• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Could the Niall Mellon Trust help Irish Homeless People?

potholedogger

Could the Niall Mellon Trust help Irish Homeless People?

Focus Ireland estimate there are some 3,000 homeless families in Ireland with in excess of an additional 500 homeless children in Ireland.

The Niall Mellon Trust, Housing Charity, to date has helped to house 100,000 South African People having completed more than 20,000 new homes.

Many of you will know some one who has volunteered their services to work with the trust, and give their labour in South Africa to build simple homes for people to live in.

There is a certain genius in the organisation, in that many people who never drove a nail , picked up a shovel, laid a brick, nor even held a saw, were able to build homes in South Africa after a ten hour flight there.

Mellon's efforts in providing homes for so many poor South Africans have earned praise from many quarters including Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. In 2004 he was honoured by Dublin City Council.

He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy by the Dublin Institute of Technology and a Doctor of Law from University College Cork.

Is there any way we could direct the talents of his organisation towards addressing the growing problem of Homelessness in Ireland, which is a most worthy cause?

Every person needs the security, comfort, and refuge of a home. Ireland's Homeless Charity Focus Ireland reports that cuts to rent supplement are forcing many more people into homelessness.

The Irish Government donated €5 million to the Niall Mellon Trust in 2008 following a visit to South Africa by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. Now the Niall Mellon Trust are looking to Kenya to continue their work.

With a surplus of Building land lying idle in NAMA and a resourceful organisation Like the Niall Mellon Trust on our doorstep we could abolish homelessness if we could harness the skill, drive and energy of the Niall Mellon Trust!

noses out of joint as €5m goes to Niall - National News - Independent.ie
Focus Ireland - Information sheets and Magazines
Rent supplement cuts 'making people homeless' | Irish Examiner
Niall Mellon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

meriwether

I could never understand why Niall Mellon employed Glenda Gilson to stack blocks, instead of local South African labour.

Some suspicious people might think this enterprise was a massive ego drive and self aggradising popularity stunt from a bunch of absolute vacuous thundercunnies, but not me though.

statsman

Maybe Knockraboo Developments could be the first of the NAMA lands to be used in this way?

potholedogger

Would many of the Irish People who helped to build homes in South Africa help to build homes in Ireland if they could be organised?

Would the public be as likely to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Blanchardstown to build a house as they were to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Capetown?

Mind you traveling from Boyle to Blanchardstown is less exotic than traveling to South Africa!

Would many of the Irish People who helped to build homes in South Africa help to build homes in Ireland if they could be organised?

Would the public be as likely to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Blanchardstown to build a house as they were to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Capetown?

Mind you traveling from Boyle to Blanchardstown is less exotic than traveling to South Africa!
Why do you want a rank amateur building a house, haven't there been enough rank amateurs like the SF/IRA British Citizen who built Priory Hall.

potholedogger

Why do you want a rank amateur building a house, haven't there been enough rank amateurs like the SF/IRA British Citizen who built Priory Hall.
The Mellon trust seems to magically skill many of it's volunteers in a matter of hours. By all accounts it seems to have worked in South Africia, so why not give ita a chance here. I have not heard of any problems with the South African Mellon built homes.

cathalbrugha

The Mellon trust seems to magically skill many of it's volunteers in a matter of hours. By all accounts it seems to have worked in South Africia, so why not give ita a chance here. I have not heard of any problems with the South African Mellon built homes.
Ask the Labour Partys Jan O'Sullivan. She's being paid E500,000 over 4 years to deal with homelessness.

Focus Ireland -
The charity stressed that with 5,000 people homeless, almost 100,000 on the housing waiting lists and tens of thousand more in risk of homelessness due to mortgage or rent arrears,Ireland is in the midst of a housing and homelessness crisis

Sorry but idea of an enthuastic volunteer, builing the house I was going to live in with no real skills would scrare the bejaysus out of me.

Pudna

I could never understand why Niall Mellon employed Glenda Gilson to stack blocks, instead of local South African labour.

Some suspicious people might think this enterprise was a massive ego drive and self aggradising popularity stunt from a bunch of absolute vacuous thundercunnies, but not me though.
It is fairly simple....Glenda raised a few grand, and worked for free over there, the money all went to materials, none for your labourer, that is not what it was about, now that SA government is funding, there is indeed something for the SA labourer........genius really.

Pudna

Sorry but idea of an enthuastic volunteer, builing the house I was going to live in with no real skills would scrare the bejaysus out of me.
Housebuilding is quite different over there and real tradesmen from Ireland actually did the work with labour provided by the unskilled.

Pudna

Ask the Labour Partys Jan O'Sullivan. She's being paid E500,000 over 4 years to deal with homelessness.

Focus Ireland -
The charity stressed that with 5,000 people homeless, almost 100,000 on the housing waiting lists and tens of thousand more in risk of homelessness due to mortgage or rent arrears,Ireland is in the midst of a housing and homelessness crisis
Or else Potholedigger could have a go here, why not?

Housebuilding is quite different over there and real tradesmen from Ireland actually did the work with labour provided by the unskilled.
So Glenda was the tea lady .........................

Shouldn't mock, give her credit for doing something, as have friends in the US who have volunteered with Habitat - Homes 4 Humanity

Bill E Bunter

Ah... Niall Mellon.
One of my favourite subjects.
Still out of pocket to the tune of approx €2K for work done for a company of his.
But sure as long as the houses get built in South Africa, eh?

Spanner Island

I don't think the problem in Ireland is a lack of houses...

Plus in S.A. people were glad to get out of shacks into simple bricks and mortar houses with a bit of plumbing...

In Ireland the expectations seem a little different, houses kitted out with all mod cons and the best of the best with a Sky dish on top...

And you won't get any thanks for it either...

The more you give some people the more resentful they are towards the givers and more demanding they get about what they think they should be 'entitled' to...

This is why I'm opposed to cradle to the grave welfare and benefits without the recipients having to earn them...

b.a. baracus

The houses should be built by local south african people who are desperate for work rather than shipping in people from Ireland at God knows what cost.

As for ending the homeless problem in Ireland, everybody in Ireland is entitled to rent allowance and social welfare including those sleeping on the streets. If everybody on the dole was sleeping on the streets then there would be 400k people plus dependents out there. You have to ask the question why are this tiny percentage of people sleeping rough?? and I would wager that addiction and mental health issues far out rank the availability of accommodation as a cause. There are also places for every person sleeping on the streets in emergency hostels and shelters, some choose not to use them.

The State is giving charities like Focus and Simon a small fortune to provide homeless services. Maybe somebody should ask Simon why they have several regional CEO's on big money and company cars.

potholedogger

The houses should be built by local south african people who are desperate for work rather than shipping in people from Ireland at God knows what cost.

As for ending the homeless problem in Ireland, everybody in Ireland is entitled to rent allowance and social welfare including those sleeping on the streets. If everybody on the dole was sleeping on the streets then there would be 400k people plus dependents out there. You have to ask the question why are this tiny percentage of people sleeping rough?? and I would wager that addiction and mental health issues far out rank the availability of accommodation as a cause. There are also places for every person sleeping on the streets in emergency hostels and shelters, some choose not to use them.

The State is giving charities like Focus and Simon a small fortune to provide homeless services. Maybe somebody should ask Simon why they have several regional CEO's on big money and company cars.

How many people are employed providing "Homeless Services" ?

What is the average cost in Salary, pensions, expenses?

Last edited:

Spanner Island

As far as I know there is no cost...

The volunteers have to raise enough to get them there, to pay for food and copious amounts of drink and then back home again...

It's an industry don't you know? - the poverty industry? not unlike the War On Drugs which is another farce on which many people and vested interests now depend for a living and is why it will never end...

b.a. baracus

As far as I know there is no cost...

The volunteers have to raise enough to get them there, to pay for food and copious amounts of drink and then back home again...

It's an industry don't you know? - the poverty industry? not unlike the War On Drugs which is another farce on which many people and vested interests now depend for a living and is why it will never end...
It is indeed an industry and Simon and Focus are like Ryanair and Easyjet in their poaching of "clients".

There is a cost of getting people out there although not borne by the charity as everybody has to raise 5k as far as I know. Of that c1k must be for flights plus bed and board. 1k would employ a poor south africans for a lot of days. Domestics etc get about €15 for an 8 hour day cleaning, ironing etc over there so at say €20 a day for a labourer you could employ one for 50 days for the cost of flying an Irish person over. And they badly need the work as anybody who has been in SA can tell you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies