Could Labour do too well for their own good at next election?

Jesus Wept

Opinion polls suggest that their tally of seats is going to be high. What happens if it's close (or even exceeds) that of FG?

Might Enda Kenny not be tempted to cut a better deal with either FF or SF if the numbers are right?

As far as I'm aware Eamon Gilmore is the only party leader to have categorically stated that under no circumstances will he form a coalition with FF after the next election.

ruamruam

FG will not do a deal with FF and FG and SF wont have the numbers. The next government will be a FG/Lab one

Chrisco

As far as I'm aware Eamon Gilmore is the only party leader to have categorically stated that under no circumstances will he form a coalition with FF after the next election.
You are apparently not very aware then.

MattM

Close the thread, there is no possibility FG will tag with FF, you have got to be kidding.

I think we need an aspect of FG in government as they have the most expertise, Labour don't have enough depth to lead the country alone. I would like a Labour FG pact with Gilmore as Taoiseach and Bruton as Finance Minister

Superlepreachaun

They will support their budget, they are saying the same things, they have virtually the same plans for dealing with the crises...but they won't co into coalition, thats "kidding"?

Explain this perverse logic to me?

Jesus Wept

Close the thread, there is no possibility FG will tag with FF, you have got to be kidding.

I think we need an aspect of FG in government as they have the most expertise, Labour don't have enough depth to lead the country alone. I would like a Labour FG pact with Gilmore as Taoiseach and Bruton as Finance Minister
FF with 20 to 25 seats under a Hanafin leadership might be very tempting to Enda. When has he categorically stated that he will not form a coalition with FF under any circumstances?

dapman

Enda wouldnt last two minutes as FG leader if he even suggested a coalition with FF

jayblue

it appears that it will be an fg/labour government after the next election, even if labour managed to get up to 60 seats there is no way the other left leaning parties could get up to 25 seats

BlackLion

Why are people still fighting over who gets into power?
SF,FG and Lab are just as bad if not worse than FF, whats the point in voting them in when the only real difference is the name.
Demand a better society where plonkers likes these can't get into power again and sail us up a another sh1t creek in a few years.

redhead101

Enda definitively ruled it out too.

Even if SF trebled their seat count, they still would not become relevant in terms of Dail arithmetic.

redhead101

SF,FG and Lab are just as bad if not worse than FF, whats the point in voting them in when the only real difference is the name.
Demand a better society where plonkers likes these can't get into power again and sail us up a another sh1t creek in a few years.
Demand of whom?

If you really want a "better society", the only obvious way it can be delivered is via the political system, under the provisions of Bunreacht na hEireann. If you believe that it should be changed by other means, then why on earth are you getting involved in a discourse on a political website?

physicist

Yes I agree, impose a technocracy governed by some sort of international bank so it doesn't fluctuate with global conditions ... oh wait!

pujols

Do folks really think that FF would be willing to go into coalition with FG, especially as a junior partner?

I imagine they would be glad to head over to the opposition benches and regroup. I have met none who are anticipating a return to power in any form.

TODevastated

any party dim enough to bring FF back into power after the next election is signing their own death warrant

FF deserve about 20 years on the sidelines for presiding over this **** up

Desperate Dan

If Gilmore stands candidates in the following areas. WP Cork. DL northside Dublin. OSF Cavan/Monaghan or maybe Dundalk. Gilmore can't offer himself in Galway so he will have to stick to his East Coast.( shame he couldn't stand in his own County). Just some suggestions.

derm0t

Too well for their own good?

The dream scenario for Labour after the next election would be to be the largest party in opposition. Were FG to coalesce with other parties (assuming it was possible, numerically or politically), and Labour able to sit in opposition with 50+ deputies, while FG does the dirty work of chewing through the sh---t sandwich left by FF.... that's the sweet spot.

Gilmore gets to be safe in opposition, biding time, separating the wheat from the chaff of his new 30+TDs (that's a big job already), as well as build up the party in areas where it doesn't yet exist.

As a bonus, Lab in opposition with ~50 or more, FF ~20 or less, sidelines the FF rump even more. Hello Party of Dev: meet the dustbin of history.

Not likely to happen, but would be fun if it did.

Buddies

There is no way that Inda will do a deal with FF. FF are toxic.

They destroy any party they coalesce with

Labour 1992(ok not destroyed but hurt)
PDs
Greens

This will be a FG/LAB govt

L

longshortgrass

I would like a Labour FG pact with Gilmore as Taoiseach and Bruton as Finance Minister
No chance. Gilmore does not do humility.

Could you imagine the savaging Gilmore would get from the FF opposition as he implements their four year plan. The plan comes with the job, the Germans insist...

BlackLion

Demand of whom?

If you really want a "better society", the only obvious way it can be delivered is via the political system, under the provisions of Bunreacht na hEireann. If you believe that it should be changed by other means, then why on earth are you getting involved in a discourse on a political website?
I demand of the people, This is a democracy the last time i looked.
we could have till april before we get a new governement. people see this as a bad thing, I think it's an opportunity to get rid of the corruption once and for all. FF are now a zombie party that are as much as a spectator as everyone else.

Have you ever heard of a 1 man Revolution? I am very passionate about wanting change but how will I juggle between President of the Joe soap party, Vice-president, Spokesman of health, on Justise, on Foreign Affairs, on Finance, on Education and so on. I'm using this forum like the other parties are using this to get followers. i looking to see if theres other like me wanting real change away from the civil war politics that dug us into that hole. they are astro-turfing i am the real deal, i am the grass roots.

The Civil war is over lads time to move on.:rolleyes:

New Threads

Most Replies