• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Could Ireland ever host summer olympics?

THR

Has Ireland ever had a bid to host summer olympics? For obvious reasons it is not very likely that winter olympics would ever be held in Ireland.

At the time of the last olympics four yars ago many people said that the games will never again be hosted by such a small country like Greece is. However, one could easily predict that the games will be held in Greece again sometime in the future as Greece is the home of the olympics but will the games ever be held in another small country again. Where does the limit of the size of the country go how big a country must be in order to host olympics.

On wednesday the IOC selected four cities out of seven which will compete to host the 2016 games. Baku, Doha and Prague were rejected. The remaining four are Madrid, Chicago, Tokyo and Rio De Janeiro.

Which of them will be selected? As the games won't be held twice in a row on the same continent, Madrid is out but almost certain winner to host the 2020 games.

Rio de Janeiro has two weaknesses; Their infrastructure is not up to the standard. Besides, the football world cup 2014 will be held in Brazil and the same country won't get two such high profile events within such a short period of time.

That leaves only Tokyo and Chicago. My bet is Chicago.

Has there ever been discussion in Ireland to go for the games? After all, the bidding-process is very expensive and if you lose all the money is wasted. Besides, hosting the olympic games has been an economic disaster for many host cities. The games were held in Barcelona 16 years ago. The city is still in debt up to its eyeballs because of the unprofitable games.

Aggressor

We possibly could find the money for it but few would see it as being justified considering all the other projects that need investment. I saw reports earlier in the week detailing how many Greek Olympic sites are now practically abandoned, the same and worse would happen here. To justify holding the games you have to look at the long term benefit(or burden) to the country.

Dáiler

Ask Gay Mitchell, for those of us old enough to remember Gay proposed that Dublin should make a bid for the Olympics, I think it was during his term of office as Lord Mayor.

THR

It has been said that the last "pure" olympics were held in Helsinki 1952. Everything was so small scale back then. All the facilities built for the games are now in public use. All the houses built to accomodate the guests were very much needed after the games.

Of course, that was then, over 50 years ago and the same wouldn't apply today. Even if there are existing facilities for the games to take place every bidder must convince the IOC that they are going to build much grander.

DOD

No. Case closed.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Dáiler said:
Ask Gay Mitchell, for those of us old enough to remember Gay proposed that Dublin should make a bid for the Olympics, I think it was during his term of office as Lord Mayor.
Actually, he suggested that Dublin should look to develop the infrastructure necessary to be able to think about making a bid, not that we should make a bid out of the blue. The benefit would be that to be in a position to think about making a bid, we would develop the social and transport infrastructure which would be of use to us anyway, and that as steps to that aim we should aim to host other smaller international events like UEFA cup finals, European Athletics finals and so on.

Utopian Hermit Monk

KingKane said:
we would develop the social and transport infrastructure which would be of use to us anyway, and that as steps to that aim we should aim to host other smaller international events like UEFA cup finals, European Athletics finals and so on.
e.g. Barbra Streisand concerts? :lol:

The OD

Oh this is priceless......could we ever host the Olympics? I'd be happy to have a decent metro system first?

THR

The OD said:
Oh this is priceless......could we ever host the Olympics? I'd be happy to have a decent metro system first?
Well Baku(Azerbaijan) had a bid to host the games. They probably thought they can host the games. I'm sure they are not very much better than Dublin.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Utopian Hermit Monk said:
KingKane said:
we would develop the social and transport infrastructure which would be of use to us anyway, and that as steps to that aim we should aim to host other smaller international events like UEFA cup finals, European Athletics finals and so on.
e.g. Barbra Streisand concerts? :lol:
Well, as the intent was never followed up perhaps we can suggest the trauma suffered by those at that concert was caused by that lack of political will! :lol:

dazzler

Dublin does'nt have the infrastructure, maybe in about 50 years but not now.

politicaldonations

There are'nt enough gold medals in fort knox to satisfy the FF'ers in this country to chance holding the olympics.

dub006

Taoiseach brian cowan, enda kenny and eamonn gilmore are announcing tomorrow that the EU will award Ireland with the olympics if we vote yes.

freedomlover

It would be silly. Ireland isn't into most of the sports that figure in the Olympics. We're just not an Olympics country. The sports Ireland is into are field games like gaelic football, hurling, soccer, rugby, and even cricket (yes cricket - not widely played in all parts of Ireland, but it may surprise southerners to know that its very popular in the Foyle Valley and Lagan Valley, in fact I'm going to a cricket match near Strabane tomorrow). Then golf is huge in Ireland, and so is horse racing, and perhaps show jumping could be added as well. And motor-bike racing is huge (and I mean huge) in the north of Ireland. And professional boxing could be included too. I'm sure there are some I've left out.

All of these sports are one million times more exciting than 90 per cent of the rubbish served up in the Olympics. Things like weight-lifting, Graeco-Roman wrestling and gymnastics are so so big in the Olympics, but, like most people in Ireland, I wouldn't go to see the Olympic finals of these sports if they were being held in my back garden. Netball and volleyball are certainly better sports than these and are massively popular in many countries, but don't rate at all in Ireland. Beach volleyball might attract a few sex maniacs if the Olympics were held in Ireland, but not sports fans. Other Olympic sports like athletics, swimming, rowing might attract a little more interest in Ireland, but only if Irish competitors were in the finals.

All-in-all, the sports that are most popular in Ireland do not feature much in the Olympics. What is more, the sports that are most popular in Ireland are far far more exciting than the Olympics sports. I pity those countries where the Olympics sports are their staple sports diet and they don't have the excitement of hurling, or rugby, or horse racing. There are even countries in eastern Europe where gymnastics is the main sport. While people in Ireland are out watching the Ulster Final, or the Heineken Final, or the Irish Derby, the sporting public in these countries has to make do with watching anorexics waifs stretching themselves on bits of pole. So, quite frankly, we don't need the Olympics, we're just not interested in most of the sports that figure in the Olympics and, because of that, we're not deserving of them as much as those countries that are into the broad range of Olympics sports.

coc

freedomlover said:
It would be silly. Ireland isn't into most of the sports that figure in the Olympics. We're just not an Olympics country. The sports Ireland is into are field games like gaelic football, hurling, soccer, rugby, and even cricket (yes cricket - not widely played in all parts of Ireland, but it may surprise southerners to know that its very popular in the Foyle Valley and Lagan Valley, in fact I'm going to a cricket match near Strabane tomorrow). Then golf is huge in Ireland, and so is horse racing, and perhaps show jumping could be added as well. And motor-bike racing is huge (and I mean huge) in the north of Ireland. And professional boxing could be included too. I'm sure there are some I've left out.

All of these sports are one million times more exciting than 90 per cent of the rubbish served up in the Olympics. Things like weight-lifting, Graeco-Roman wrestling and gymnastics are so so big in the Olympics, but, like most people in Ireland, I wouldn't go to see the Olympic finals of these sports if they were being held in my back garden. Netball and volleyball are certainly better sports than these and are massively popular in many countries, but don't rate at all in Ireland. Beach volleyball might attract a few sex maniacs if the Olympics were held in Ireland, but not sports fans. Other Olympic sports like athletics, swimming, rowing might attract a little more interest in Ireland, but only if Irish competitors were in the finals.

All-in-all, the sports that are most popular in Ireland do not feature much in the Olympics. What is more, the sports that are most popular in Ireland are far far more exciting than the Olympics sports. I pity those countries where the Olympics sports are their staple sports diet and they don't have the excitement of hurling, or rugby, or horse racing. There are even countries in eastern Europe where gymnastics is the main sport. While people in Ireland are out watching the Ulster Final, or the Heineken Final, or the Irish Derby, the sporting public in these countries has to make do with watching anorexics waifs stretching themselves on bits of pole. So, quite frankly, we don't need the Olympics, we're just not interested in most of the sports that figure in the Olympics and, because of that, we're not deserving of them as much as those countries that are into the broad range of Olympics sports.
Is there any topic on which you are not expert? Bravo!

So tell me, which pitiful countries subsist solely on a thin gruel of rings, triple jump & dressage?

politicaldonations

coc said:
freedomlover said:

So tell me, which pitiful countries subsist solely on a thin gruel of rings, triple jump & dressage?
Unfortunately Freedomlover does'nt beleive in the freedom of those eastern europe to chose their preffered sport. Freedom by name ,not by nature.

The Earl of Desmond

It depends who is in office - if FG was then maybe as FG/L managed to get the DART built on time and on budget when we hadn't a penny so I'm sure they'd do fine now.

If FF were in power then there wouldn't be a hope as the amount of corruption. mafia, cronyism involved would destory the whole thing from the start.

Shame we can't aspire to anyting like that because of how we are.

freedomlover

politicaldonations said:
coc said:
freedomlover said:

Unfortunately Freedomlover does'nt beleive in the freedom of those eastern europe to chose their preffered sport. Freedom by name ,not by nature.
Au contraire. They are welcome to their choices. They're just not our choices, thank The Lord. And because of that, holding the Olympics in Ireland would be daft. At least 90 per cent of the Olympics events would have paltry attendances in Ireland. Its a fact! The gymnastics events, or the weight-lifting, or the Graeco-Roman wrestling might have people queuing to see them in Sofia or Tashkent, but think how many would turn up to watch them in Ireland, especially if they clashed with a Dublin-Meath Leinster Final. If we want world sports events, we should aim, on a 32-county basis and perhaps in a decade's time, for something like the Rugby World Cup, or the Euro Finals, or the Ryder Cup (which, lof course, we had) or maybe even try to get Dublin on the F1 Grand Prix circuit , but definitely not the Olympics.

Popular Threads

Most Replies