prospect of Sinn Fein being sanitized & thus a potential coalition partner.

Now I'd never say never but leaving aside the issues I have with Sinn Fein's recent past & the manner in which they run their party I think there are too many fundamental policy differences, they're too far left, too anti-europe & generally at odds with most of what Fine Gael stands for!
What you are getting though are less and less people dismissing the idea out of hand.

October

What you are getting though are less and less people dismissing the idea out of hand.
Big time, but will SF be enough of a presence after the next General Election to be vital to a coaltion. Both Morgan & O'Snodaigh's seats could be at risk, Ferriss' too and they've very few realistic gains on the horizon bar in Donegal

Dillon Country

Correct. I think that a FG lef coalition with SF could be a possibility due to
1) The two parties work extremely well together at many local authorities such as in Monaghan, Louth etc.

2) The SF party is not a closely tied to Trade Unions and that may be a factor in helping FG to warm to the idea.

3) The next Election will be like that of 1948 - "Get them out!"

kellsangel

Labour are obsesed with maintaining public sector pay

Labour are obsessed with maintaining public sector pay

Fianna Fail are not capable of running the country

The Greens will not be taken seriously again and are likely to be wiped out next time out.

SF are have the motivation to take on public sector unions.

FG are already work with SF on Councils

White Horse

It is very clear at this stage that in a post General Election situation that Fianna Fail will be unlikely to have the necessary Numbers even with Labour to form a government.

In any event FF would hardly be credible given their part in ruining the country as opposed to running it.

Labour have not indicated and realistic grasp of the necessary measures required to save the country. They should be quite at home with the march to a larger State Sector with the march to nationalisation of the Financial Sector.

Sinn Fein are motivated by a high sense of duty to their country and given that there hardly a party in the country without that was not hatched from armed struggle are they now ready to take their place in government to serve their Country.

A Sinn Fein FF government is not an option due to the perception by SF that FF are too close to Vested interests in the construction and banking sectors.
It is possible but unlikely.

First of all, a programme for government would have to be agreed. This may be problematic.

Secondly, the leadership of SF resides outside of the Dail. This would make it very difficult to operate an effective coalition government.

Would decisions be made at the cabinet table or via phonecalls to Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness?

kellsangel

Decision making power would need to reside in at the cabinet table

Decision making power would need to reside in at the cabinet table

But that is a matter for SF to put in place.

They must be eager to get into Government. I cant see them in government with FF

Amach na Casca

If SF hold the balance of power, a deal could be done with FG. Any coalition is going to involve different thinking parties coming together to form a Govt. There is absolutely no reason why these two parties couldn't form a coalition with each other.

markeys

If FG go into government with SF they'll be hell to pay amongst ordinary decent people. If FG are even contemplating this they should say so before the election and watch as their vote crumbles to pieces.

FF will be back in power in no time if FG persues this option.

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
If FG go into government with SF they'll be hell to pay amongst ordinary decent people. If FG are even contemplating this they should say so before the election and watch as their vote crumbles to pieces.

Because decent people don't vote SF?

Why would it cause the FG vote to "crumble"?

turdsl

Sinn Fein should have nothing to do with F.G. Garrett Fitzgerald when he was thoiseach refused to talk to elected M.Ps and he was a man who tried to work for peace but at the same time he worked hard for the destruction of S,F.this was a failure.Since then F.G rhetoric has been pro UUP. If F.G entered politics in the North it would be to close to the UUP and this would be a disadvantage to unity

TradCat

If the numbers are right all things are possible. Sinn Fein have as much right to make a contribution in government as any other party. And they also have as much right to bring their agenda to the table and have it included in the program for government.

But it would be worthwhile in my view (not a pre-condition) to regularize the situation of the IRA either by a formal disbanding of the Army Council or by lifting the ban on the organization and allowing it to become something else. The main thing is that we are all on the same page constitutionally.

Amach na Casca

Thats complete and utter unsubstantiated bollix!

kellsangel

I know of no strategy by FG to court SF

I know of no strategy by FG to court SF. I was am very sure that Sinn Fein would find it very difficult to facilitate Fianna Fail being returned to power for a fourth term.

A vote for Fine Gael is the only way you can guarantee your won't end up facilitating Fianna Fail as no other party have ruled out coalition with FF.

Perhaps this is something that Labour would facilitate, despite the terrible impact FF have had on our Country.

Very few would conceive of SF going into government with fianna Fail, where as Labour are holding out the option of facilitating a fourth term in power for Fianna Fail.

It is a matter for the people to return the deputies of their choice, and it is the responsibility of the parties to form a government when the people have spoken.

The people want to know where parties stand in relation to facilitating a fourth term for Fianna Fail in Government

D

Duth Ealla

Sinn Fein should have nothing to do with F.G. Garrett Fitzgerald when he was thoiseach refused to talk to elected M.Ps and he was a man who tried to work for peace but at the same time he worked hard for the destruction of S,F.this was a failure.Since then F.G rhetoric has been pro UUP. If F.G entered politics in the North it would be to close to the UUP and this would be a disadvantage to unity
Disagree, SF should enter into a coalition with FG because thats the reality of the situation. How otherwise is there progess to be made. There are many who would love to see SF stay out of a FG govt. because they have no interest in SF's agenda.

FG while not orange certainly seemed to have fake tan on. However why cede the ground to them. Get in and articulate the republican vision.

FG organising in the North is necessary and once it happens it will be a big step forward even if they do ally with the UUP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies