Could Piesters please contribute to a debate about my bedding arrangements please?

blokesbloke

Thank you.

I live in a studio flat, so I don't have a seperate bedroom.

I bought a lovely leather Natuzzi sofa when I got the flat, but it's showing its age now.

The trouble is I never found it very comfortable. The mattress is simply too thin and I can feel the metal bars underneath.

I've tried a mattress topper but it didn't help much.

It's got so bad I'm now actually sleeping on the sofa itself, which is more comfortable but not very roomy, and still not all that comfortable.

So I now want a replacement, but it's very difficult to decide what to do.

As far as I can see, my options are:-

1. A new sofa bed. I have found some ones which claim to be suitable for everyday use but they are eye-watering expensive. I would save up for one but I shall have to visit their showroom in London (ugh!) to try the mattresses out.
Furl | Storage Beds, Sofa Beds, Tables and Wall Beds

2. A wall bed. The trouble with these is that they don't seem as practical as they seem, because whilst they fold away, you can't have anything major in front of them because you have to keep the floor clear for it to come down again. Again, expensive and I am not sure if they are as comfortable as standard beds.

3. A standard bed. This would be much cheaper and the most comfy, but I don't really want a bed on display all the time in the apartment. I'd have to keep it perfectly made and even then it would look a bit odd I think.
I did wonder if I could put something round it, like curtains on a track from the ceiling or even those paper screens the Japanese use to divide flats.

Also the flat is reasonably large as studios go, but there's only one set of patio doors for my windows and with the electric heaters as well I might struggle to fit it all in as I'd need a seperate sofa too.

I suppose I could have a single but whilst I do live alone, there's something about having a single bed I'd find a bit tragic, and what would I do with gentleman callers?

Any have ideas? Anyone lived in a studio flat before?

silverharp

On youtube there a bunch of videos on Tokyo small apt living, you might get some ideas

blokesbloke

I did even wonder about a modern-styled four poster!

Then I could pull the curtains on it during the day.

Or have a normal bed and just put the screening round it, effectively creating a mini-bedroom. With a shelf above it and a lamp it could work.

And the lack of a window wouldn't be an issue as it's a bedroom anyway, and it would literally be a bed "room" with no room for anything else - wardrobe etc would be outside the "room".

between the bridges

sadmal

I did even wonder about a modern-styled four poster!

Then I could pull the curtains on it during the day.

Or have a normal bed and just put the screening round it, effectively creating a mini-bedroom. With a shelf above it and a lamp it could work.

And the lack of a window wouldn't be an issue as it's a bedroom anyway, and it would literally be a bed "room" with no room for anything else - wardrobe etc would be outside the "room".
I wouldn't go for the modern four poster, it would be the focal point not to mention talking point of the studio. A modern bed with decorative screen/room divider in front of it sounds much nicer.

redhead

Thank you.

I live in a studio flat, so I don't have a seperate bedroom.

I bought a lovely leather Natuzzi sofa when I got the flat, but it's showing its age now.

The trouble is I never found it very comfortable. The mattress is simply too thin and I can feel the metal bars underneath.

I've tried a mattress topper but it didn't help much.

It's got so bad I'm now actually sleeping on the sofa itself, which is more comfortable but not very roomy, and still not all that comfortable.

So I now want a replacement, but it's very difficult to decide what to do.

As far as I can see, my options are:-

1. A new sofa bed. I have found some ones which claim to be suitable for everyday use but they are eye-watering expensive. I would save up for one but I shall have to visit their showroom in London (ugh!) to try the mattresses out.
Furl | Storage Beds, Sofa Beds, Tables and Wall Beds

2. A wall bed. The trouble with these is that they don't seem as practical as they seem, because whilst they fold away, you can't have anything major in front of them because you have to keep the floor clear for it to come down again. Again, expensive and I am not sure if they are as comfortable as standard beds.

3. A standard bed. This would be much cheaper and the most comfy, but I don't really want a bed on display all the time in the apartment. I'd have to keep it perfectly made and even then it would look a bit odd I think.
I did wonder if I could put something round it, like curtains on a track from the ceiling or even those paper screens the Japanese use to divide flats.

Also the flat is reasonably large as studios go, but there's only one set of patio doors for my windows and with the electric heaters as well I might struggle to fit it all in as I'd need a seperate sofa too.

I suppose I could have a single but whilst I do live alone, there's something about having a single bed I'd find a bit tragic, and what would I do with gentleman callers?

Any have ideas? Anyone lived in a studio flat before?
I live in one now but I don't own it so I can't do what I would like which is build a platform bed as it's an old Georgian house with high ceilings. My parents did this in the 70's in a first floor apartment which also admittedly had very high ceilings (16 feet). That is the key.

Not exactly like this, but in the same vein:

Two things, you can't be regularly coming in trollied as it involves a step ladder. You can't jump up and down on the mattress. Other than that it's a great solution, google it and you'll find hundreds of different styles for different rooms.

A nice hunky carpenter will knock you one up in no time at the fraction of the cost of a bed or sofa bed. All you need to do is get yourself a mattress.

former wesleyan

A day bed always looks nice.

ger12

I live in one now but I don't own it so I can't do what I would like which is build a platform bed as it's an old Georgian house with high ceilings. My parents did this in the 70's in a first floor apartment which also admittedly had very high ceilings (16 feet). That is the key.

Two things, you can't be regularly coming in trollied as it involves a step ladder. You can't jump up and down on the mattress. Other than that it's a great solution, google it and you'll find hundreds of different styles for different rooms.

A nice hunky carpenter will knock you one up in no time at the fraction of the cost of a bed or sofa bed. All you need to do is get yourself a mattress.
Great idea.

Dame_Enda

I used to have a double bed for around 9 years before it started falling apart. I went onto littlewoods and got a very cheap single bed replacement for less than €200. It was very easy to assemble but kind-of creaky and not that comfy. It can support two people quite well.

RodShaft

An air mattress instead of a topper. True you have to inflate and deflate, but with the little air pump that takes about 2 mins.

blokesbloke

That looks fantastic but sadly it's a modern apartment so low ceilings :(

What do you do for bedding in your studio?

blokesbloke

Coo!

I'm the 10th post popular thread of the day.

If only everyone was more interested in my bedding arrangements offline I would be a much happier man.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies