Could/should psychometric tests be mandatory for all Dail Eireann candidates?

Disillusioned democrat

Since about 2010 every company I've worked for has made it mandatory for all candidates for jobs from middle-management upwards to undergo psychometric tests and the results made available to the recruiters/interviewers.

Given the importance of the role of TD and especially minister, should it now become mandatory for all candidates who put themselves forward for election to Dail Eireann, and given the electorate's role as "recruiter" and the tax payers role as paymaster, for the results to be made available to the electorate over the web at election time?

I imagine there are some quite "interesting" personality facets among our current crop of TDs, but if people were more informed would we, the electorate who continually gets told "get the government we deserve" make better decisions?

Mad as Fish

Absolutely not. The single test for entry into the dail should remain the number of votes garnered.

Fr Peter McWhinger

Since about 2010 every company I've worked for has made it mandatory for all candidates for jobs from middle-management upwards to undergo psychometric tests and the results made available to the recruiters/interviewers.

Given the importance of the role of TD and especially minister, should it now become mandatory for all candidates who put themselves forward for election to Dail Eireann, and given the electorate's role as "recruiter" and the tax payers role as paymaster, for the results to be made available to the electorate over the web at election time?

I imagine there are some quite "interesting" personality facets among our current crop of TDs, but if people were more informed would we, the electorate who continually gets told "get the government we deserve" make better decisions?
Would they test for Neurotypical compliance or for Neuroatypical profiles?

Fr Peter McWhinger

Would Candidates Game the test by simply giving answers that the test favoured. Just another version of making popular promises.

Degeneration X

Interesting idea, although are psychometric tests really all that accurate?

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/the-psychometric-testing-myth-harry-freedman

Disillusioned democrat

Would Candidates Game the test by simply giving answers that the test favoured. Just another version of making popular promises.
I've done a couple that had a number of overlapping scenarios designed to spot the gamers - very effective it must be said and very, very accurate. Obviously there's no perfect test but even a 90% accurate insight into the candidates character would be a good insight.

Disillusioned democrat

Absolutely not. The single test for entry into the dail should remain the number of votes garnered.
I agree 100%, but would it not be better if the people casting the votes had a better insight into the candidates actual character BEFORE casting those votes?

It's too late after the election to find out your candidate is a narcissistic sociopath.

Notachipanoaktree

Just what the world needs. Certificates of personal compliance.

Do the lick-arse yes men/women get badges or just Pascal Hairdo's.

Golden Phoenix

I wonder what James Bannon's psychometric test results would say about him?

Notachipanoaktree

I agree 100%, but would it not be better if the people casting the votes had a better insight into the candidates actual character BEFORE casting those votes?

It's too late after the election to find out your candidate is a narcissistic sociopath.
Says who? Our new Human Resource Lords and Masters. GOD preserve us from dumb-ass little blonde whores, with acquired valuable piece of parchment and a stomach that don't wretch easily.

Last edited:

Orbit v2

What have psychometric tests got to do with character?

They certainly aren't going to find out if the person is a narcissistic sociopath.

Prof Honeydew

Why bother with the expense of an election at all? Just appoint the 166 highest scores on the tests to the Dail.

GDPR

TDs are for the most part extremely rational and practical people. They know what will serve their interests and act accordingly.

It's their voters who are nuts.

razorblade

I think psychological tests are more appropriate considering some of the absolute garbage we have heard coming from Dail Eireann.

New Threads